Otto NoizeBarrier Micro Ear Protection Review, By Derik Henderson

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Derik Henderson Bio pic.jpg

Derik was born and raised in Northwest Wyoming where he lives today. His passion for chasing big mule deer in the fall and black bear in the spring is only rivaled by his newly found love of chasing upland game birds over his pointing dogs. From archery, lever guns, long-range rifles, to muzzleloaders he takes full advantage of Wyoming's diverse hunting opportunities and liberal hunting dates by pursuing black bear, elk, deer, pronghorn, predators, and upland game birds. It is not uncommon for him to hunt more than 100 days a year in his home state plus annually hunting Montana, Nebraska, and any other state he gets lucky and draws a tag. He particularly enjoys hunting with his fiancé Jaci and other close friends and family. It is not uncommon to find him out scouting not only for himself but a friend or family member that drew a good tag; he loves to help others find success and often prioritizes their tag over his own. He has been fortunate to hunt many different species, states, and countries.

You may know him as @BackCountryMulies here on the forums. Give him a warm welcome and check out his first Rokslide review.

Otto NoizeBarrier Micro Ear Protection Review

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, Derik, for the helpful review of the Ottos. Quality ear protection is the one item I continue to lack, mostly because I can't figure out what to buy. (Like you, I do a lot of wing shooting, just on the water.) I'll give the Ottos a whirl, and hopefully have a similar experience.

BackCountryMulies

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, Derik, for the helpful review of the Ottos. Quality ear protection is the one item I continue to lack, mostly because I can't figure out what to buy. (Like you, I do a lot of wing shooting, just on the water.) I'll give the Ottos a whirl, and hopefully have a similar experience.
You bet! I am sure you will not be disappointed, my annual trip to Nebraska usually entails at least 2 days in a goose pit or duck blind they work great at reducing not only gun shots but the guy that thinks he can call :ROFLMAO:

cjones87

Lil-Rokslider
I've had them for a year or so. They've been great. I wear them 2 or 3 times a week for a couple hrs at a time. The battery life has been great. I've worn them for 8 plus hrs a day and they've held charge all day. The case/ battery pack lasts forever. I think I've only charged it maybe 3 times. The only bad thing I can say about them is The factory ear pieces aren't the most comfortable. I got aftermarket ones and they've been great.

Superdoo

WKR
Can you delve further into their performance in the wind? In the article you mentioned they were fine until about 10 mph of wind.
I'm in ND so 10 mph is a no wind day here. The performance is wind seems to be the hardest part to dial in as I search for decent ear pro for the upland.

Are these even tolerable in high wind?

BackCountryMulies

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking into these last year. These are on my very short list of ear buds I may try.

I've had them for a year or so. They've been great. I wear them 2 or 3 times a week for a couple hrs at a time. The battery life has been great. I've worn them for 8 plus hrs a day and they've held charge all day. The case/ battery pack lasts forever. I think I've only charged it maybe 3 times. The only bad thing I can say about them is The factory ear pieces aren't the most comfortable. I got aftermarket ones and they've been great.
what aftermarket earpieces did you go with?

BackCountryMulies

Lil-Rokslider
Can you delve further into their performance in the wind? In the article you mentioned they were fine until about 10 mph of wind.
I'm in ND so 10 mph is a no wind day here. The performance is wind seems to be the hardest part to dial in as I search for decent ear pro for the upland.

Are these even tolerable in high wind?
@Superdoo I spend a fair amount of time in ND working and know what you mean. I wore them while shooting prairie dogs around Watford a few times and didn't have any issues. The Wind distortion I notice mostly is due to gusts and on higher wind days 10+ mph turning your head just right it will pick up wind distortion, usually its momentarily but annoying. I dont think there is any electronic hearing protection that is tolerable in high wind. Side note: the Otto's have less wind distortion than my $8,000 Starkey hearing aids

kbaerg

Lil-Rokslider
I have been running these for a good 2 years now. I believe we still have a review up on LRO that I did. I have charged the main unit 3 times with the third being this last week. I have been using them mostly at NRL/PRS matches since my hunting rifles are all suppressed. With all the use I have zero complaints about them and would highly recommend them.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

does anyone have any experience with these compared to Tetra's? have really been considering dropping the money for those for a while now, but they are a significant step up in price. had never heard of the Ottos but now have me really interested for the price

BackCountryMulies

Lil-Rokslider
@BackCountryMulies do these work good under a hat? Or do they give you the annoying rustling sound everytime you move?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Good question, Unfortunately I think that's the nature of the beast when it comes to electronic ear pro. Anytime something touches it you're going to get that rustling noise. I typical wear a Stormy Kromer and dont notice it with the ear flaps down but if I wear a beanie I do notice it.