Outdoorsman micro pan head vs reg panhead

Sako79

Lil-Rokslider
I'm just curious on what your thoughts between the 2. I have no spotter so I will be using it for just my NL binos. Can't decide what to get

If you are never going to buy or use a spotter, then get the Micro. If it is likely that you will use a spotter at any point in the future, take the 3 ounce penalty and get the regular Pan.

I use the Jim White and love it. Use it for my SLC 10s, SLC 15s, STX 65, and STX 95. When my Kowa 554 arrives, it too will be going on the Jim White.

Agree on the pistol + panner.....if I am only running binos that is what I go with 100% of the time without a single 2nd thought.

I also have the micro to run my 65mm spotter on. I have had the pan head too and sold it off with my swarm 95mm objective and stuck with the 65mm and micro pan head.

Bino's only, go pistol grip, you'll love it.

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
If you're worried about weight, I'd take the RRS BPC-16 head over either. I prefer the movement/control over both Outdoorsman too, and I've owned all 3, plus the Jim White 2.0. Easy to bolt an adapter plate to the base of the Outdoorsman Bino Adapter.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Man I've had the micro the regular and the Jim white. I think they're all over rated and over priced. For just binos I'd definitely go with the micro of the group.

TFrank

WKR
Strictly personal preference but I did not care for the micro for any application. It was just too loosely goosey for me and didn’t want to make the effort to get used to it. I took the ounce penalty for the regular pan head. Would like to try the pistol.

Drenalin

WKR
I know it’s not what you asked about, but I’d second the recommendation on that little RRS head. I got mine couple months ago after a lot of research. Love it with binos so far and I think it’ll work ok for a small spotter.

mcseal2

WKR
I had both and returned the micro. The pan head was just much more user friendly for me. I'd been using it for a few years at that point though. I use the pan head for my spotter, binos, and the Outdoorsmans rifle rest.

The rest is expensive, but I've taken a lot of game from 300 to 400 yards from kneeling, sitting, or standing when I couldn't go lower. The 2 points of contact with the rifle are much more stable than a single Y yoke.

Hope this helps.

OP
S

Sako79

Lil-Rokslider
Man I've had the micro the regular and the Jim white. I think they're all over rated and over priced. For just binos I'd definitely go with the micro of the group.
Yes it'll be over $600 Canadian by the time I bring them here to my house that's a little more than I want to spend what would you recommend

Yes it'll be over $600 Canadian by the time I bring them here to my house that's a little more than I want to spend what would you recommend
You have any local sporting goods or camera stores? Can try to swing by them and take a look at their heads and play around with them.

There's a lot of personal preference when it comes to heads. What one person loves another does not.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I'm currently using a sirui va5 and think it's very good especially considering the price. My primary use is digiscoping though and that head is very overkill for just using it with binoculars. I don't honestly think you need a high end head for use with binos. I'd get whatever you can find locally for a fair price that has independent pan and tilt. The "Smoothness' is much less relevant at binocular levels of magnification.

OP
S

Sako79

Lil-Rokslider
I recently bought the sirui ts024sk tripod and it came with their ball head which is pretty light weight but I thought there might be a better option maybe I should just try to get it out and use that and see if I'll just stick with it

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
If just binos, I would also get the pistol grip and panner. That’s what i got. Getting it to Canada wasn’t cheap with the dollar. I also put my Nikon ed50 spotter on it.