Our Personal Heroes

First: Let me say I'm already fatigued of hearing and talking about almost nothing except our current national and global health threat....to say nothing of the resultant economic injury and destruction we face as individuals, companies and a nation. I enjoy the rare moments where other topics completely distract me (temporarily) from virus-speak and help me regain some feeling of normalcy amidst the chaos.

I started this thread because I realized how many people I'm proud of and thankful to know personally at this time. All of them are doing their part...and more...to help get us through and past this awful period. They have accepted the challenge and the need to help others in spite of the hardships they themselves are experiencing. I'm sure you know one or several of these people on a personal level. This is your invitation to call them out and express a little pride or gratitude. They're contributing what they can to the battle and we will always owe them our appreciation.

rPVtXfYl.jpg

My personal hero is my wife. I'm not going to wear you out with all the examples of what she's done. She works as a technician in our (small town) medical clinic and is one of the most stalwart employees there. Basically never calls in sick. Busts her butt to get the work done. Always ready to pitch in and help coworkers. Covers for her supervisor or managers on a regular basis. Is generally loved by everyone and gives it back as easily. She is currently dealing with the realignment issues of the health crisis....trying to keep patients, coworkers and herself safe from harm. Short on supplies....long on challenges and stress. She's innovating solutions to the problems and helping flatten the problem and stress curves for her clinic. Okay....I did wear you out. Heroes will do that.

We have a lot of everyday heroes in our personal lives, and probably don't thank them enough. You know who they are. It's time to make that right. Let's roll.

WEKLGn0l.jpg

tdot

WKR
Screensho_01.jpg

My wife. ER Doc. Works at a frenetic pace, that I cant match, has enough compassion that she'll be frontline, even though she could be on Marernity Leave. Has already held down an ER dept when 3 other Dr's were quarantined. Words cant describe how proud I am of her.

Great thread Kevin. Thanks.

Last edited:

tttoadman

WKR
I love this. There is no point in liking all of these entries. I feel like I work "hard", but I am always impressed with and grateful for the selfless actions of all these people that look out for us.

Mosby

WKR
My heroes are gone. My uncle Emmett fought on Saipan and Okinowa. My uncle Neum landed on the beaches of Normandy and was taken POW at the Battle of the Bulge. He ended up in the Buchenwald concentration camp by the end of the war. My uncle Paul fought in Sicily, Italy and France. My father was a disabled vet who went through years of surgery after the war. Not a single one of them ever complained about their service or going to work when they got home. I think of them often.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
My wife as well. She's a pharmacist at Walmart, she's also due with our third child in about 3 weeks and is at work today and will be there tomorrow. She just received recognition for her hard work a couple of weeks ago by the regional director.

She's better than I could ever imagine, If I had to deal with the general public, let alone the Walmart public, every day I would have lost it years ago.

Other than that, I really don't have any heroes. I learned when I was younger people are people, there's a good chance you'll be let down if you put too much stock into someone.

Here is mine my grandpa with my kids a few years ago. He passed away but he had a huge impact on my life. He was a WWII veteran, two time cancer survivor, avid outdoorsman, a jack of all trades, and the hardest worker I've ever known. He also never missed one of my sporting events from t-ball all the way through my college playing days.IMAG0376_zpsgwexrlef.JPG

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Great idea KD...pausing to keep perspective during this challenge.

My hero is also my wife, who is an angel on earth for sure! She is my college sweetheart and life partner for a boat-load of years now. Not only does she support my connection with the outdoors and hunting, but she is a devoted special education teacher for young children with special needs.

Our daughter is a physician...and extra busy right now.

NUGGET

WKR
Great post Kevin. It’s also something I’d have to think about before answering.

OP
Kevin Dill
The one common thing about these people is they ask for no applause....no recognition for what they do. They show up on time or they are always there for someone....or they believe it's their duty to pitch in and help somehow. I think of it as filling sandbags...might seem like a monumental job but grab a shovel and get to work.

manitou1

WKR
My wife: A nurse who always puts other's needs before her own. Shows up early, stays late, seldom takes a sick day. Writes grants for economically challenged to get free healthcare and surgeries, always cooks extra for the elderly neighbors down the road... she even has paid people's mortgage payments in a time of need. Runs circles around me. Won the international Daisy Award for healthcare compassion a couple years ago.
There are many out there like this, but this one sticks around here to keep me humbled. 😏