Outdoorsman adapter and what tripod on a budget? 10x42 effectiveness?

So I am going to get the outdoorsman adapter for my 10x42s but what tripod or other stabilization device for glassing do you all recommend on a budget, looking for the best bang for the buck? All of the outdoorsman tripods seem pretty well out of my price range for a tripod.

Also... with these setups do you all feel like with the 10x42 it is useful and worth it? Or should it be more reserved for higher magnification binos?

Napperm4

WKR
Agreed. I even crafted up a stud on my 10x30 swaro CL’s cause they aren’t threaded. I have a pair of 15x56 and 10x42 binos also.

Most often I’m using the 10x42 on a tripod or window mount. It’s a true game changer for serious glassing.

Like a lot of others I also carry a spotter with me so when I’m looking at tripod set ups I have more to think about than just binos.

For just binos the options are pretty endless, consider if you’re glassing sitting, option to stand and carbon vs aluminum.

Out of the affordable options find one that best suits your budget and decide what you want to compromise on. Ie quality, material, weight etc.

I prefer carbon over aluminum with the exception of a vortex SS tripod. Super light, compact and steady enough for sitting with Binos.

Same idea for a head. With just bino use I prefer a ball head with independent pan over a large pan head. More compact and lighter, doesn’t need to support a 95mm spotter with extender and digiscope set up.

Best bet is to call up one of the site sponsors, let them know what you’re looking to achieve and they’ll take good care of you. Cameraland is great at this stuff.

nastynick

FNG
I ran 10x42s off a tripod this past year and it worked great. I actually struggle to handhold my 10s steady so the tripod was the way to go.

I just picked up a used Vortex High Country tripod and it worked fine. I think if you’ve never used a tripod before you don’t know the difference between a nice/expensive one and a less expensive one.

aaoptics sometimes sells the refurbished vortex tripods for a lot cheaper. Might be a place to check out.

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
Vanguard Alta pro or whatever with the flip locks, reasonably priced and wasn’t a fan of vortex tripods, and I believe vanguard has same unconditional warranty on a lot of their products, double check certain models , but I’ve been happy with mine , but the head is where you want to spend some money, also check out field optics for bino mount, same as outdoors almost

Recommend the slik cf-633 for outside the pack or slik cf-634 for inside the pack. Both allow you to stand and glass, but about 2lbs. Over the years, I have had all of the vortex twist lock tripods and consider the slik's a noteworthy upgrade. The only one that I kept was the SS because its very quick to deploy, although it like the others has broken a few times.

Happy to help out. There are great, affordable options by Promaster, Slik and Sirui. Plus, through Saturday they are all on sale so we do even better for you then normal!!

Give me a call at 516-217-1000

Joel

OP
T
Thanks everyone, plan to reach out to camera land, but does anyone use a monopod vs a tripod for the 10x42? Seems like there would be a weight advantage and would still do the job of stabilizing? Any cons?

CCH

WKR
A monopod is just not going to provide anywhere close to the stability of a tripod and it doesn't really keep on track when gridding the countryside. Finally, it will be useless if you want to use a spotter in addition to your binos. If you're going to lug the weight, I'd take something that really benefits you.

Austink47

WKR
Get a tripod, it is truly a game changer. The the vortex summit ss (ball head not pan head) is a very reasonable compact affordable option if you plan on glassing from a sitting position.

Schism

WKR
I just received my Slik 634 and Gitzo 2-way fluid head from Cameraland. My initial impression on this setup is very positive. The Gitzo may be more than you are wanting to spend but they have other options such as Sirui that are well reviewed by those that use them.

It’s definitely worth a call to discuss your needs and any discounts they may be able to offer over the phone that they can’t online!

JohnB

WKR
Get a tripod, it is truly a game changer. The the vortex summit ss (ball head not pan head) is a very reasonable compact affordable option if you plan on glassing from a sitting position.
I'm in a similar boat to the OP, why do you recommend the ball head as opposed to the pan head?

Austink47

WKR
I'm in a similar boat to the OP, why do you recommend the ball head as opposed to the pan head?
I had both for a season. I found the pan head very annoying the. The line between smooth movement and falling over was very fine. It had a propensity to fall back and hit me in the bridge of the nose, I only take that so many times. I find the ball head to be very compact, reliable, and steady ( for the price) based on my experience I don’t recommend the pan head, would not argue with someone that does, just did not work for me at all.

Affordable might be a subjective term, but I’ve been using a Sirui 1205x Tripod with a Sirui VA-5 head. It’s been everything I’ve ever wanted, light, stable, easy to use, and tough. I believe I got the whole setup for under 300$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been very happy with my Promaster 525cf and promaster pan head. It comes on pretty much every trip regardless of what optics I bring. Lightweight, super stable and very adjustable for uneven terrain. My 9s and 15s have outdoorsmans studs on them and I use an arca plate for my spotter.947A04EC-C227-49CB-8FD8-6C1BD072879A.jpeg

We have 2 great options
The one shown by CApighunter and the Sirui T024SK with VA5 head. Both are excellent set ups. Both are on special thru tomorrow 1/4/20
Give me a call to discuss

Joel
516.217-1000

OP
T
What do you all recommend for height? Do you find that standing and glassing is something that you do frequently or not so much? I am 6’1, and I’m leaning towards 12x50 binos as my primary setup, may eventually have a spotter but not for now

JohnnyB

WKR
What do you all recommend for height? Do you find that standing and glassing is something that you do frequently or not so much? I am 6’1, and I’m leaning towards 12x50 binos as my primary setup, may eventually have a spotter but not for now

Generally don’t stand and glass but there are times I have. You will have to decide if the weight savings is more important than the ability to stand.

I stand and glass 50% of the time with 12’s and am 6’.

My favorite value tripods are the SLIK 633 CF and 634 - the 633 requires less adjustment but doesn’t collapse as small as the 634 so you’ll have to store in it a main compartment or outside the bag.

They are both ultralight and stable enough for 12’s or 15’s.

If I could only have one it would be the 633 as less adjustment for the same height just saves time.