WTB Out of State Private Party to FFL Firearms Purchase - Can someone help me with some information?

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve never bought a gun online and I’m just looking for how the general process should work so both parties are protected. If anyone out there with a lot of experience in this could PM me I’d really appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Rating - 100%
7   0   0

Good luck,

Eddie

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If you want to send to an individual FFL holder you can search for registered FFL dealers in your area. Popular websites like gunbrokers usually have search feature you can use. Or you can ask for a referral. Also gun shops are already going to be FFL dealers, so you can use them as well for the transfer.

Everyone will have a slightly different fee for the transfer but $25-30 is typical. This is for the overhead of accepting the shipment and processing paperwork.

A private party usually needs to contact the FFL holder and exchange some info, including license, serial numbers, and shipping info. Once that is done the transfer can occur after you've paid the private party. I recommend using a payment method that you can dispute the transaction if the private party should fail to deliver. Try to avoid cash or money order deals.

The shipment goes to the FFL dealer. Prior to exchange you will have to fill out standard background check paperwork that the FFL dealer submits. Once cleared you can take possession of the firearm just like you would if you were buying it from the store.

OP
ChurchAl

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you want to send to an individual FFL holder you can search for registered FFL dealers in your area. Popular websites like gunbrokers usually have search feature you can use. Or you can ask for a referral. Also gun shops are already going to be FFL dealers, so you can use them as well for the transfer.

Everyone will have a slightly different fee for the transfer but $25-30 is typical. This is for the overhead of accepting the shipment and processing paperwork.

A private party usually needs to contact the FFL holder and exchange some info, including license, serial numbers, and shipping info. Once that is done the transfer can occur after you've paid the private party. I recommend using a payment method that you can dispute the transaction if the private party should fail to deliver. Try to avoid cash or money order deals.

The shipment goes to the FFL dealer. Prior to exchange you will have to fill out standard background check paperwork that the FFL dealer submits. Once cleared you can take possession of the firearm just like you would if you were buying it from the store.

Thanks a lot for the info! Is PayPal G&S a good payment method to use? Other recommendations?

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
But remember if you use PP, and they get wind of what you used it for, they are the ones with all the power.

Good luck,

Eddie

OP
ChurchAl

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Any payment methods besides PayPal that have less of an issue with boomsticks?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not to put a wrinkle in anything but almost all of this depends on which states are involved. I bought one this month from Idaho, I'm in Oregon. Seller was a non ffl holding person. All that was required was he shipped gun to my ffl here in Oregon. He packaged it. Inside the box he had to put a copy of his driver's license and his address etc. He shipped it UPS. Put insurance on it. Disclosed what the contents were and shipped it to my FFL. Once it was received we did normal background check and bam. I got my new to me 300 RUM. Side note. We did use PP. I described my sales note as a "Big pew pew"

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I would steer clear of PayPal because if you have an issue and either party mentions its a gun, its over. So if you are the one buying it and the guy screws you, all he has to say is I shipped the gun and Paypal washes their hands of it. Not worth it because you have no protection for guns.

Kelk

WKR
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
PayPal will close your account forever if they catch wind, d ask for me it’s not worth it as I use my account all the time and there’s no protection anyhow on that kind of purchase. I have done USPS money order several times with success. If they screw you then it becomes mail fraud. At least that’s what I’ve been told. If they use an FFL for the sale and shipment then you can at least be assured the rifle/pistol is at least shipped before transferring funds. A lot of the transaction is faith in the other guy not being a dirtbag. So doing your homework on the fella is paramount.

antelopedundee

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I wouldn't count on much help from the usps unless it is a large amount. Safest way IMO is a credit card even if you have to pay 3% more, since you can always do a chargeback, assuming that your CC company doesn't operate like PP when it comes to guns.