Outdoorsman order: Am I missing anything?

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Getting ready to place and order with Outdoorsmans. I'm putting together a glassing setup for my early June Idaho bear hunt. So far, I'm thinking:

Swarovski 10x42 SLCs
Medium tripod
Regular panhead
Tall bino adapter (or should I get the short? I want room for 15s in the future)
Bino stud (do they install this for free when you order it?)

Am I missing anything?

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
If you gonna be doing a lot of glassing on this trip why not skip the 10x42s and get your 15x now. I just don't feel 10x42s are enough to spend the effort of a tripod set-up packing around.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah get the bigger binos game changer if you can and a tall adapter you can use a short but you will need to get an extra piece to put in between to fit the 15,s. Also if you want to use it standing get the extender piece.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

OP
A

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
If you gonna be doing a lot of glassing on this trip why not skip the 10x42s and get your 15x now. I just don't feel 10x42s are enough to spend the effort of a tripod set-up packing around.

These will be my main binos for elk season. The 15s are gonna have to wait.

OP
A

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
So the tall adapter is the way to go? I assume I can use the 10s on it? And what extender peice are you referring to?

I definitely recommend the tall adapter even if you were to only run 10x42s. It's easier on/off and I think you get better clearance for your hand to operate the tripod head more efficiently. Plus you get a little extra height if you happen to be running a shorter tripod. As far as the bino stud, you just screw it on a pair of slc's and snug down the set screw, piece of cake.

OP
A

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
I definitely recommend the tall adapter even if you were to only run 10x42s. It's easier on/off and I think you get better clearance for your hand to operate the tripod head more efficiently. Plus you get a little extra height if you happen to be running a shorter tripod. As far as the bino stud, you just screw it on a pair of slc's and snug down the set screw, piece of cake.

Awesome. Thank you.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Nothing better than glassing up bears!

Not on the list but,

Get the 12 ELs and be done with it. I've had all three, anything you can see with the 15s you will see the 12s plus the field of view is much better.

But don't discount glassing with 10s off a tripod. I've glassed up a lot of animals with quality 10s.

I still need a spotter with the 12s or 15s. So sometimes I go with 10s and the spotter to save on weight.

wildcat33

WKR

That was a handy piece of info there. I been planning on getting this setup this year and would have got the short/normal adapter.

frankrb3

WKR
So the tall adapter is the way to go? I assume I can use the 10s on it? And what extender peice are you referring to?

Yes it is. I only use 10x42s and I got the tall adapter. Gives my compact medium tripod a little more height when put together and will accommodate larger binoculars when you get them. Don't think for a second you wont benefit from having your 10x42s on a tripod. You will be able to see everything with no problems.

WRO

WKR

Not on the list but,

Get the 12 ELs and be done with it. I've had all three, anything you can see with the 15s you will see the 12s plus the field of view is much better.

But don't discount glassing with 10s off a tripod. I've glassed up a lot of animals with quality 10s.

I still need a spotter with the 12s or 15s. So sometimes I go with 10s and the spotter to save on weight.

What he said..

And I'll add, get a set of Slik 634 legs and use the outdoorsmans head. You'll save 100.00 and ~10 oz. Aluminum tripods suck, They're cold, they're loud, and they're heavier.

rino

FNG
Disagree: 10x42s can find huge gains in clarity on a tripod ...cant wait to get some 15x56 SLCs. Short bino stud works fine....plus better than tall from a window mount

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

joelbiltz

WKR
Tall adapter all the way. Center post extension is nice if you like to glass standing up and unless you are short can't be done without on the medium tripod. Outdoorsmans will install the stud but it's a simple instal screw in on the SLCs. Good luck. I love my outdoorsmans setup.

OP
A

AustinL911

Lil-Rokslider
Well. There goes $2500. Yikes.

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully I just bought myself some increased chances.

Not on the list but,

Yes, I also believe you will see with the 12 EL's what you would the 15 slc's. I just prefer slc's, and yes, 10's on a tripod is heaven in my book.

Yes it is. I only use 10x42s and I got the tall adapter. Gives my compact medium tripod a little more height when put together and will accommodate larger binoculars when you get them. Don't think for a second you wont benefit from having your 10x42s on a tripod. You will be able to see everything with no problems.

^^^THIS^^^

What he said..

And I'll add, get a set of Slik 634 legs and use the outdoorsmans head. You'll save 100.00 and ~10 oz. Aluminum tripods suck, They're cold, they're loud, and they're heavier.

I couldn't agree more! And they shake/vibrate like hell! So annoying.

Beendare

WKR
Got some opinions eh Austin- grinAnd the problem is- they are all right!

Heres the problem, 2 guys can look through the same bino and come away with diff opinions.

My opinion? First so you know where im coming from, i own the 10x42 slcs along with zeiss and vortex 15s and vortex 8x and have looked thru all of the top choices. There are other excellent binos for less if you do the research.... I like my swaro SLCs but they arent the best binos ive seen ( nikon EDG, Zeiss HTs , Leica ultra HD) are better to my eyes

I think your bino choice depends on intended use: so a one bino guy would do well with the 10s... as would a multi bino guy- 10x is good allaround. Are the 12x swaros better? Many say they are the best binos they make... but if you cant hand hold them (steady) some can/ some cant then they are a poor choice.

A 15x bino is bad ass on a tripod... a good 10x is very good.

I think there are better options for tripods- sirui and slik in carbon fiber.
Good luck.

Tilzbow

WKR
I've sold two Outdoorsmans tripods and replaced them with different size Sirui Carbon tripod. I use Outdoorsmans heads on both Sirui tripods.