Outdoorsman or Slik?

HuntNTag

WKR
I’m looking to get a really solid tripod. Use it to pack in and or from the truck. Would like the tripod to be around that 3lb mark.

I run a pan head and I have a outdoorsmans pistol grip and panner

Both items I use the outdoorsman bino system and studs.

Looking at the slik 733 or 833
Or
Standard outdoorsmans tripod

Sell me on the better choice! Thanks!

WKR
I would stick with the slik 733 or 633. I use the slik with no problems and I dont see the value in spending the extra money on the outdoorsman. I have used the swaro 95s on the 733 and I routinely use 15s and 80mm spotters on my 633. I also use the mirco outdoorman head and their adapters.

skierhs

WKR
I would go with the slik. I find that for the price outdoorsman isn’t anything special. That being said I did step up to a RRS Tripp’s and that is well worth the price but stupid expensive which is beside the point here. The best value is slik from those two in my opinion. Outdoorsman makes good stuff but nothing to write home about.

willidru

WKR
I haven’t used the outdoorsman but use a slick 634 and I’m not impressed with the quality or customer service. Locking legs aren’t great and the hardware isn’t durable in weather.

coues32

WKR
Might check with Joel at cameraland, picked up a Sirui n1204-va5 combo. It is around 3lb for the legs ,wanted a solid tripod for 85btx

• Banned
OP
HuntNTag

HuntNTag

WKR
I would stick with the slik 733 or 633. I use the slik with no problems and I dont see the value in spending the extra money on the outdoorsman. I have used the swaro 95s on the 733 and I routinely use 15s and 80mm spotters on my 633. I also use the mirco outdoorman head and their adapters.

Have you had to weigh down your tripods at all due to wind when you’ve used them? I’m usually hanging a nalgene or I use a crown royal bag filled with rocks just to get more stability because I have an ultralight tripod.

Curious on your experience with the Sliks there.

BBob

WKR
The Outdoorsmans in the wind with big optics will be more stable than the lighter carbon tripods. Yes the lighter carbons work but they are not as stable when the wind blows. You are already limited in stability with the Outdoorsmans pistol grip so the Slik's or Promaster might match up just fine though. To get carbons to work stability wise and keep the weight reasonable you need to bump up to a more expensive large diameter tube like an RRS or similar large tube carbon. I'm not just speculating, I've bought, borrowed and tested many. The only two left in the stable right now is an RRS and the original OD medium.

• Banned
OP
HuntNTag

HuntNTag

WKR
The Outdoorsmans in the wind with big optics will be more stable than the lighter carbon tripods. Yes the lighter carbons work but they are not as stable when the wind blows. You are already limited in stability with the Outdoorsmans pistol grip so the Slik's or Promaster might match up just fine though. To get carbons to work stability wise and keep the weight reasonable you need to bump up to a more expensive large diameter tube like an RRS or similar large tube carbon. I'm not just speculating, I've bought, borrowed and tested many. The only two left in the stable right now is an RRS and the original OD medium.

Any merit to the stability and differences of the medium OD and their new “standard” one?

BBob

WKR
Any merit to the stability and differences of the medium OD and their new “standard” one?
Honestly I can't say because I've never had one in my hands. I imagine it should be very similar and close but possibly slightly less stable because the lower sections are smaller diameter. I'm sure you've seen it but @robby denning has the standard for testing. At one point in his testing he preferred the OD over the lighter carbon with the BTX stability wise.

WKR
Have you had to weigh down your tripods at all due to wind when you’ve used them? I’m usually hanging a nalgene or I use a crown royal bag filled with rocks just to get more stability because I have an ultralight tripod.

Curious on your experience with the Sliks there.
I have never weighed down my tripods but I use them in a sitting position, rarely standing up. The 633 I wouldn't use the 95mm on fully erect and with the 82mm fully erect it can wobby in the wind. The 733 is stouter and I have no problems with it. Now I havent used the outsdoorman tripod and I am sure they are great just not worth the extra money to me in my opinion.

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Siriu 1204 or 1205 i believe with a va-5 head and it has been on hunts for stone sheep, bighorn, goats and had help up great, very stable, and durable, for my swaro 65, in very windy conditions i can throw some rocks in a dry bag i carry for my electronics, but have yet needed to do that, love the twist locks, fast to deploy.

OP
HuntNTag

HuntNTag

WKR
I have a Siriu 1204 or 1205 i believe with a va-5 head and it has been on hunts for stone sheep, bighorn, goats and had help up great, very stable, and durable, for my swaro 65, in very windy conditions i can throw some rocks in a dry bag i carry for my electronics, but have yet needed to do that, love the twist locks, fast to deploy.

I was just looking at the 1205 last night. It does look solid and it can hold a decent amount of weight. Thanks for the input here.

Just depends oh how much you’re trying to spend and what kind of weight you’re trying to carry.
I’ve been running an outdoorsman for 3 years with the standard pan and med compact and my buddies run sliks, both high quality. If anything I would highly recommend the outdoorsman pan head if anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
HuntNTag

HuntNTag

WKR
I appreciate all the feedback here. I looked at all the outdoorsmans, I checked out and took the stats from the Sliks and also looked at the Sirui’ as others recommended.

Decided to pull the trigger on the Sirui W-1204 for its weight load, size overall, extendable height and its right at 3 lbs, 1oz.

Thanks for everyone’s input here! Appreciate it.

The N series from Sirui is fantastic. It is exactly what you are looking for. The Sliks you mentioned are also excellent choice,s. The Sirui come with a 6 year warranty as well.
Give me a call to discuss the differences and the special Rokslide pricing

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly I can't say because I've never had one in my hands. I imagine it should be very similar and close but possibly slightly less stable because the lower sections are smaller diameter. I'm sure you've seen it but @robby denning has the standard for testing. At one point in his testing he preferred the OD over the lighter carbon with the BTX stability wise.
thanks Bob, and I just put 11 more days on the Slik so I'll be updating that thread soon. For those who can't wait, this is what I decided after a summer of head-to-head testing on the Slik vs. Outdoorsmans:

Outdoorsman's for the win on stability by a margin
Slik for the win on weight/compactness/leg locks.
Final decision: Outdoorsman's for the hunt-from-the truck hunts, Slik for pack-ins, or carrying my tripod on long hikes.

If you can't own both, I'd have to go with the Slik as I can't stand adding un-needed weight. Very tough decision.

Ohearchai

FNG
I've used a variety of tripods over the years, one thing that is for certain, once you have to use the center column if your tripod comes equipped with one. And its necessary to use it to gain height, that extra stability that a heavier tripod even cf or aluminum goes out the window.

OP
HuntNTag

HuntNTag

WKR
Ya, I ended up going with a carbon fiber Sirui due to what it could handle but also for the hook at the bottom to weigh it down. I don’t extend the neck of it just for that reason. I feel all the stability is lost right away so I tend to sit with my tripod 90% of the time.