Outdoorsmans Fluid Head

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well it's finally here. The Outdoorsmans Fluid Head! Click here -> Outdoorsmans Fluid Head

I'm a big believer in the regular pan head for most purposes, but the heavy weights of bigger optics do push its limits. Being a videographer it's tough to find a head that will handle the weight of big spotters with cameras attached, are durable and are packable. The head will accept arca-Swiss (used for peak design capture clips), manfrotto AND the outdoorsmans plates. That is a huge huge positive. Plus the head is rated for 20 lbs and weighs 23 oz. This head will not be for all users, but guides and hunters constantly behind big optics in the field this head is worth a look. The only initial downside to the head I foresee is the price tag of $699. While that is more expensive than most heads our industry typically sees, that isn't off track for a similar style head in the videography world. The difference is the Outdoorsmans head is American made, right in Payson, AZ, is going to be very durable I'm sure and was designed with the backcountry hunter/videographer as the end user.

My Fluid head is on the way, I'll update everyone on this thread as I use it.

82cb8c02cac5febc6c9777ef002ed8d3.png

"Introducing the Outdoorsmans Fluid Head. Our customers have been asking us for years about producing a larger version of our existing Pan Head that can tackle the big jobs of the glassing and shooting world. Once again the masterminds at Rim Country Manufacturing have knocked it out of the park.

The Fluid Head offers a smooth-as-glass pan and tilt and as always is made completely from billet aluminum. As always, weight is our number one concern. This indestructible piece of equipment only weighs 23 ounces. That is nearly half the weight of similar styled pan heads.

If you are currently using Arca Swiss style quick release plates you are in luck, and if you are using Manfrotto style quick release plate you are ALSO in luck. The Outdoorsmans Fluid Head comes with two sets of jaws that can be installed to accommodate both Arca and Manfrotto style plates."

Attachments

• IMG_0001.PNG
    IMG_0001.PNG
    412.1 KB · Views: 65
Let us know how it performs with the swaro 95 objective and the BTX. Fatrascal.

Unbelievably smooth! I have only tried the MicroPan, Swarovski, Manfrotto 500 and the Jim White but, this thing is in a league of it's own. Much lighter and more nimble than Swaro and manfrottoi 5oo heads.

Pan adjustment knob is nearest operator/under the scope so, I am not crazy about that but, will get used to it! Works great with BTX/95 down to 10X32EL. Everyone is different but, i think its a great product and worth my money!

Last edited:

Unreal_TK

FNG
Do you think the outdoorsman line is the one and done of tripods ? I’ve had a couple now and wear them out due to a beating of use

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you think the outdoorsman line is the one and done of tripods ? I’ve had a couple now and wear them out due to a beating of use

You wear the Outdoorsmans tripods out? I don’t really think they’re the one and done. If your tough on gear and need durability I think they’re more durable than the other options. I’ve had very little troubles with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unreal_TK

FNG
No I haven’t owned an outdoorsman tripod yet, that’s why I was enquiring. I’d prefer the cry once, buy once rule of thumb.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
No I haven’t owned an outdoorsman tripod yet, that’s why I was enquiring. I’d prefer the cry once, buy once rule of thumb.

Gotcha! I personally don't think you can find a more durable tripod for the backcountry. Get the neoprene sleeves to help with some noise and how cold the aluminum legs can get.

The fluid head is worth the money. That paired with their BTX rail (which works with atx/stx objectives) operates that heavy setup like butter.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update on my head;

I was having some issues with the tilt and had to send it into outdoorsmans. It was basically stuck in one tilt tension and wouldn’t tighten or loosen. One quick call and I had it out in the mail back to Arizona. They said they hadn’t encountered that issue with the head yet but thought it’d be an easy fix. A couple days later it was in the mail quickly shipped back to me all good to go. Not sure what the issue was but it was quickly taken care of and fixed. Working like new ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk