Outdoor Vision Ridgetop VS the Adak Bino Harness - Head to Head Review

BrentH

WKR
These two harnesses peaked my interest while searching for a fully enclosed binocular harness. I now have both harnesses in hand and have started comparing. I’ll start off by saying both are very good and the comparison from me will be fairly objective. What I prefer in a harness may be something that you dislike. From what I’ve experienced thus far I would use either of the harnesses for any hunting adventure.

Is there anything in particular you’d like to see covered?

https://outdoorvisiongear.com

https://www.blackovis.com/adak-coyote-bino-system

***Edit 12/2/19***
Jordan's complete review is published here. Outdoor Vision Ridgetop Harness VS Adak Harness
What size OV were you testing, and did you try it with your EL’s? Thanks.

BrentH

WKR
The Medium size. The EL ranges fit perfectly. I wouldn't size up or down, they're like perfect.
I just received a Large today for my 10x42 el (non-range). I ordered the Large based on their sizing chart. I can open it one handed, but I can’t close it one handed because the lid catches on the eye cups. I have to hold the harness with my other hand so I can essentially stretch the lid high enough to clear the eye cups. I listened to your podcast about them, so wasn’t sure what I was experiencing is normal. Otherwise, the fit is very good.

JJB

FNG
I have the Adak bino harness and am very happy with it. The only thing I'd like to see is some sort of quick connect for the rangefinder lanyard. Pretty easy to modify yourself though

I purchased the adak recently and really like it - my only concern is that the lid on the rangefinder pouch does not close up like the bino pouch - I love the operation on the bino pouch though!

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Little update for everyone on this review. While I did prefer the OR over the Adak for extra storage and not having to have accessory pouches on either side, I've been using the Adak a lot more lately. When I switched binoculars the OR magnet has a terrible time staying closed and I just couldn't stand it. The Adak paired with the accessory pouch has been a really good combination.

Hopefully they release more pouches soon to give some modularity to it. I just saw that Marsupial is coming out with a full containment harness so that should be an excellent rival for these two harnesses!

TripleJ

WKR
Little update for everyone on this review. While I did prefer the OR over the Adak for extra storage and not having to have accessory pouches on either side, I've been using the Adak a lot more lately. When I switched binoculars the OR magnet has a terrible time staying closed and I just couldn't stand it. The Adak paired with the accessory pouch has been a really good combination.

Hopefully they release more pouches soon to give some modularity to it. I just saw that Marsupial is coming out with a full containment harness so that should be an excellent rival for these two harnesses!

Other then the lack of storage, I love my ADAK system. If ADAK would simply sell the rangefinder pouches separate, that would be adequate for me at this time. I could put it on the other side opposite my rangefinder and have a nice little pocket for extra items. It's not the perfect option, but to me it would be better then it is now.

I've been looking pretty hard at the outdoor vision harness for my 15x50 vipers.

Jordan, could you explain this sentence a bit? "When I switched binoculars the OR magnet has a terrible time staying closed and I just couldn't stand it."

I might just be dense but I don't want to buy it if it doesn't stay closed.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been looking pretty hard at the outdoor vision harness for my 15x50 vipers.

Jordan, could you explain this sentence a bit? "When I switched binoculars the OR magnet has a terrible time staying closed and I just couldn't stand it."

I might just be dense but I don't want to buy it if it doesn't stay closed.

Idk if it’s the way the binoculars are shaped or what, but when I put my 12x binoculars in the medium harness the magnets aren’t strong enough. The 10x I did the review with didn’t have the issue near like the 12’s. The two binoculars don’t seem to be different in weight that I could tell holding them, but they are shaped slightly different and the 12’s are taller. The only way I can explain it is the magnets aren’t strong enough. I haven’t tried a large to know if that was the issue or not... like as the harnesses get bigger does the magnet get stronger? I don’t know the answer to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tahoe1305

WKR
So if it helps at all I actually got a used large OV today for my 12x50 meostars. I wasn’t sure when I snagged it if they would fit but I am pleasantly surprised. They are a tad snug with the Eyecups extended where I use them and can’t fit with the objective covers (don’t normally run with them anyway) but still one hand operation out and with some practice will be one hand in as well.

I was worried about the magnets too based on other threads but I messed with them crawling around and such today and couldn’t get them to pop open. My meostars are 37ounces too.

Not sure about the magnets being the same but at least at this point I’m not having issues. I did read where someone replaced the magnets with some stronger and it fixed the issue for him but obviously that is less than ideal.

I wanted the kuiu pro to go with my hydration pack but when I tried large with the meostars it was too snug. The OV is very streamlined and actually fits almost perfect with the kuiu hydration pack too (will add two straps on the shoulders for the hydration bag clips).

Hope that helps someone.