Outdoor Vitals Atlas sleeping bag review

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
I put the Outdoor Vitals zero degree Atlas bag through the paces on a 9 day hunt in Colorado in late september. temps at night were consistently around 20*. i mostly just slept in my nylon hunting pants and my FL Kiln Hoodie. i did wear my puffy to bed a couple nights when it was colder but had to shed it during the night because i was sweating. i don't think i ever had it fully zipped. i don't consider my self a hot or cold sleeper- probably about average. with a beanie and single base layers i feel like i could take this bag down to 10-15 degrees very comfortably. add a puffy and it's easily a single digits bag. i slept in a hammock (against many recommendations), in a 2-man tent, and on the ground under a tarp. all situations included a sleeping pad of course.

i slept in a tent a couple nights with my buddy and we forgot to vent the fly the first night and woke up soaked. the bag didn't seem to care. it dried fast and was good to go the following night. i also went to bed with sweaty cold socks a few times- well probably every night- and woke up with every dried out and warm.

for a zero degree synthetic bag, it compresses down very small and is pretty light weight (3 lbs 6 oz). i could get it, my hammock and sleeping pad into a 20L dry sack no problem.

for room- i am 5' 10" and it seemed just right for length. if i was 6' or more i would need the long bag. shoulder room and leg/feet room seemed good. i could sleep with my boots or other gear if i had to dry them out. i wouldn't say the bag is sloppy big by any means though. has a great double zipper too.

all in all, it might be the best value purchase i made for this year's hunt. at $169 it was a great performer. i have never slept in a Western Mountaineering or Kifaru bag but this bag did everything i was hoping it would do. i will likely pick up the 15 or 30 degree version of this bag for next year to save a few ounces since i know the bag is very close to it's temp rating.

KurtR

WKR
This is my 3rd year with their 0 degree down bag and really like it might have to pick up this one the kid is needing one of his own

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
i was actually really surprised how small this bag compresses down to with the compression bag it comes in. i forgot to add you can pick up blems and refurbs on their website and get some slamming deals. they come with full warranty too.

crs_100

FNG
I’m glad someone has positive things to say about this company. I had nothing but terrible experiences. I just got the 15 degree from outdoor vitals and it was way under filled. The down was clumpy and scarce. I emailed customer service and they said to put it in the dryer to fluff it up. 8 hours and there’s still huge voids with no insulation. What’s so concerning was that they never said it was defective. You can see the pics below showing how little down is in the bag. I ultimately got a refund, but not until after threatening to dispute with my credit card company. Perhaps I just got a bad product, but their customer service is so poor, I’d avoid this company at all costs.
a4adcfdea8159365d809ce9ffd6e2b7f.jpg

Here’s original, when I pulled the bad out for the first time. No issue according to customer service mind you. How can it keep you warm with no down?
80013f6d9bb37e72ba06131c183c08b8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’m glad someone has positive things to say about this company. I had nothing but terrible experiences. I just got the 15 degree from outdoor vitals and it was way under filled. The down was clumpy and scarce. I emailed customer service and they said to put it in the dryer to fluff it up. 8 hours and there’s still huge voids with no insulation. What’s so concerning was that they never said it was defective. You can see the pics below showing how little down is in the bag. I ultimately got a refund, but not until after threatening to dispute with my credit card company. Perhaps I just got a bad product, but their customer service is so poor, I’d avoid this company at all costs.

Here’s original, when I pulled the bad out for the first time. No issue according to customer service mind you. How can it keep you warm with no down?

Did they have you put it in the dryer with a tennis ball to break up the down clumps?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

crs_100

FNG
Did they have you put it in the dryer with a tennis ball to break up the down clumps?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes. The top pic is after 8 combined hours in a no heat dryer with tennis balls. I stopped between cycles and pulled apart down clumps and gently massaged down into voids and then put it back in the dryer. After the 8th hour, I gave up and returned the bag.

Clrems77

WKR
Thanks for the reviews guys. Being someone looking for a new set of bags for the wife and I, these helped as I was considering the 0 degree hybrid. I’ll have to continue my research. Hoping the bad experience was a fluke!

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider

CRS_100, I'm really sorry to hear about your experience. I work at Outdoor Vitals, and I read through this thread a couple nights ago but didn't want to comment without approval from Robby. After communicating with Robby, he graciously allowed me to comment, since I'm just another member here on Rokslide but would like to apologize on behalf of Outdoor Vitals.

Reading about your experience was definitely concerning. We are constantly trying to improve, but that doesn't mean that mistakes or shortcomings never happen, and unfortunately you were on the receiving end of that. We were able to track down your returned Topquilt and weigh it. It came in about 2 ounces short of what it should have, meaning it didn't get correctly filled. No excuse for this, and although that might not be the whole problem, it would definitely make a big difference. We've never seen one of our topquilts or bags do that before, and we couldn't replicate your issue with anything in our inventory. It doesn't make things any better for you, but it's really good for us to know about issues like this, and we certainly take negative experiences seriously so we can learn form them and improve. Again, I sincerely apologize for your experience.

Last edited:

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
For anyone else on this thread, Robby asked that I keep my comments specific to CRS_100 and the issue at hand. CRS_100's experience is with a Topquilt, and the OP is talking about one of our sleeping bags with synthetic/down hybrid insulation. Thanks Robby!

OP
Luziana Feller

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
i'm not trying to discredit your experience @crs_100 but i probably have 40+ nights in my hybrid insulated bag. a few those nights had moisture and i have not experienced the clumping of the insulation. definitely not under filled either. before buying the bag i messaged Tayson several times about which bag he thought would fit my needs best. he was very responsive and helpful (obviously one might be more inclined to respond to a potential sale than a potential return). i hate you got a bum bag and shoddy service...

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the feedback. We've already implemented new protocols to help with this sort of thing. Take care.

bigburr

FNG
I have approx 30 nights in their 15 degree Atlas down bag. And over 50 nights in their ultralight 30 degree down quilt. Absolutely zero complaints. Kept me warm well below the temps advertised. After using their quilt, I'll never go back to a regular bag for backpacking. Best value in bags on the market. Period.