Outdoor Edge ZipBlade

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
Is anyone using the Outdoor Edge Zipblades? I was on a hunt and the guide swore by it for the guthook feature with the blunt tip. Made a lot of sense to have the blunt tip that close the innards. Ice used the sharp guthooks before and they are nice.

541hunter

WKR
I didn’t try the zip blade but did try their new replaceable gut blade (similar to the zip blade) this year on my son’s buck. It was great to use anytime I was trying make long cuts through the hide like when gutting or skinning up the shanks. I did find they tended to dull quickly but it was better than dulling my main blade. Have 3 more deer tags and an elk tag to fill between my wife and son so should get some more testing done.

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Is anyone using the Outdoor Edge Zipblades? I was on a hunt and the guide swore by it for the guthook feature with the blunt tip. Made a lot of sense to have the blunt tip that close the innards. Ice used the sharp guthooks before and they are nice.
I bought one earlier in the year, but haven't had a chance to use it. I like what I see, but cant give any actual feedback on game as yet.

OP
jzeblaz

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
I bought one earlier in the year, but haven't had a chance to use it. I like what I see, but cant give any actual feedback on game as yet.
Nice! Good luck and I hope you get a chance to let it work. We went 7/8 tags on mule and pronghorn this week. Got me thinking about getting one.

You tuning your own rifles @rifletuner?

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Nice! Good luck and I hope you get a chance to let it work. We went 7/8 tags on mule and pronghorn this week. Got me thinking about getting one.

You tuning your own rifles @rifletuner?
Hi mate

That sounds like good work with deer & antelope. I mainly hunt bigger deer (sambar in Australia) so hoping the blade will help with breaking them down.

The handle is from 20 years of shooting competition, where getting the best out of my rifles is super important. It kind of encapsulates me in a word (technically 2 words). (y) (y) (y)

There really is no reason to have a gut hook style on a knife. Just slow down a little bit and use the very tip of your knife. Another better way is to make a small incision in the belly, turn your knife so the end of the handle is now inside the belly pushing the insides down. Now, use the very back of the knife edge where it meets the handle and just push right down the belly to open it up. The knife handle and your hand will push everything down and out of the way. I’ve gutted thousands of animals without the need of a gut hook to open the hide or the belly.

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
There really is no reason to have a gut hook style on a knife. Just slow down a little bit and use the very tip of your knife. Another better way is to make a small incision in the belly, turn your knife so the end of the handle is now inside the belly pushing the insides down. Now, use the very back of the knife edge where it meets the handle and just push right down the belly to open it up. The knife handle and your hand will push everything down and out of the way. I’ve gutted thousands of animals without the need of a gut hook to open the hide or the belly.

Yes, you can definitely get by using a knife as you are suggesting. Personally I prefer NOT to work with my fingers guiding the blade like you describe as I dont like the risk of slicing my fingers that comes with that technique. Thats one reason why I added the zip blade into my kit as it helps me avoid having to work that close to my hand. And the zip blade should help with all the skin removal cuts like pealing the legs, etc.

Granted a lot of people will want to strip out the weight that comes with adding in an additional knife, because as you say, one knife can make all the cuts. But I feel the zip blade is light enough that I can live with the compromise of the weight for what I hope is extra speed and convenience, plus a little more safety. I'll see if I still feel that way after I have used it on a few trips

By all means, if you feel safer using it then I’m all for that. No one wants a bad slice out in the field. If in the future you feel it’s no longer needed then the best option would be to add a lightweight cut resistance glove. I usually get my worst cuts on the kill floor. Usually from reaching inside to cut loose anything that keeps the insides from rolling all the way out. It’s cutting blind basically. I do a half gutless method in the field. Skin and quarter one side then open the belly along the last rib rolling everything to one side. Roll over and repeat the process without the insides. Makes rolling over much easier and pulling the full tenderloin is easier.

TX_Diver

WKR
I use it all the time butchering stuff (mostly sheep) at the house.

Have used it on some deer, antelope, elk, etc. too and love it.

I've bought and sold a few other knives and keep coming back to the outdoor edge swingblaze with the zip blade. I have never used a traditional guthook for comparison, but the zip blade is great IMO.