Otto NoizeBarrier Micro Ear Protection Review, By Derik Henderson

kbaerg

Lil-Rokslider
Tried to find the answer on the Otto website, but no luck. My question is: can you recharge the earpieces with a 'battery pack' like a phone or does it need 110v power?
Yes you can charge them with a battery pack
d64737347af12c762b53c0a3fcda199e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
Is the directional accuracy that good with these? That's been my biggest issue with the electronic ear pro I've used, although I will admit I haven't used any of the higher end muffs. Hearing the direction that game approaches is paramount to me, especially when it comes to those willy turkeys that always seem to approach from a different direction than I expect.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Review pushed me to order a set as well. Been looking to buy some for the past few seasons, but hadn’t pulled the trigger. I wish I would have been more diligent about hearing protection in my younger days. Would have avoided the tinnitus, hearing loss and the $5k spent on hearing aids.

Opticsplanet have these on sale for $379. Sign up for their email/text messages and get another 10% off (-$38) coupon + free shipping.

wyosteve

WKR
Post an update once you've tried them. I used mine for the first time yesterday and am not impressed. I might not have got them inserted correctly so the final review awaits trying them once more.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Post an update once you've tried them. I used mine for the first time yesterday and am not impressed. I might not have got them inserted correctly so the final review awaits trying them once more.
Not what I was hoping to hear. I should have mine mid next week. I also ordered the foam tips from Amazon that guys were recommending for better fit/seal.

I just returned from a bear hunt where I used these for the first time. Shooting a 375 H&H I didn’t want to have to deal with not having hearing protection nor did I want to fiddle with having time to insert something into my ears when the opportunity presented itself.

IMO, the Comply compression tips off of Amazon are an absolute must. Comply Professional Noise Isolating Earphone Tips for NuForce, ISOtunes PRO, Q-Jays, Etymotic Research, Westone, Shure & More P-Series Memory Foam Replacement Earbud Tips (Medium, 3-pairs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VNB0UC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_MJKF1RWHV1P5ZH8Y696G. The included foam tips aren’t all that comfortable but will work. The Comply’s are a game changer as far as ensuring comfort goes. You forget they are inserted in your ears. I placed mine on the Ottos and easily wore then 9+ hours a day without any failures, interruptions etc. Easy to discern noise direction. Blowing wind did not get amplified. They were super comfortable and money well spent. I was in pouring rain most all day and or sweating and not once did they fall out either. Remember, DO NOT turn them on until they are fully installed inside your ears. If turned in prior to installation there can be some annoying feedback through them.

Just curious if anyone has used these Otto's and also the sound gear instant fit? My buddy has the instant fit but idk is I want to be swapping batteries all the time.

Jperson

FNG
Thanks for all the reviews and comments. I have been looking for some electronic hearing protection for several years and I have yet to settle on a pair. I like the battery life of these and the fact that you can tell what direction the sound is coming from. That is important to me. Will be ordering a pair soon.

Thanks for all the reviews and comments. I have been looking for some electronic hearing protection for several years and I have yet to settle on a pair. I like the battery life of these and the fact that you can tell what direction the sound is coming from. That is important to me. Will be ordering a pair soon.
The battery life is quite long, and you can recharge them quickly by putting them in their case. With the ear buds (plugs) with replaceable batteries, the batteries start discharging the moment you remove them from the package (they are activated by air). Even if you aren't using the ear plugs, the batteries are being discharged whereas the Otto plugs are not if you turn them off.
I didn't want to carry around a pack of batteries or worry about not being able to find them to purchase when I needed them, although you can find hearing aid batteries just about any place, and they are inexpensive.
After recharging the Otto carrying case with USB cord, it will fully recharge the plugs about 20 times before it needs to be recharged itself.

Last edited:

Not what I was hoping to hear. I should have mine mid next week. I also ordered the foam tips from Amazon that guys were recommending for better fit/seal.

Personally, I found the foam inserts very comfortable, and very effective for noise cancellation. I did not care for the silicone rubber inserts that came with the Otto. They supply both so that you can decide which is best for you. I ordered the Comply inserts in reply #50 above, and did not find them as comfortable as the foam inserts that came with the Otto. Just like boots, personal fit and preference is different depending on the individual.

BackCountryMulies

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I found the foam inserts very comfortable, and very effective for noise cancellation. I did not care for the silicone rubber inserts that came with the Otto. They supply both so that you can decide which is best for you. I ordered the Comply inserts in reply #50 above, and did not find them as comfortable as the foam inserts that came with the Otto. Just like boots, personal fit and preference is different depending on the individual.
You're spot on, the inserts are a personal fitment. I have found the silicone inserts work best for me.

I found the best way to insert them is to reach over the top of your head with your other hand and pull the top of your ear up. This puts your ear canal more in a straight line, and the ear pieces fit in the ear canal better.

Last edited:

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Care to elaborate????
Preface: I have high frequency hearing loss and wear Oticon hearing aids daily.

Positives I liked about the Otto’s:
  • The charging case is very handy and works well. I used the Ottos on a 4 day elk hunt and believe I only charged the case 1 time from a battery pack I brought with.
  • As recommended by many reviews, I ordered the Comply foam inserts from Amazon and they were comfortable and sealed well. Wore the Otto’s for hours each day and they never bothered me and stayed in place while hiking. Never tried the inserts that were included with the Otto’s, since the Comply inserts fit so well. Much better in comfort than wearing ear muffs all day.
  • Sound protection. I shot my 300 RUM with muzzle break and without question there was decent amount of sound reduction, which did not leave my head ringing. I wouldn’t use them alone for long term range sessions with a mag caliber rifle, but for a few shots I was happy with the protection they provided. I think the fit of the Comply inserts contributed to this as well.
Negatives:
  • Sound amplification quality/volume settings. There’s 2 levels. Due to my hearing loss, the lower level was unusable during my hunt. Just not enough amplification. To clarify, I can hear decently without my hearing aids, but higher pitched noises/voices or in rooms with lots of background noise/conversation, things get difficult to hear clearly. Setting 2 was definitely better, but it was almost too much amplification in that there was too much garbage background noise. As I prefaced, I wear Oticon hearing aids daily and the sound quality is far and away better than the Otto’s. Did I expect $300 hearing protection to be on par with my $5k hearing aids? Absolutely not, but there’s no filtering of noise‘s with the Otto’s, like there are with higher end aids. EVERYTHING is just louder, with lots of amplified “garbage” background noise is the best way I can describe it. For me, it was difficult to isolate a stick snapping or leaves rustling from a walking elk/deer, from all the background noise being amplified. It was breezy and snowing during my hunt, which did make the conditions more difficult to hear. On completely calm days, I’m sure it would work much better, but for mnt area’s I hunt, completely calm days are not the norm. The clarity just wasn‘t good enough for me. Maybe a variable scale volume setting would be better, than just low/high. I will say that locating sound direction was good with the Otto’s. The location of the mic being over your ear canal, made it easier to locate noise direction. With units that have the mic behind your ear, it can be difficult to pinpoint sound locations.
  • I did have the amplification stop working for a period of time for some reason. Batteries were charged so that was not the issue. I turned them off/on a few times and they ended up coming back on(?)
  • This is a totally personal choice and getting picky, but I would have liked if you could get the Otto’s in a brighter color, like red/orange. I knocked one out of my ear changing jackets. It got tossed down the hill a bit and ended up taking me 10-15 minutes to luckily find it. I did put the little cord on the Otto’s after this, to help from losing one again.
Have a few other in-ear products Im going to check out over the winter. Look forward to others feedback on different products.

Last edited: