Out of State Hunters-Idaho

-Non-resident, just got back from Idaho. Never saw an atv or SxS. Hiked-in about 4 miles.
-Spent 6 days in backcountry, met 3 groups. Two pairs from Missouri were great. One pair from Idaho also great. Only saw one solo hunter while in the chase on the mountain. A quick wave and we backed out of his area and moved on.
-Were into elk everyday. Most instances came within 70 yds, one instance within bow range, but couldn't close the deal for various reasons.
-Picked up about 1.5 lbs of trash left by others
-We loved it and the lord willing, we will be back

Have I offended any residents by any of my actions? Or are you only upset because I'm a non-resident?

WorleyElk

FNG
FNG here and I had to write something. I'm a refugee from WA. I've owned a cabin in Worley, ID for the better part of 12 years. Which means, Property Taxes, Boat Registration, trailer etc. This is the first year I've said to hell with WA state. The laws, the fees, the 4x4 jamborees, the parking of trucks in migration routes, the overall decline in Elk population, the sheer lack of hunter respect. Just look at WDFW Instagram page and Idaho's, unreal. The evidence is clear. And the chart-topper for me putting in for tags over 10 years and never getting drawn etc.

I've personally found outside of the "Local" I own this National forest hillside hunters, most folks have welcomed our group and are happy we are there and spending money. I've personally talked to ID Game Biologist, National Forest rangers, etc. on multiple occasions to narrow down an area to hunt this year. We've spent weekends out scouting, hiking and talking to folks and overall the reception is good.

Now to my point. I choose to spend my vacation time and hard-earned money on tags for Idaho. Like anything out there, there will always be assholes. I challenge anyone to find a hobby or sport where there isn't. Those that live in Idaho. I'm jealous, I'll live there in 9 years permanently. I love it. But is limiting NR Tags good for Idaho as a whole or just good for s few hunters. Is it good for wildlife? Is my wolf tag any less important than yours? Is it good for the local economies and businesses?

I'm happy to expand this conversation over beers in St. Maries, or CDA with anyone. We're all looking for a great outdoor experience, thats what this website seems to be about. I'm hoping to get that experience in Idaho. TTYL.

5BtoSB

FNG
I was born and raised in ID and have been living out of state for the past few years. I just got back from a 9 day hunt near my home town and was blown away by how many hunters were in the woods. 3 mornings in a row I was passed by ATV's or UTV's in the dark on the way up the mountain. half way through my hunt I backpacked in for a few nights to try and dodge some of the pressure. I'm curious to see how the capped non-res tags go for next season.

DerkPerk

Lil-Rokslider
^^^ this.....wish everyone would make it their business to report lawbreakers, all the time.

It like saying if you don’t vote, you can’t complain. Make the call people.

I’m an out of state hunter that follows the rules. I have made more than one call to my local DNR to report foul play. They count on us hunters to hold fellow hunters accountable for their actions. It’s not “let’s see what we can get away with”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washington Transplant living in Idaho since 2017.

I'll cut to the chase here and offer my opinions on what I see in 6C where I spend the majority of my off time and working at.

What I usually see is the people from Nez Perce County (N) trashing and not being law abiding. The majority of the people I've seen driving in areas that they shouldn't be is 6C and N residents. My experience with Washington guys is they do leave trash behind, but are overall friendly and respecting the area. Out of state hunters do contribute a lot of revenue in towns like Pierce and the locals know that, but they do hold a lot of grudge against Washington and California people as they feel like they are invading the area (which they are). I met the majority of the Washington guys who own a lot of Pierce and they've been nothing but nice.

Anybody who disrespects and area or trashes it needs an ass chewing by the other law abiding sportsman. We need to police ourselves.

sasquatch

WKR
I am a non resident, and I just got back from hunting a well known capped tag zone. I ran into ALOT of clowns that ride up in their ATVS at the crack of daylight while I’ve been in there an hr listening to elk bugle and working in close in the dark. Ppl would be surprised what’s around if they’d walk a little.

However, they were ALL residents. So don’t just blame us non residents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
-Non-resident, just got back from Idaho. Never saw an atv or SxS. Hiked-in about 4 miles.
-Spent 6 days in backcountry, met 3 groups. Two pairs from Missouri were great. One pair from Idaho also great. Only saw one solo hunter while in the chase on the mountain. A quick wave and we backed out of his area and moved on.
-Were into elk everyday. Most instances came within 70 yds, one instance within bow range, but couldn't close the deal for various reasons.
-Picked up about 1.5 lbs of trash left by others
-We loved it and the lord willing, we will be back

Have I offended any residents by any of my actions? Or are you only upset because I'm a non-resident?

Thanks for picking up after others..........

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
Buddy of mine and I are non residents and we hunted with a resident that works for the BLM in Idaho last week. We drove on a motorized trail and parked. My buddy that works for the BLM ran into a couple guys and they tried telling him it was closed to motorized. He finally explained to them how it was motorized. We did see a couple others drive on it as well.
Lots of hunters in that area, everyone was really cool that we ran into. We wanted to get away from people and decided to hunt another place. We backpacked in for 5 days and seen lots of elk. Ran into one hunter the entire time. Never punched a tag, but came close.

BullElk

FNG
all of you claiming to have seen illegal ATV traffic this year what sources were you using to determine that?

Wrench

WKR
I'm only familiar with the north 3rd of the state, but it's incredibly friendly to motorized traffic.

Just plan your hunt accordingly. Don't hunt roads and don't hunt destinations...

Hunt elk.

BullElk

FNG
I'm only familiar with the north 3rd of the state, but it's incredibly friendly to motorized traffic.

Just plan your hunt accordingly. Don't hunt roads and don't hunt destinations...

Hunt elk.
the same goes for a lot of the rest of it.
I’ll take eyes for 200 Alex.
what your eyes see and your brain thinks is illegal because you hiked 5 miles to get there doesn't necessarily mean its illegal. theres a point to my question.

Idaho has been the #1 state in terms of population growth for the last several years. I bet a ton of the “non resident” plates are actually from people who are now residents. Just look at this thread with all the people claiming that they have recently moved to Idaho.

The kind of people that are attracted to living in Idaho are looking for the outdoor access. I think thats why people are reporting seeing more and more people outdoors.

Lots of new people moving to the state = lots of new outdoor people = lots of new people unfamiliar with rules.

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t give a good damn what state they call home, illegal is illegal. The last group of 5 ORVs I saw up a closed road had killed a bull...I asked who shot it (being friendly) and nobody would answer me. I’ll let everyone just assume whether they were R/NR.
I enjoy hunting so much that I don’t let it get to me. That being said I’m gonna be turning in TONS of people going in on closed roads this year.

I don’t give a good damn what state they call home, illegal is illegal. The last group of 5 ORVs I saw up a closed road had killed a bull...I asked who shot it (being friendly) and nobody would answer me. I’ll let everyone just assume whether they were R/NR.
I enjoy hunting so much that I don’t let it get to me. That being said I’m gonna be turning in TONS of people going in on closed roads this year.

For those who have turned people in for road / trail violations what does law enforcement do? What have your experiences been?

2AMedic

FNG
I’ll be hunting outside of Boise this season as an out of stater accompanying my buddy who is a resident. It’ll be my first time hunting out there so I’m excited. Sucks to hear some nonresidents are leaving a bad taste in the residents mouth. I promise not to be one of them.

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider
Read this thread carefully. I have hunted the Idaho Panhandle for the last several years. I absolutely love Idaho....however, there are just too many guys out there. I am in favor of a drawn system for non- residents. That would be a game changer. It works...seen it first hand. And- not sure I will ever go back to hunting N. Idaho due to just too many guys. When a guy is drawn after paying a premium for hunting privilege in another state, I believe there is a little more appreciation when there are 'hoops' to jump through. Skin in the same.

There are pros and cons to whatever decision is made. Additionally-Im all about outlawing all motorized (e-machines) and keep this as organic as possible. This levels the playing field and provides everyone with the same potential hunting experiences.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

ridgefire

WKR
Read this thread carefully. I have hunted the Idaho Panhandle for the last several years. I absolutely love Idaho....however, there are just too many guys out there. I am in favor of a drawn system for non- residents. That would be a game changer. It works...seen it first hand. And- not sure I will ever go back to hunting N. Idaho due to just too many guys. When a guy is drawn after paying a premium for hunting privilege in another state, I believe there is a little more appreciation when there are 'hoops' to jump through. Skin in the same.

There are pros and cons to whatever decision is made. Additionally-Im all about outlawing all motorized (e-machines) and keep this as organic as possible. This levels the playing field and provides everyone with the same potential hunting experiences.

Are you all for outlawing horses as well them to keep it a even playing field?

Just my 2 cents.
[/QUOTE]

Wrench

WKR
Funny thing is in the last three years I've encountered exactly 5 people in all seasons combined in the panhandle while physically hunting. Seen a zillion on the roads though.

IdahoElk

WKR
For those who have turned people in for road / trail violations what does law enforcement do? What have your experiences been?

The F&G officer I contacted has always followed up and cited the violator,even drove 2 1/2hrs to ticket a police officer for a illegal camp.
Poachers usually lose hunting privileges for at least the following year or more and are fined,sentence depends on circumstances and previous history. They take it seriously by me.