Outdoorsman Bino Mount Alternative.

come2elmo

WKR
Does anyone make a bino mount similar to the outdoorsman one? I love the concept but 70 bucks seems a bit spendy for me.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Does anyone make a bino mount similar to the outdoorsman one? I love the concept but 70 bucks seems a bit spendy for me.
One that fits as tight and can be locked down like Outdoorsmans? No one really. The Field Optics is cheap and light, but the one I had was sloppy compared to the Outdoorsman one I have. The Vortex one is annoying and not a quick hook up really. You can definitely save money, but it comes with trade offs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rodéo

WKR
I run the field optics research and it's lightyears ahead of the vortex adapter but still doesn't come close to outdoorsmans imo. It's a good compromise for less than half the price though.

I had the same issue so I made my own lol. Been thinking of making them to sell but haven't gotten the tolerances how I like yet. Pm me and I'll send you one to try out if you want. Here's a pic of it
c58a38efc70643e2ef2074e5b91277e9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Once you pay $70 and use it you will wish you got one years ago.
If you don't like it you will sell it quickly for a couple bucks less on here.
Get the tall one.easier to use with bigger glass and everyone wants more height in their tripod set up.

colersu22

WKR
I use the field optics research one and have no complaints and it is 1/3 the price of the outdoorsman set up by the time you get the adapter and the stud plus shipping your at $100 and I paid like $25 for the field optics research one on amazon.

Having had two Field Optics Research and then the Outdoorsmans just please buy the Outdoorsmans, you won’t regret it.

The Kramer Designs might be a suitable alternative but I think it’s in the same price range.

twall13

WKR
Good advice so far. I purchased the field optics research and outdoorsman to compare side by side figuring I'd sell or return the one I didn't like. I ended up keeping the outdoorsman because the fit and finish was better, it was a more solid construction, and, most importantly to me, it was easier to use with cold hands.

All that said, I haven't found anything even close to as good as the field optics research mount in that same price range. The outdoorsman's and Kramer Design mounts are better, but if you aren't willing to fork out the $$ for those then the only option I'd consider is the field optics research.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Car7x

WKR
I had the same issue so I made my own lol. Been thinking of making them to sell but haven't gotten the tolerances how I like yet. Pm me and I'll send you one to try out if you want. Here's a pic of it
c58a38efc70643e2ef2074e5b91277e9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I like that - sell me a demo?

Craig

Vaultman

WKR
Everything from Outdoorsman is very expensive, but worth every penny I'd say. Their stuff just flat out works very well.
I bit the bullet on tripod, head, bino-mount, and some other camera attachments. It was costly, but I sure used it a lot. I saw animals I guarantee I would not have seen without. It was worth it... Just don't ask the wife if it was worth it to her.

bobhunts

WKR
Good advice so far. I purchased the field optics research and outdoorsman to compare side by side figuring I'd sell or return the one I didn't like. I ended up keeping the outdoorsman because the fit and finish was better, it was a more solid construction, and, most importantly to me, it was easier to use with cold hands.

All that said, I haven't found anything even close to as good as the field optics research mount in that same price range. The outdoorsman's and Kramer Design mounts are better, but if you aren't willing to fork out the $$ for those then the only option I'd consider is the field optics research.

So I am thinking of sending in my Sawro EL's to get the stud installed and buy the tripod adaptor. Do you think this is the best to be had?

twall13

WKR
So I am thinking of sending in my Sawro EL's to get the stud installed and buy the tripod adaptor. Do you think this is the best to be had?
I have a hard time using the words "best to be had" simply because I know I haven't used everything out there. It's by far the best I've used comparing a vortex bino mount, field optics research and the outdoorsman. The only other mount I've seen that could be comparable would be the one from Kramer Designs. I haven't used it so I don't know exactly how it compares to the outdoorsman. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the outdoorsman and it may well be the best out there I just don't feel qualified to make that claim.

I should also point out that I don't have Swaro EL's and didn't have to send my Binos in to have the stud installed. I've read on other threads on Rokslide where some guys had a hard time getting comfortable with what having the stud installed did to the Swaro warranty on the EL's so do your research.

bobhunts

WKR
I have a hard time using the words "best to be had" simply because I know I haven't used everything out there. It's by far the best I've used comparing a vortex bino mount, field optics research and the outdoorsman. The only other mount I've seen that could be comparable would be the one from Kramer Designs. I haven't used it so I don't know exactly how it compares to the outdoorsman. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the outdoorsman and it may well be the best out there I just don't feel qualified to make that claim.

I should also point out that I don't have Swaro EL's and didn't have to send my Binos in to have the stud installed. I've read on other threads on Rokslide where some guys had a hard time getting comfortable with what having the stud installed did to the Swaro warranty on the EL's so do your research.

Thanks for the reply! I have read that it is kinda nill regarding the Swaro warranty but I will research it more before I send my binos in. Might be worth a call to a Swaro rep to see if it will not void the warranty!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thanks for the reply! I have read that it is kinda nill regarding the Swaro warranty but I will research it more before I send my binos in. Might be worth a call to a Swaro rep to see if it will not void the warranty!
Outdoorsman install does not affect your Swaro warranty. I think they are the only place you can get the stud installed that is Swarovski approved to do the mod without messing with your warranty. There have been a few threads on here discussing it, and the Outdoorsman guys are on here as well.

twall13

WKR
I hear all the time that Outdoorsman's claims their install doesn't void the warranty on the EL's, but I haven't heard anyone confirm it from Swaro. It very well could be covered, but if I was sending some EL's in to have the stud installed I'd want to hear it from Swarovski beforehand, not just from Outdoorsman. That's the point I was trying to make. I have zero doubt in my mind the job the Outdoorsman does with the stud install is top notch as everything I've used from them has been quality materials and machining.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I hear all the time that Outdoorsman's claims their install doesn't void the warranty on the EL's, but I haven't heard anyone confirm it from Swaro. It very well could be covered, but if I was sending some EL's in to have the stud installed I'd want to hear it from Swarovski beforehand, not just from Outdoorsman. That's the point I was trying to make. I have zero doubt in my mind the job the Outdoorsman does with the stud install is top notch as everything I've used from them has been quality materials and machining.
There have been several guys on here who have called Swarovski directly and asked them. You can probably search and find the thread where it is discussed. I bought SLCs so it's irrelevant to me. Just passing on what others have already asked