Outdoor Vitals MummyPod Sleep System Review, By Matt Cashell

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
This will get me to try hammocking. I have an ul suspension and hammock but can’t justify the quilts when 90% of the time I’m on the ground. I see no risk as it looks like a great bag which I need anyway.

How well does it compress compared to a normal bag of similar specs?

Wouldn’t mind seeing more OV products reviewed. They have a couple puffy jackets...just saying.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
How well does it compress compared to a normal bag of similar specs?

It is similar to down bags of the same rating. It does come with a useable compression sack too, which is a nice touch.

Wouldn’t mind seeing more OV products reviewed. They have a couple puffy jackets...just saying.

Me too. I am interested in the new down puffy especially. The MummyPod, for its foibles, really shows Outdoor Vitals is really looking outside the box for new and useful products for the backcountry.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve followed the brand for awhile and they are quick to update an innovate. Not a brand focused on hunting but I can see them getting some market share with their price points. General purpose, value, unique features, supporting small business they’ll be getting some money from me.

bobinmi

WKR
I'd like to see the mummy pod offered with a synthetic fill. Cool concept. I bet you could solve the top insulation issue by bringing poncho liner or woobie into the bag with you.

sneaky

"DADDY"
All the ones I looked at are out of stock.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve followed the brand for awhile and they are quick to update an innovate. Not a brand focused on hunting but I can see them getting some market share with their price points. General purpose, value, unique features, supporting small business they’ll be getting some money from me.

The owner is a big time hunter. Had a great bull in our photo contest this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishspook

FNG
Thanks for the review. My only hammock experience was with a regular sleeping bag in the hammock: I froze. I may need to try again with something like this mummypod system.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the review. My only hammock experience was with a regular sleeping bag in the hammock: I froze. I may need to try again with something like this mummypod system.

Like I said in the review, the mummypod is a nice sleeping bag that works ok as occasional hammock insulation, but I prefer an over quilt/under quilt system for dedicated hammock use.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up the synthetic/down hybrid version of this bag only used it on 1 trip so far 1 night in the hammock and 1 night on a pad. So far the bag is awesome struggled for a minute to get the the foot box sealed up on the hammock but once I got it I was toasty all night. My favorite thing about it is the fact it’s 9.9 pounds lighter than the bag I packed all over the backcountry last year!