outdated??

this might be a dumb random question.

Do you guys feels today's rifles will be outdated, lets say in 10 years? With the way modern technology is going?

Will my new browning x bolt hells canyon be a thing of the past in 10 years., a dinosaur?

2ski

WKR
No. Because fair chase is a key to our hunting in North America. As technology grows, it's often met with laws that limit or make illegal its use. Drones, ect. As long as fair chase continues to be important, your gun will still be relevant.

sdupontjr

WKR
No, aside from fair chase, my early 90's browning abolt medallion 7mag is still a thing of beauty and still kills.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What technology could change the bolt action rifle? It is a very mature tech.

The newest technology is the new steel Bartlien is using that is harder and supposedly offers longer barrel life. Anything else are tweaks of design.

I mean, I don't see blasters being available any time soon. But most hunters would probably still shoot like stormtroopers... lol

No, you're fine, it's the ammo that will be outdated.
That is, once the Programable-Heat-seeking ammo hits the market.
When a guy can just go pick up a box of say, '300" Bull ammo', send it into the hills and wait for a confirmation text of coordinates... Well, you'll just throw the old stuff away.
But you'll always need something to shoot it with, and the Hell's canyon is a fine choice! ;)

OP
F
i want to make sure my kid doesn't think his old man has junk when he starts hunting in 7 years hahah

i want to make sure my kid doesn't think his old man has junk when he starts hunting in 7 years hahah
If you raise them right, they will want one just like it.

My 19 yr old and I had our first Antelope trip planned last year in Wyoming. About a month before we were going to leave, he wanted to buy a Browning BAR in .30-06 like I have. Mine is 20 years old and he has seen and heard all the stories of things it has killed. So we go on the hunt for a new modern one. Visit a local gun shop to put one on order and they had a used one hanging behind the counter. It was the original version of the BAR. Serial number put it at 1970. He walked out with it and killed an Antelope Buck on opening morning less than a month later. Let’s just say he his hooked on the Ol’ BAR and his is 30 years older than mine lol

wyosam

WKR
The only thing I can see outdating many of todays rifles would be if the “cheap” stocks become something more useful than the current standard floppy plastic. If making them from carbon fiber becomes the standard, then the plastic stock will be a dinosaur. Wood and carbon will always have a place. I don’t see chassis becoming the primary style of hunting rifle. Or maybe I’m just hoping that. Because I’ve lost my damn mind, the wife and I are expecting a new critter next fall. My other kid is 20. Obviously, at the first indication the wife was pregnant, it was time to get to work building this kid a rifle. I decided this should be a more traditional build. Building off a model 7 I’ve had forever with a laminate stock (that isn’t a funny shaped thumb hole in zombie green). Reliable scope with good glass (Maven RS2). Rebarreling in 7-08 Ackley, mostly because the .243 barrel is shot out. Short stock, 18” threaded stainless barrel. I’ll be able to load it down with light bullets early on, and ramp it up as they grow. I’m such a good dad, I’ll even fire from all their brass and make sure the barrel is well broken in.

Quality rifles will keep doing what they do roughly for ever.

Killed a bull elk 2 years ago with a ‘62 Remington 700 in 30-06. I was four years old when this gun was built. I dont think the wheels are coming off any time soon. It’s going to my oldest grandson in my will.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Higher pressures will be the wave of the future. Look at what hoplite arms is doing. Our current rifles will become dated since they will need to confirm with the “old” spec.

That's gonna be an interesting experiment, I have been watching that, I wonder what it will bring.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's probably the next logical step in advancement. A higher max pressure "standard" opens the door for actual new case design, potentially new bullet designs, obviously new actions designs, new suppressor designs, etc., etc., etc.

More than likely, it will be a new niche in the market as opposed to completely revolutionizing the current market. But from a hunting standpoint, I think most would be on board with having shorter barrels AND higher muzzle velocities.
Besides Hoplite, Sig has the higher pressure .270 round they talked about with the Cross release. I haven't followed up on that. Pushing the pressure higher does require redesign of a lot of components from bottom to top. That might yield some interesting things.

Yes, if we can get velocity from shorter barrels, I would be all about that.

archp625

WKR
No not unless you want the newest thing out there. I'm sure in 10 years browning will have a different stock, different cerakote, muzzle brake, different camo. You gun will be perfect in 10 years.

I think machining will allow for much cheaper and easier to assemble precision rifles.
I forsee alot of smiths just being cnc operators.

And they will be more likely Ar15 lego assembly.

wyosam

WKR
Higher pressures will be the wave of the future. Look at what hoplite arms is doing. Our current rifles will become dated since they will need to confirm with the “old” spec.

Specs are specs. There is no creating new spec for old cartridges. Just as they have always done, if they want higher pressure, its either a wildcat or a new SAAMI cartridge. There are still very popular cartridges that are over a hundred years old. Factory ammo still has to fire safely in those older rifles. That means in a modern rifle, a hand loader can likely wring a bunch more performance out of those classics safely. We’ll see higher pressure cartridges, and probably longer/heavier for caliber bullets than we are seeing now. At some point the twist required to stabilize them is going to hit a point where going faster is going to start creating problems. That applies to twist rates and muzzle velocity. There are already some absolute lazers out there, but it comes at a cost. Maybe the big revolution will be barrels mounted with Velcro so when you break one in, then burn out the throat in the same range trip you can rip it off and start on the next one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

manitou1

WKR
I see optics seem to be making gains every year or two. Guns? They have been about the same for over half a century... even longer. The biggest change is synthetic stocks and manufacturing processes. Even most quality bullets such as the Partition and Accubond have been around for decades. I don't see today's rifles being obsolete in your life time.
New designer cartridges seem to be popping up at a mind blowing pace but in actuality, they can't do anything more than what has been on the market for decades except some will burn a barrel out faster. 🥴

Mmmmm...I am sure there will be innovation. High pressure. Long bullets. Caseless cartridges. Materials. Bull pup hunting rigs. But I bet There still are a ton of critters dropped this year and 10 or 20 years from now with some vintage hardware. I picked up a marlin 30-30 from a buddy that is almost as old as me this year and reflects a design that stretches back to the 19th century. I am the third owner of that gun and expect it has killed many more deer than I have.

I doubt my 6.5 creedmor tikka will be anywhere near the bleeding edge of hunting innovation in 10-20 years but I expect it will still be good medicine for some critters as long as I can do my part.