Out of state hunt

ERegs

FNG
So me and 2 other buddies are headed to Shawnee state forest Ohio for a week long bow hunt. Trying to get on some of these big Ohio bucks. Were coming from Pennsylvani. Be an 8hr ride for us so well e scout before hand. Slight chance we will be able to do a scout trip this summer. . Going to camp at the state park and hunt the forest. Any pointers on what to do or not to do hunting so far from home. Never done self guided hunt like this for whitetail before. So I guess what I am asking is what’s the best one to get on deer you’ve never hunted in an area you’ve never been in a week. Thanks

Simple.

Walk till you find good sign.

Play rhe wind and sit all day. Repeat.

No shortcuts to this hunt. A little luck and a lot of persistence is what it takes.

Yoder

WKR
Check out Dan Infalt on Youtube. If you are in any kind of hill country, check the leeward side of hills. Top third of the hill and look for thick cover. I always look on the South and East side and anything in between due to prevailing winds in the area. You are almost guaranteed to find bedding and sign. I just did this the other day in an area I've never been to. Walked in to a ledge on the East side of a hill and found 5 beds and a ton of trails. I setup a camera to see if anything is worth while. I would pick up a couple cell cams too. You can get real time info that way. Good luck. Let us know how you do.

Travis907

WKR
Put boots on the ground and walk till you find good sign. Get away from other hunters. Play the wind and try to locate good used trails and bedding areas. Might not be a bad idea to find water and a good stand of acorn trees. Definitely E Scout the area before you go and most importantly have fun!

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
Lock everything of value when you leave camp or your truck. Thiers lots of desperate people out thier now days. We’ve gone so far as to put I sighn in camp entrance when we leave that states-
“Camp protected by two carry and concealed weapons hunters and video surveillance “

We’ve never had a problem since

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure your buddies all have 5 days worth of hunt plans. First time hunting an area keeping all cuddled in the same area is a recipe for failure. Remain mobile and set out midday to set a spot to hunt that night and come back to in the mornin with a favorable wind. Then you can move midday again. Spend the first half day driving the areas backroads and get the feel for the areas PRESSURE. That’s what will lead you to productive spots

OP
ERegs

ERegs

FNG
Well we got skunked boys. Going back this year even more pumped to get after them. In the long run were I screwed up was not covering enough land in one area. I think I was jumping around to too many different areas and not walk enough on one big area. Have to put way more miles scouting during midday this next go around then last time. Already did a scouting tripped last week for this coming season. First time having soo much land to hunt in one area.