Out of State Hunters-Idaho

There has been a lot of talk recently about Out of State hunters in Idaho. The conversation has been around Idaho lowering the amount of tags and increase the cost. As an Idaho Resident I had been on the fence of the argument and could see both sides of the story. That has changed however. In the first 4 weekends of this season I have ran into more people than ever, with most of them being from out of state. That is not the main problem as I understand that happens with hunting Public Land. The issue that I have ran into this year has been the amount of Out of State hunters breaking the regulations. The amount of ATV's and Motorcycles on closed trails has been crazy. Opening weekend we counted at least 3 different groups doing this. There has also been a huge increase of Motorcycles coming in on hiking trails that are closed to Motorized vehicles. We use these trails and then branch off of them. We have watched herds of Elk run the opposite direction when they hear an engine coming up the drainage. I know this doesn't account for every Out of State hunter and I am sure that locals do it as well, but the way that Out of State hunters have reacted to us talking to them about the Regs has been sad. Most try to argue that "local residents told them that it was okay and it shouldn't bother us". Has anyone else seen this? Or have I just ran into some bad luck? Does IDFG even regulate this?

jetsled

FNG
No...your spot on. Idaho is the wild west for most of these clowns. They do whatever they want. Now you see the light.....its unfortunate for some of the good guys that venture into Idaho to hunt. Because yes, I've met a few great guys as well.

My experience is just the opposite. More residents hunters in areas I’ve never seen guys hunt before. Think it’s ok to chainsaw around a gate to drive their side by side in, run motorcycles on restricted trails etc. leave trash on the mountain and at the trailhead. Have this “ phuck you I live here so I’ll do what I want ” mentality.
Non res tag allotment has been the same for a looong time. It’s just with the turn down of the economy in 2008 we didn’t have a lot of non res hunters willing to spend money to come here and hunt. Fast forward to today and a booming economy and people are willing to spend money and tags are selling out at the beginning of August, which I haven’t seen in a looong time.
Most non res I run into are super friendly and respectful of our state.
I’ve lived in a couple bordering states and it’s always been the same sad tune, “ non residents are ruinin mah huntin “.

mitchellbk

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on the zone I guess. I've yet to run into a non-resident in the mountains. I see them driving around a lot though.

On the motorized thing, yea I think that's a problem everywhere. I've seen trials bike tire tracks go off trail and all the way up to a mtn peak, and I've been on family hikes in the summer with dirtbikes going uphill behind us. Not much you can do unless you call it in right away.

NoWiser

WKR
I know this thread is about Idaho, but in when I've hunted Wyoming I see FAR more residents running ATVs illegally than nonresidents, and it's not even close.

no matter the state, good or not so good hunting …. you'll ALWAYS come across the "AHOLES" and they know who they are - it is why the correctional institutions are over crowded as well - IF we "drop a dime" each time we witness anything WITH enough intel to provide LE a foundation for follow up, there might be less of them and THAT is a darn good start

Just did a drop camp hunt with my dad in the Lemhi range (from out of state -- sorry). One guy on a motorcycle was going so fast down the trail that he had to lay his bike down so he didn't run into the horses. Man was the guide steaming mad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mitchellbk

Lil-Rokslider
I know this thread is about Idaho, but in when I've hunted Wyoming I see FAR more residents running ATVs illegally than nonresidents, and it's not even close.

This has been my experience also in ID/WY - I spend a lot of time in both states. What's funny though, when it comes to Yellowstone it's ALWAYS the tourists doing the illegal stuff, or maybe the locals just don't get caught lol?

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
Just spent 6 days in the pandhandle. Lost count of how many Washington license plates I saw. I'd say they made up about 80% of the out of state hunters. I didn't see anyone breaking off trails illegally in our area but I saw some tracks up high where they shouldn't have been. Most of the weekend warriors had no clue where the elk actually were anyway. I see it from both sides because I've lived it from both sides now. Got a lot of side eye when I was out there with my Minnesota plates. Apparently I should have attached a born and raised in Idaho sticker somewhere on my rig to give myself more street cred!

mitchellbk

Lil-Rokslider
Just did a drop camp hunt with my dad in the Lemhi range (from out of state -- sorry). One guy on a motorcycle was going so fast down the trail that he had to lay his bike down so he didn't run into the horses. Man was the guide steaming mad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's only a matter of time and we can replace motorcycle with mtn bike in the statement above. There's trails (probably a whole canyon/trailhead) around here I avoid hiking because of all the downhill mtn bike traffic.

Just spent 6 days in the pandhandle. Lost count of how many Washington license plates I saw. I'd say they made up about 80% of the out of state hunters. I didn't see anyone breaking off trails illegally in our area but I saw some tracks up high where they shouldn't have been. Most of the weekend warriors had no clue where the elk actually were anyway. I see it from both sides because I've lived it from both sides now. Got a lot of side eye when I was out there with my Minnesota plates. Apparently I should have attached a born and raised in Idaho sticker somewhere on my rig to give myself more street cred!

The white plate infection is real up here.
LOL@ the “ born and raised” idea.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Y’all send me some coordinates for the locations of some Merriam turkeys in Idaho and I promise I won’t use a 4-wheeler to hunt them.

K

Kootenay Hunter

I've gotten past the 'education' phase nowadays due to flippant attitudes.

If you've bought the licences and tags, you can read the regs and follow them. Ignorance has no place.

Breaking the laws/regs means a call to the F&G, when in service, otherwise info and photos and reporting when back in town. I don't reason with a drunk driver on the road, I just call the cops...

K

Kootenay Hunter

I think it's only a matter of time and we can replace motorcycle with mtn bike in the statement above. There's trails (probably a whole canyon/trailhead) around here I avoid hiking because of all the downhill mtn bike traffic.

Just wait until they're all electric!

IdahoElk

WKR
I live and hunt in units 48-49 and can say hunting pressure is the most I've seen in 30yrs. Out of state hunters come for a week and probably don't realize it's crowded BUT if you live here it's cars parked in every drainage ALL season,it's to the point that unless you pack in deep and do a multi day hunt it's ridiculous to think you can get into Elk that haven't been pressured.

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
When they allow hunters to use e bikes on trails currently used for mtn bikes only they'll have killed Elk hunting in central Idaho completely.

i-KGxvDk4-X3.jpg

chops24

WKR
Plan A: Watch all the youtube videos you can on Backcountry elk hunting, go on Rokslide and ask for someones non-honey hole.

Plan B: drive your ATV all over the mountain because walking is hard and nobody gave you any handouts that you were entitled to.

Ive never hunted Idaho, but it is everywhere.

K

Kootenay Hunter

What's kind of weird is that hunting numbers have dwindled over the past decade. I can only imagine the issues people will have if hunter numbers double in the next decade with 3R initiatives. Unless folks start staying in their own area, or states start limiting NR severely, it could potentially 'get even worse'