Outdoorsmans Micro Head Mods

parshal

WKR
I picked up a used micro and Jim White 2.0 here. I really like the tension adjustment on the JW. I can set that so an 883 won't fall over and it's still very smooth. I'd replaced the Outdoorsmans clamp on the micro with an arca swiss so any warranty was already gone. So, I decided to try and add a tension screw to the micro.

I started with an 8-32 which is really the best size but there's not enough thread engagement. If the indention didn't go all the way around the outside there'd be plenty of material to use a small set screw. I ended up using a 1/4-28 set screw which catches on the sides and provides more engagement. I machined a little delrin disk and dropped that in the hole first so as not to scratch anything.

It works and will hold 12x50's at an angle without using the handle. If I tighten pretty tight it'll hold the 883 without drooping but the movement is tighter than I like. When tightened to my liking it certainly won't let the scope slam down when the handle is loosened. Time will tell if I like it or not but simply backing out the screw and it returns to normal function. Surprisingly, the micro absorbs just as much vibration as the JW so I could see using the micro in a pinch with the 883.

I just had to include the deer eating leaves outside my office window you see in the first pic.

head1.jpg
head2.jpg
deerwindow.jpg

Last edited:
Good mod Parshal. It's not fun when the binos flop over cause you didn't get the tension just right on the twist handle.

Off topic but, if memory serves me you once had an ATX. How do you like the 883 vs the ATX?

OP
parshal

parshal

WKR
I had the ATX with a 95 and 65. The 883 is lighter and less expensive. I like the focus knobs better than the barrel focus.

As far as the view, I’d have to try the Swaro side by side. The Kowa is fantastic.