Outdoorsman Tripod; Standard Vs Tall

pc3

WKR
Looking at the Outdoorsman tripods I am wondering if the tall is in-fact more versatile than the standard model. Not much difference in weight and you have the choice of a little more height if required.

For those outdoorsman tripods which model did you buy and why ?

Block

WKR
Not sure why they stopped carrying the medium.. it was my choice becuz with only 1 longer leg extension it just seems easier to use/setup.. Still love this Outdoorsman medium,, tho it has pretty much become a truck tripod now in favor of using a Sirui T-024sk for most hunts to save weight.

Reactions: pc3

TacoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I had a medium and sold it to but a Slik Pro and I am very happy with that decision. The outdoorsman is a great tripod, but it was noisy. Plus in a medium I could only using it sitting, it wasn’t tall enough to stand. I had the center pole extension and it is useless in any wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Q child

WKR
I have both the tall and the standard. It all comes down to use.

The standard is noticeably smaller in practical use. It packs down a couple inches shorter and is a bit narrower. It is perfect for glassing with binoculars or angled or straight spotting scopes while sitting. You can also use an angled spotting scope while standing, not something I do much, but it does work. I usually will take the standard if I am going to be carrying my 10s (primarily for handheld use) and my 55 mm angled spotting scope - my lightweight glassing kit.

The tall is tall enough to use while standing. I'm 6'2", and I also have the center post extension which allows me to look up a hill with binoculars while standing comfortably. Of course, it also works while sitting. I usually will take the tall if I am going to be carrying my 15s and my 85mm angled scope - my heavyweight glassing kit.

Bottom line, the tall is more versatile - it can do everything from sitting to standing regardless of your optic choice. The standard does have merits in real use though.

OP
P

pc3

WKR
Thanks folks I currently have a promaster 525 carbon unit........but have wondered about the outdoorsman. I cannot however complain my promaster tripod but wonder if the outdoorsman will be better again, it sounds like the tall is a versatile unit.