outdoor vision or marsupial enclosed for maven b1

Foster_65

FNG
hey guys, first post and i apologize if it is in the wrong place. i recently purchased some maven B1 10x42s. i have to say i really like them and maven CS is incredible, but thats a different story. Now i am in the market for a quality harness. i have it narrowed down to these two.

the OV has pros and cons, as i like the rain fly and storage. it does not have the chest pouch which i think would be handy. i also feel like the side mesh pockets are very short and my windchecker is likely to fall out and get lost. it appears that one handed operation is fairly easy. i think i will go with the large size over the recommended medium in the event i want to leave my eye cups out or have the lens covers on. the sizing chart says that the medium will accommodate up to 6.25 in binos and the mavens are exactly 6,25 bare. i also hear that the top can inadvertently open if running or bend over to quick. i dont really like that. i also feel like the harness looks very comfortable. im a pretty broad guy at 6'2 275lbs.

the marsupial have very few negative reviews in general. there isn't a ton of info or reviews yet for the enclosed version and is somewhat difficult to find. i think i would go with the small version of this. the side pockets are taller and look like the things i put in there wont get lost. it doesn't have a rain cover or associated extra pocket. it does have the chest pocket though. i haven't read that the marsupial opens inadvertently. my biggest hang up and a fairly small one, is the new wings on the side to make it fully enclosed look like it might make it more of a PIA to grab your binos out as you would need to grab them from the top instead of more from the side. i do like that is folds flat when open, but not a deal breaker with the OV since i dont think it would interfere with drawing a bow either way.

so i guess im looking for opinions from folks that have mavens and run one of these harnesses or have run either or both of these harnesses in general with your likes or dislikes. if anyone can offer their likes or complaints with either, that would be great. i have read most of what is out there, but i hadnt seen much on the enclosed marsupial yet.

i appreciate any info. thanks

Drenalin

WKR
I don't have the Mavens, but do have an OV harness. Their size guide lists a medium for those binos, and in general I've found the guides these harness manufacturers put out to be accurate. I used the size guide and it's a great fit for the binos I've had in mine. No issues for me with it coming open on it's own, but if you were to upsize I could see that happening. I keep the lens covers off when my binos are in the harness - part of why I like an enclosed harness is that my glass can be protected but it's a little quicker/simpler to get up and on target without fumbling with the covers.

I keep a windchecker in one mesh pocket and a Benchmade Bugout in the other. The windchecker feels secure and hasn't fallen out, but the knife feels much less secure (still hasn't fallen out though).

As for the harness itself, I really like mine. It's a relatively quiet material, the harness itself is comfortable (even with a pack on), and I like the simplicity and low profile. I like that it doesn't have another pouch on front for a rangefinder because it keeps things low profile, but I also prefer to have my RF in a right side hipbelt pouch that I keep partially unzipped. Different strokes.

I really like the OV harness and am planning on sticking with it for a while, but I haven't heard a bad thing about the Marsupial. I'd say if you've done some research and are more comfortable with one than the other at this point, trust your gut. I don't think either would be a bad choice.

OP
F

Foster_65

FNG
thanks for the reply. for reference, what size harness do you have and what binocular?

68Plexi

WKR
I had the OV harness and loved it UNTIL I got the Maven b.1’s. I had the medium size harness and it fit the B.1’s, but the Mavens are a heavy bino at 29 oz for the 8x42’s. Last week I was hiking off trail with a decent climb. I tripped a couple of times, and jumping forward caused the harness magnets to lose connection and open. It only opens a few inches and the binos aren’t going to fall out, but it was annoying to say the least.

I don’t think it’s an issue with lighter binos. And I don’t think I’d want it to be any harder to open by adding another magnet. You can open and close with one hand, but if your eye cups are extended the medium size will barely fit over them. Width is fine.

I really wanted to like it. It’s comfortable, has really nice usable pockets (wind checker fits fine on the mesh sides), rain fly, quiet material, fully enclosed, one hand operation.

Unfortunately, I just couldn’t get past it opening when I lunged forward. Like I said, it’s probably not an issue with most lightweight binos, but not the b.1’s. And I love those b.1’s so they are the keeper of the two.

I have a small enclosed Marsupial on order to replace the OV and I’ll let you know what I think after I get it, but that will be the weekend at the earliest. Before the OV I used an original KUIU harness with a smaller pair of Leupolds before I got the Mavens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firehawk

WKR
My buddy runs the Marsupial with his Maven B2 11x (not sure which size)and absolutely loves it. He moved to that from the AGC and feels like he made the right choice. He typically has his wind checker and bugout in his as well. I think he uses the RF pouch to the side of the bino housing, but I don't recall for certain. I have no experience with the OV.

68Plexi

WKR
By the way, I also have the OV rangefinder case and it is awesome. I will be keeping it for sure. Easy in and out, magnets can keep it open and it’s quiet.

OP
F

Foster_65

FNG
I had the OV harness and loved it UNTIL I got the Maven b.1’s. I had the medium size harness and it fit the B.1’s, but the Mavens are a heavy bino at 29 oz for the 8x42’s. Last week I was hiking off trail with a decent climb. I tripped a couple of times, and jumping forward caused the harness magnets to lose connection and open. It only opens a few inches and the binos aren’t going to fall out, but it was annoying to say the least.

I don’t think it’s an issue with lighter binos. And I don’t think I’d want it to be any harder to open by adding another magnet. You can open and close with one hand, but if your eye cups are extended the medium size will barely fit over them. Width is fine.

I really wanted to like it. It’s comfortable, has really nice usable pockets (wind checker fits fine on the mesh sides), rain fly, quiet material, fully enclosed, one hand operation.

Unfortunately, I just couldn’t get past it opening when I lunged forward. Like I said, it’s probably not an issue with most lightweight binos, but not the b.1’s. And I love those b.1’s so they are the keeper of the two.

I have a small enclosed Marsupial on order to replace the OV and I’ll let you know what I think after I get it, but that will be the weekend at the earliest. Before the OV I used an original KUIU harness with a smaller pair of Leupolds before I got the Mavens.

this is very good information. thank you for sharing. i will run the b1s with the eye cups open in the first or second position. which will add about a 1/2 so that was my reasoning for going with the Large over the medium. do you still think the Large will still have the same issue with opening as the medium would?? please let me know how you like the marsupial and let me know the pros or cons that you see with it while running the B1s.
thanks

Last edited:

68Plexi

WKR
this is very good information. thank you for sharing. i will run the b1s with the eye cups open in the first or second position. which will add about a 1/2 so that was my reasoning for going with the Large over the medium. do you still think the Large will still have the same issue with opening as the medium would?? please let me know how you like the marsupial and let me know the pros or cons that you see with it while running the B1s.
thanks

I was tempted to order the large OV to replace the med like you suggested (it is a nice harness IMO) because the width is the same, it’s just 1” taller. That may very well help with the opening problem as the bino pressure would be lower on the lid.

Actually, if you’re going to get the OV the large is what I’d suggest. I use the Mavens eye ups in the second position and the med fit was tight enough that it would sometimes move one eye cup down when I closed the lid.

I’ll post my thoughts on the marsupial/b.1 combo probably after the weekend. There is a lot of good info about the marsupial from guys on this forum which you’ve probably already searched. I also found a good comparison on YouTube with the OV, marsupial, AGC here

He had the same problem I did with the OV.

OP
F

Foster_65

FNG
I was tempted to order the large OV to replace the med like you suggested (it is a nice harness IMO) because the width is the same, it’s just 1” taller. That may very well help with the opening problem as the bino pressure would be lower on the lid.

Actually, if you’re going to get the OV the large is what I’d suggest. I use the Mavens eye ups in the second position and the med fit was tight enough that it would sometimes move one eye cup down when I closed the lid.

I’ll post my thoughts on the marsupial/b.1 combo probably after the weekend. There is a lot of good info about the marsupial from guys on this forum which you’ve probably already searched. I also found a good comparison on YouTube with the OV, marsupial, AGC here

He had the same problem I did with the OV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapata
that is a good video and comparison, watched it alot. he is using the sig kilo bdx 3000 which look to be about 31 ounces, pretty much the same as the mavens maybe a touch heavier. i will wait and see what you think on the marsupial before i pull the trigger. thanks for the feedback

GPATTI

WKR
the OV ...........does not have the chest pouch which i think would be handy.
The OV DOES have the chest pouch....It is not shown on the website, but the current version does have it.
As for windchecker falling out, the side pockets have good elastic. This should not be a concern.

68Plexi

WKR
that is a good video and comparison, watched it alot. he is using the sig kilo bdx 3000 which look to be about 31 ounces, pretty much the same as the mavens maybe a touch heavier. i will wait and see what you think on the marsupial before i pull the trigger. thanks for the feedback

Well, I got the marsupial yesterday and I’ve had some time to play with it. It’s only been a day but this my initial take.

Small fits my Maven b.1’s perfectly. I can twist the eye ups out to the third position and still close the lid fine. It also will not open when I lunge forward like the OV did. So far, I really like the fit, feel, and easy one handed use. Very comfortable too. Looks like the same or very, very similar material as the OV. Same color as well.

It’s not perfect, I don’t think any of them are. The side pouches are really tight. The right one on mine is actually even tighter than the left and it takes two hands to get a wind checker back in after taking it out. It’s so tight that when the wind checker is in the pocket it actually moves the side of the case in enough that there is a small gap where the lid should be sealed. May let dust in. Hopefully that loosens up over time.

This isn’t a big deal for me, but the front pocket has a stretchy material which is nice and would tempt me to put more stuff in it than I should and anything pushing that pocket out makes it harder for the lid to reach the magnets on the bottom to keep the lid open. The lid will stay open without the magnets, and I won’t put anything in that pocket that sticks out too much so I’m not really concerned about it.

The only other knock, and it really is minor, is the webbing straps that go around your sides get twisted pretty easily, but I think that’s the case with every other harness I’ve tried.

Pros of the OV over the marsupial IMO:

Pockets on the sides are easier to get wind checker out of and still snug enough not to lose it.
Bottom pocket is really nice and big enough for a knife, lip balm, lighter, etc. if you take the rain cover out.
Comes with a rain cover.
Less expensive
Lid will magnet open no matter how much stuff you have in the front pocket.

Pros of the marsupial over the OV:

Doesn’t open when you lunge forward
Actually a lower profile on the chest because the lid is not square but sloped
Closes easily with one hand without moving bino eye cups down
Tethers are weaved onto the binos instead of metal rings on the OV
Fit is comfortable high on the chest - just my personal preference

I’m not looking for another harness. The marsupial is the best all around fit and features for my preferences, YMMV.

Fun comparing the two. Hope it helps your decision. They are both great harnesses. Both are made in the USA and are high quality craftsmanship.