Other hunters lying

I'm glad this thread exists. It helps to discuss the ethics of asking where game was taken. Personally, I decided a long time ago that it was really a rude question, especially for a stranger to ask. It is along the same vein of asking to see someone's pay stubs--if they wanted to share they would, but you better at least strike up an acquaintanceship before asking such personal questions. No offense to the OP intended, but he was being polite despite your rude approach, even if you didn't mean to be rude.

Over the years I've had people pretend to know where I hunt to try to lead me to give info, ask my kids where I/we hunt, been accused of being an asshole for not sharing, and even had one guy try following me. Before I seem like too much of an asshole I'll say that in the last two seasons I've had no less than 4 elk of friends hang in my cooler, not one of which I inquired about the origin. And I've hosted many more deer of unknown origin. It's inconsiderate to ask.

So if you bump into me and see my elk and feel like asking where I got it don't be surprised if I seem like a dick because I probably just got done hiking for miles with many lbs of elk and am too tired to fabricate some white lie to make both of us feel comfortable. Now if you just want to swap stories I'm your guy and I'm sure we can be fast acquaintances.

Insomnia

Lil-Rokslider
Be way better if you misidentified the species. Elk in truck, call it a deer, etc.

(Not meant to be racist, I figured you opened the door for a reason)
That would quickly turn into a game of how ridiculous my animal of choice could get. First it's a deer, then it's a caribou, then it's a grouse, maybe a trout or a stingray after that. Could be pretty fun.

TheGDog

WKR
How do y'all think me avoiding the question with broken English and a strong Korean accent would fly?
If something like that was gonna be your ploy/tactic, why wouldn't you instead just proceed to answer the other guy fully in Korean?

Don't laugh! It works! In fact, it can work VERY well!

I'm bi-lingual fluent in Spanish and my pronunciation is spot-on Central American because I spoke it in the home for 10yrs during 1st marriage. It's awesome to see the "What the...Huh?" faces on people when you bust out with a sincere sentence (spoken in that other language) of something mundane like "I'm sorry sir, you'll have to forgive me, but I don't speak English" and when they hear the pronunciation being spot-on they get this ultra confused look on their faces, since visually I present as a generic American white dude, it's priceless!

Insomnia

Lil-Rokslider
If something like that was gonna be your ploy/tactic, why wouldn't you instead just proceed to answer the other guy fully in Korean?

Don't laugh! It works! In fact, it can work VERY well!

I'm bi-lingual fluent in Spanish and my pronunciation is spot-on Central American because I spoke it in the home for 10yrs during 1st marriage. It's awesome to see the "What the...Huh?" faces on people when you bust out with a sincere sentence (spoken in that other language) of something mundane like "I'm sorry sir, you'll have to forgive me, but I don't speak English" and when they hear the pronunciation being spot-on they get this ultra confused look on their faces, since visually I present as a generic American white dude, it's priceless!
I'm taking notes. I don't know what I'm worrying about this for, I'll most likely be honest when I tell dudes that I ain't see nothing.

Last night after getting out of the field my brothers and I stopped to get some gas at the local gas station. While filing up the tank another hunter came in to get gas and had a quartered out cow elk on a trailer.

As both trucks were filling up. I asked the hunter what unit he got the elk in, and if he got it last night or during the day. The guy told me he had a type 6 tag and got it in the NF on Sat. But the meat was still warm. Something about his story did not make sense because I pay very close attention to the units and season openings for type 6 tags. When we got back to camp I went over my notes, and realized the unit and seasons did not match, and I did not see a tag on the animal. Not sure if the guy took the animal out of season or shot it else where.

Anyways, the fact the guy lied or poached a cow out is season bugs me when the majority of us do the right thing. Rant over.
You’re a stranger, maybe they were bugged that you started asking specifics. Do your own thing, don’t worry about other hunters, and you will be bugged by things less

Sizthediz

WKR
Sorry but NEVER give up your honey hole, never. Same principle with fishing I have gone on charters here in Florida where no electronics are aloud on board ( stealing coordinates)

arock

Lil-Rokslider
I'm glad this thread exists. It helps to discuss the ethics of asking where game was taken. Personally, I decided a long time ago that it was really a rude question, especially for a stranger to ask. It is along the same vein of asking to see someone's pay stubs--if they wanted to share they would, but you better at least strike up an acquaintanceship before asking such personal questions. No offense to the OP intended, but he was being polite despite your rude approach, even if you didn't mean to be rude.

Over the years I've had people pretend to know where I hunt to try to lead me to give info, ask my kids where I/we hunt, been accused of being an asshole for not sharing, and even had one guy try following me. Before I seem like too much of an asshole I'll say that in the last two seasons I've had no less than 4 elk of friends hang in my cooler, not one of which I inquired about the origin. And I've hosted many more deer of unknown origin. It's inconsiderate to ask.

So if you bump into me and see my elk and feel like asking where I got it don't be surprised if I seem like a dick because I probably just got done hiking for miles with many lbs of elk and am too tired to fabricate some white lie to make both of us feel comfortable. Now if you just want to swap stories I'm your guy and I'm sure we can be fast acquaintances.
I'd be more curious about how it went and if generally speaking the area (northwest, south central, whatever) comes up then it does.

Meaning, were they busting brush, primarily glassing, going in with horses, did the elk stop behind a tree and did they wait them out or did they try to move around to a better vantage point and get a shot that way - stuff like that to help stratagize and make decisions in the field more than anything else being new a this thing.