Otter sleds

BooneAK

FNG
Hello! I'm thinking of an otter sled for my snowmachine, mostly for backcountry hunting, and also trailing to a cabin for weekend stays. Any recommendations on size? They range widely. I'm thinking gear, firewood, beer, hopefully a late season caribou. . . Thoughts? I'm driving a Norseman 8000.

WCB

WKR
I use a 65" x 32I think it would be the medium size. Fits perfect in the bed of the truck and isn't a bear to pull by hand if needed. I use it mostly for ice fishing. I highly recommend getting a good cover for it...You can get away with a little smaller sled that way and keep the snow off the gear and the gear in the sled.

cnelk

WKR
I have the Wilderness Series Magnum Otter.

Man, that thing is great. You may want to consider getting the bottom hyfax rails.

We go in to some lakes that are 30 miles round trip for an all day fish. Hauls plenty of needed gear.

2919F60C-BCC0-4AC9-B910-C92D652E50C7.jpeg

bairdi

FNG
They’re fine sleds for the most part. However, just be aware of their limitations. My experience so far has been that they’ve been fine until it gets pretty cold, as in -20 or so and then the plastic they’re made out of gets a bit brittle and wants to shatter. Have also busted the welds on the hitch/tongues multiple times as well.
As far as plastic sleds go, I’ve never had any issues with my Trailboggan sled (made in Canada, I think) and when it comes to hauling heavy loads over rough country on or off trail the very best has been a Cross Fox sled made by Northern Sled Works. Made almost completely from UHMW and are almost indestructible. Spendy, but will last for many years. And if you are handy, not too hard to make your own custom version that fits your needs exactly.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Pelican makes some pretty nice sleds that you can get in a kit with hyfax already installed, a hitch setup and cover. Way cheaper that way than the Otter sleds and they are pretty heavy duty as well. Snow Trek Sport 75 or 82. The 75 is comparable to the medium Otter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk