Outdoor Activities to do in Wyoming

jeffpg

WKR
Hey guys, I normally find myself in Wyoming after drawing a good hunting permit, but this time I am up here on a work assignment for 3 months. I will spend the month of August in the Cheyenne area before going to Casper for a couple of months. I won't have a great deal of time off, but should have a weekend or two here & there.

I brought plenty of camping, fishing, and hunting gear with me and I am looking for some cool stuff to do. I have hunted deer, elk and antelope in the state, and would enjoy chasing goats up in one of the predominately private land units as I have done before, but I may not have the time to do that when it's available. Hiking in to a good fishing spot would be next on the list, but I haven't had much time to research that yet.

I am open to any and all suggestions, and your input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeff

hammerguy

FNG
Hey guys, I normally find myself in Wyoming after drawing a good hunting permit, but this time I am up here on a work assignment for 3 months. I will spend the month of August in the Cheyenne area before going to Casper for a couple of months. I won't have a great deal of time off, but should have a weekend or two here & there.

I brought plenty of camping, fishing, and hunting gear with me and I am looking for some cool stuff to do. I have hunted deer, elk and antelope in the state, and would enjoy chasing goats up in one of the predominately private land units as I have done before, but I may not have the time to do that when it's available. Hiking in to a good fishing spot would be next on the list, but I haven't had much time to research that yet.

I am open to any and all suggestions, and your input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeff
Not sure if you're a bird hunter or even just like seeing them, but chasing around for giant Sage grouse is really cool.

You should consider hiking into the North Platte River for some fishing. I've been in that Sixmile Gap area just across the border from Colorado and the fishing was pretty good, good eaters with heavy shoulders. The local shops will only talk dry flies but I did well dredging them up with Pat's Rubber Legs and other large nymphs. This was July though, could be too warm now, but worth some further research.

hammerguy

FNG
Yes sir, that holds great interest for me. Where may I be able to access ground to do this on?
Head west outta Casper. Look for big expanses of flat country filled with sage brush. Lots of property to the north of HWY 26 is BLM.
Camp out the day of 10/20 and be ready for season opener on the 21st.
Not the hardest bird to hit, although deceptive due to their size, but really fun to just watch through binos.

wyosteve

WKR
Hike the trail to the top of Medicine Bow Peak. Quick drive from Cheyenne. Only, be aware, get to the top and back down by early afternoon when the t-storms roll in. You can camp at the Sugarloaf Rec. area and fish some of the alpine lakes as well.

wytx

WKR
An archery range up at Curt Gowdy Park.
Maybe head over to Saratoga for the brewfest on Aug 17 and then some fishing. Sage grouse over that way too, west of town, for later.
Small stream fishing in Sybille canyon area for nice browns and some brookies. Walleye in Grayrocks and Glendo.