Outdoorsmans Customer Service

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
A couple weeks ago I made a comment in the Swarovski NL Pure thread about the poor customer service experiences I’ve had in the past with Outdoorsmans. Basically I have some items from them I’ve bought on line , but any time I called the store I was treated in a combative and condescending fashion. Honestly it has been years and I basically had written them off and wanted no contact with them.

Well, Blake from Outdoorsmans PM’d me and started a discussion of my issues. He explained there had recently been a management change and things were going to be different customer service wise.

I decided to test that out. I explained I had purchased a Jim White 2.0 head from them at Christmas. I used it in AZ on a Coues hunt in January and I must have got some grit in it as it was not smooth. I explained to Blake I did not even want to call the shop to ask a question or get some instructions to take it apart and clean/lube the head. He insisted I ship the head back to them and they would inspect and repair it, or send a new head out of there was a problem. My Jim White 2.0 was back to me yesterday and the whole process took less than a week.

I was impressed they reached out to me and I was really impressed on how I was treated throughout the whole process.

Mark me down for a very positive Outdoorsmans experience and I do plan to give them more opportunities to prove the new regime is serious and consistent about treating customers with respect.

Brianb3

WKR
Sent my el ranges to swarro to get worked on. Swarro took the bino stud out when they repaired it. Told outdoorsman and they said send it in we’ll cover reinstalling no charge.

Fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pirogue

WKR
Not trying to sidestep the topic of customer service, but they told me they were no longer able to get Jim White heads a couple of years ago.( maybe it is customer service, here). Are you talking about a new Jim White head?

Bcleck90

WKR
They’ve always been pretty easy to deal with on the phone for me when I’ve had questions. Maybe I was just lucky. Glad you got it sorted out.

@Steve O did you deal with multiple people before the last guy reached out or was it just one bad experience?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not trying to sidestep the topic of customer service, but they told me they were no longer able to get Jim White heads a couple of years ago.( maybe it is customer service, here). Are you talking about a new Jim White head?
Yes they have a new one out that is arca swiss compatible

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
They’ve always been pretty easy to deal with on the phone for me when I’ve had questions. Maybe I was just lucky. Glad you got it sorted out.

@Steve O did you deal with multiple people before the last guy reached out or was it just one bad experience?

It was multiple times in the past. Can’t say for sure if it was the same person.

Jim White died a couple years ago. There was a time you could NOT get the heads. I believe Outdoorsmans sells the original and the 2.0 which is Arca Swiss compatible.

Last edited:

Grumman

WKR
I’ve called in the past and just wasn’t left with a feeling they really wanted my business. I had a tripod head issue a couple weeks ago and received fantastic customer service when I called in. I ended up ordering more items while I was on the phone. Good on them for improving. It was noticeable to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mproberts

WKR
I saw your comments a few days ago Steve O and had experienced a lot of the same things from them in the past. I always chalked it up to them being understaffed and didn't take it personally, but you're right it was annoying. I once drove 2 hours out of my way to visit their store in person, their hours were listed as opening at 9 and it was like 9:30 and they weren't open yet... so I waited until 10. Nothing, so I called them.. no answer.. then after like the third call they answered the phone and finally opened up the store. I definitely got the feeling I was inconveniencing them even though I ended up giving them a good amount of money that day.

Glad to hear they reached out to you and helped you out. I found myself calling them a couple days ago to ask a question before I purchased something and after the 7th or so ring, I was like oh no.. hear we go... but just at that point they picked up and answered my question super fast and all was good. Their products are top notch so glad to see their service is getting on par now.

All my experiences with outdoorsmans have been positive.
When you charge alpha prices for a product not only does the product have to be top notch but the service must be also.
If something is not right they need to make it right immediately.
I work in the electrical service industry. Customer service and satisfaction are the rule not the exception

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
A couple weeks ago I made a comment in the Swarovski NL Pure thread about the poor customer service experiences I’ve had in the past with Outdoorsmans. Basically I have some items from them I’ve bought on line , but any time I called the store I was treated in a combative and condescending fashion. Honestly it has been years and I basically had written them off and wanted no contact with them.

Well, Blake from Outdoorsmans PM’d me and started a discussion of my issues. He explained there had recently been a management change and things were going to be different customer service wise.

I decided to test that out. I explained I had purchased a Jim White 2.0 head from them at Christmas. I used it in AZ on a Coues hunt in January and I must have got some grit in it as it was not smooth. I explained to Blake I did not even want to call the shop to ask a question or get some instructions to take it apart and clean/lube the head. He insisted I ship the head back to them and they would inspect and repair it, or send a new head out of there was a problem. My Jim White 2.0 was back to me yesterday and the whole process took less than a week.

I was impressed they reached out to me and I was really impressed on how I was treated throughout the whole process.

Mark me down for a very positive Outdoorsmans experience and I do plan to give them more opportunities to prove the new regime is serious and consistent about treating customers with respect.
I had the same Positive experience recently. I emailed them with a question and not only got a response, but a follow up phone call to make sure my question/issue was resolved. Definitely impressed

pirogue

WKR
It was multiple times in the past. Can’t say for sure if it was the same person.

Jim White died a couple years ago. There was a time you could NOT get the heads. I believe Outdoorsmans sells the original and the 2.0 which is Arca Swiss compatible.
That is what I was told by Outdoorsman. They said he died and there would be no more Jim White heads. And now there are 2 models available? Very interesting.

OP
Steve O

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m fairly certain they bought the business from Mrs White and that took some time.

pirogue

WKR
I’m fairly certain they bought the business from Mrs White and that took some time.
I’ve had mine for several years(before he died). Do you know if the older ones are distinguishable from what is available now?

Great experiences here through the years! I haven’t ordered anything since last year but, Joe is/was my contact and he delivered. Hope he is still there? They even sent multiple items (along with a postage paid return package) to make sure I had a second option, if I didn’t like their recommendation.

fatrascal

WKR
I've been buying stuff from them since about 2003 and I've always had good service. I recently sent 3 different pairs of binoculars into them for stud installation and everything went great. Fatrascal