Out of state hunting area considerations

hjcruger

FNG
Hi, folks. I'm working on developing a proposal for an independent geography study here at Middlebury. I would like to develop a GIS model that attempts to locate the most appropriate hunting areas for an individual depending on what weight they give each variable in the model. I haven't decided whether I am going to do this for deer or elk, or the state from which the data will be analyzed (likely Colorado, Montana, or Idaho depending on which species I choose). Here's where I would like everyone's help. What variables do you all look for when choosing an area to hunt public land out of state? So far I'm thinking: amount of contiguous public land, average severity of terrain (slope), success rates (antlered and antlerless), percent of animals harvested with X points or more, hunters per square mile, and means by which the animal may be taken. Let me know if you can think of anything else that one may consider when scoping out a spot to hunt on public land out of state. Thanks, and shoot straight.