Out of 4 states to live.....

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
WY, far from seeing mass population growth anytime soon. WA is already overrun, Idaho is well on its way and Montana is not far behind. To be honest, all of the lower 48 West will be overrun in another 20 years, can’t hide from the facts, Rocky Mountain West has awesome places to live, but everyone knows that and why they are leaving wherever they are from to move there. When wife and I are done here in CO we will be moving to Alaska.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Washington and Oregon are pretty sweet east of I5, but the rags suck and there’s a lot of competition in the woods. I’d say wy, mt or Id.

Hard to get drawn for good tags in WA. OTC seasons are pretty short too.

johnnylaw

Lil-Rokslider
Im not moving but after reading this thread it makes me sad in a way, its pretty much undeniable thT hunting as we know it will be completely destroyed over the next 50 years

Legend

WKR
Good question. Prett sad day for me when MT broke a million people. That said I can't blame people for moving here. So my vote is MT but we do get some impressive winters this Last one was warm u til february then it was just silly cold for a month straight.

Carcajou

FNG
Have several friends in all of the states, cept Washington. They all have their drawbacks. Depends what you are looking for, and if you are Old, Young, etc. Idaho, and Wyoming are where its at.

Tbunao

FNG
Recently packed up my life and left the was coast in January and am now living in MT. Wish I would have done it years ago. Only issue is there's No Vacancy here lol according to all the bumper stickers

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Recently packed up my life and left the was coast in January and am now living in MT. Wish I would have done it years ago. Only issue is there's No Vacancy here lol according to all the bumper stickers

Been told the same with Idaho. Despite everywhere apparently being full I think we all can say thank God this isn’t China where’s it’s illegal to leave your home state without permission from the government.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alaska was an amazing place to live, the 12 years we spent there were epic! There is a saying in Alaska that the weekends up there are another man's dream vacation. Lot of truth in that.... If you can go up there with a good job it is a great place to live, if you live there long enough people you connect with become like family. Spent the last 2 years in Western WA and while there are some good things about WA, I think Eastern WA would be the better spot to live for a hunter. Just took a new job and am relocating to ID this week. I'll be in the greater CDA area and having grown up North of Spokane this is like a homecoming for me! Super excited and can't wait to figure out ways to get the dog and kids out more!

johnw

FNG
Interesting to see the replies here...any of the above would be an improvement from living on the East Coast IMO :)

ODB

WKR
Been told the same with Idaho. Despite everywhere apparently being full I think we all can say thank God this isn’t China where’s it’s illegal to leave your home state without permission from the government.

I can’t believe how much houses are in Idaho....it’s the same crap that happened in 2009 during the mass Californication. ...where are all the booming industries that are employing these people so they can afford a 450k +++ house? My old house has more than doubled...for what?

But this time when the bottom drops out I’ll be buying with cash and getting a sweet deal...

I think The Big Island of Hawaii is a sleeper on all of your lists! Locals enjoy property tax breaks, most remote location from pop centers anywhere on the planet, needless to say great hunting and fishing opportunities. Just saying-18k Rio Grande turkeys living on the island can’t be wrong!

I have lived in the pnw a stone's throw from Canada my whole life so I'll keep it to what o know. For outdoor activities we have salt water and fresh water fishing. The Cascades are beautiful and offer lots of hiking. The hunting is tough blacktail deer can be challenging. Black bear and cougar are abundant. Lots of small game and waterfowl hunting too much The public land can get a bit cramped to hunt which pushes people east it's an amazing place to live in my opinion but I stay out of the big cities. I wouldn't consider moving anywhere else. Also invest in rain gear

I feel that every where I research folks complain that there are to many people, and to many hunters... I feel that way as well about areas I hunt. Yet statistics say we are losing more hunters than gaining... I'd be curious to see a report that shows historical hunting license purchases by state. My gut says the west is gaining hunters and the east is losing?? But that is just a wild hunch......
Ive lived and hunted in Michigan since the 70s. We have definitely lost hunters here. Used to sound like a war zone on opening morning of deer season. Now I hear a couple shots per hour.

pk_

WKR
I would pick any besides WA and try to be real close to the other two state lines.

I would highly suggest moving to California. Great hunting, low taxes across the board, nice people, strong family values statewide, no traffic, and affordable housing.