Outdoor Research pants thread

snowplow

WKR
Outdoor Research is a cool company with a killer warranty good prices and solid colors. I've had a few of their things but not pants yet. Let's hear about your outdoor research pants.

Right now I'm particularly interested in finding out a little bit more about the Cirque pants. Anybody use them?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

LandYacht

WKR
I’ve got a couple pairs of Ferrosi and Voodoo and think they are great pants. The Voodoo inseam is a tad shorter than the Ferrosi, but I prefer the slightly heavier fabric of Voodoo over the Ferrosi, they don’t get thread pulls like the Ferrosi does when snagged by thorns.

No experience with the Cirque, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Could you compare the two? I cant find much, thats why l figured it was just different cut.

Also how do they shed water or take a dwr?

Based on the specs, the voodoo and ferrosi are different materials. If the ferrosi pant is similar to the jacket, they would be quite water and wind resistant. I've had my ferrosi in some decent rain and have stayed dry.

I have the cirque. Real stretchy, medium/heavier weight, water/wind resistant comfortable pant. I would call a skinny jean fit, but have never owned a pair of skinny jeans lol. Short inseam, I cant wear them with out gaiters. Overall I like the pants, but far from perfect for me. Hope that helps

LandYacht

WKR
Could you compare the two? I cant find much, thats why l figured it was just different cut.

Also how do they shed water or take a dwr?

They both shed water well, but won’t make you forget your rain pants if you are going to be in an all day rain storm. I used them in Canada on a two week fly fishing trip and they dry fast, but they will soak through with enough rain. The Voodoo is more resistant than the Ferrosi, but the Ferrosi breathes better. The Voodoo defeats wind better though.

I wish the Voodoo had another inch on the inseam, I can wear them lower on my hips, but I’d rather them be longer and not have to look like a hipster doofus. I will pull off the hipster doofus look though in order to wear them. When I’m in the woods, I toss my gaiters on and Im good to go. I’m usually a 33” inseam. The waists are true to size with a medium perfect for my 32” waist.

The Ferrosi is a lighter material and more of a noticeable weave material. They have a buttoned top above the zipper fly. The cargo pocket has a vertical opening.

The Voodoo is more of a light soft shell material. They have a snap above the zipper fly. The cargo pocket opening is horizontal and I prefer it to the Ferrosi’s vertical opening.

They both have great belt loops, but I will notice that my nylon belts will twist if I try to pull my pants up and down without fully undoing the buckle.

The cut of the pants are similar, maybe a bit more room in the crotch of the Voodoo.

Overall they have replaced my jeans as my go to pants on my days off, which says a lot because I used to be jeans guy.

I just used the Voodoo in alaska for a week straight chasing caribou. Loved them. Fit great, doesn't stretch out as the week goes on, dries quick, and i found them to be quiet. replacing several pairs of pranas with them.

pewpew

FNG
I've been really impressed with my Ferrosi's. Great stretch and fit, very durable for how light they are. After multiple trips into the alpine, slipping and sitting in sharp rocks and busting brush in the bush, the only blemish is that the thread along the cuffs is starting to come undone.

weeble19

FNG
I have the cirque and the Ferossi pants. Love both of them. The Ferossi are a very light weight single layer stretch material that myself and several of my buddies have hunted in for years. The cirque is more of a true alpine climbing pant in terms of material and fit. Tighter in the legs to prevent crampon snagging and heavier material to shed wind and snow. If you’re doing 3rd season or later rifle the cirque would be a good pant. I wear my Ferossi pants all year. Throw a base layer underneath and I’m good down to 20 and just put some lightweight puffy pants on over during glassing. They dry quickly but during steady rain you’ll need some rain pants. Awesome stretch and fit. That being said they just revamped the fit this year and I haven’t tried the new ones but I’ve heard they’re more of a skinny jean fit now.

I’ll also add the Mushroom color is a great brown that blends well in many environments and goes with a lot of different camo tops.

Nate_Beres

Lil-Rokslider
How would ferrosi pants compare to prana Zion. I have a or jacket and love it. I just felt the pants ask was walking out of the retail store. They seem lighter than Zions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
I love the voodoos! The fit is much more relaxed than the ferosi. I would say they fit like a good fitted cargo pant. They are quiet especially when they get broken in. I like the fit much better than The prana Zion and the ferosi. It's been a little while, but if I remember correctly the ferosi fit like a skinny jean and The prana fit too loose for my liking. I can't get enough of these pants. I hunt in the Pacific Northwest rain and the shed water well. But even better when they do soak I can't even tell because they hold no water at all it seems. Then they dry instantly. They're excellent for rain gear because it doesn't feel like you're wearing two sets of pants because they're so light. And even in the winter I prefer wearing them with my peloton zip off base layers. I really should just buy like three more pairs. By with confidence.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

tracker12

WKR
I just used the Voodoo in alaska for a week straight chasing caribou. Loved them. Fit great, doesn't stretch out as the week goes on, dries quick, and i found them to be quiet. replacing several pairs of pranas with them.
Wow replacing Pranas. Thats tuff to do.

Nate_Beres

Lil-Rokslider
Ya that says a lot. For early season I felt like us be a little warm in the Zions. Is the ferrosi stretchy enough so that it's not constricting movement?
Im in the one as well and went through too many bad rain pants. With a baselayer and those vs rainpants wouldn't the baselayer stay wet all day (obviously depending on how we the conditions).
With the tall ferns/brush even morning dew can leave you soaked after 30 yds.
Replacing Zions for warm weather? I'm almost there. But adding a baselayer and replacing rain pants? I would need convincing.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
One thing I haven’t seen mentioned that I really don’t care for on the Voodoos is the pockets. The hip pockets are very small. Barely secure for a set of keys or anything else. Barely big enough to comfortably put a hand into. Only one thigh pocket. Not a big deal. Cargo pockets are a poor place to put lots of gear, but the option of putting a phone on one side and wallet in the other would be nice. The rear pocket on mine has a hole at the bottom. Looks like it was single stitched and not double stitched. Tore through the first day I wore them. Kind of disappointed in that. The biggest benefit to the Voodoos is the material. Great stretch and good balance of stretch, breath ability, and felt a little more substantial than the Ferrosis I compared in the store.

The Kuhl Renegades I tried on felt just as high quality in the materials, but better pocket placement and durability. Those will be my next pair for sure.

Vandy321

WKR
Just bought some Foray's for rain pants, light, packable, goretex and even have a little stretch. For the weight they seem durable.

Curious how the voodoo and the ferroci compare to the thickness/material of the kuiu attack pants? Love the attacks, dont love the price, looking to try ORs pant that is similar, any suggestions?

Nate_Beres

Lil-Rokslider
For everyone on this thread! If you're ever in the "emailing a suggestion" mood, shoot OR a note about camo options.
I connected a camo pattern mfcr (gulch) with them but nothing ever came if it.
They already make the clothes we love, just whip up a proprietary pattern or license one cheaper than realtree or multicam (or expand multicam options)
For places like OR, mountain hardware/prana, I guess Patagonia and north face (not big fans of the last two) I feel like getting a piece of performance hunting clothing market is low hanging fruit.

1000yrds

FNG
I just wear an old pair of olive drab military pants. Plenty of pockets and loose fitting for the warm weather. It doesn't get super cold here where I hunt so, a nice pair of long johns underneath work in colder weather.