Outdoorsman’s Pan Head

USMC22

WKR
I’m really struggling with the decision to purchase the Outdoorsman’s Pan Head or not. I have a pair of 8.5x Swaro EL’s I would have to send in for the stud. I’m located in the north east and until the kids get older will not be making any trips out west. Binos for me are a scouting tool. I have a manfrotto 324RC2 now but it struggles with smoothness. Seems like I’m adjusting the tension and never really getting the jerk out. My concerns are durability, long term service (repair if needed) and user serviceable maintenance. I’ve read this is a true fluid head? (Not the new $700 one that is labeled a fluid head).

Jmcmicken

FNG
I got the pistol grip head and love it for Binos mor than the pan head. The pan head shines for bigger spotters and gridding

Sadler

WKR
It’s a pretty slick system man. I had the panhead and compact medium tripod for about four years now with no complaints.You won’t regret getting one. If you’re struggling with the price try to pick up a used one on here or get their smaller cheaper micro panhead. Should work perfectly with those 8.5’s.

tdhanses

WKR
I got the pistol grip head and love it for Binos mor than the pan head. The pan head shines for bigger spotters and gridding

I run my spotter on it with a panner attachment, works fine as well.

OP I highly recommend the bino hand for your EL’s vs sending in for a stud install, I’ve had/have both.

tdhanses

WKR
What’s the bino hand?

tdhanses

WKR
Fist off overall cost (shipping binos, stud install and then adapter, you’ll spend $150+ overall), secondly if you ever change binos you get to keep it, third no shipping off your binos to have a stud pressed into them. Both hold binos very solid, the bino hand is bulkier but that’s the only con, well guess weight as it’s an oz or 2 heavier.

Hairhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m really struggling with the decision to purchase the Outdoorsman’s Pan Head or not. I have a pair of 8.5x Swaro EL’s I would have to send in for the stud. I’m located in the north east and until the kids get older will not be making any trips out west. Binos for me are a scouting tool. I have a manfrotto 324RC2 now but it struggles with smoothness. Seems like I’m adjusting the tension and never really getting the jerk out. My concerns are durability, long term service (repair if needed) and user serviceable maintenance. I’ve read this is a true fluid head? (Not the new $700 one that is labeled a fluid head).
+1 For the Pistol Grip.with the Panning attachment.Could not be happier with mine.

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
I had my 10x42 EL sent in for the stud adapter. Works great. I have had both the pan head and micro panhead and much prefer the regular pan head to the micro even with binos. It is also great for my ATX 65mm spotter. The micro was ok but preferred the balance and smoothness of the regular panhead. Worth the extra 3oz.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
How well does this work? I’m running an outdoorsman pan head but my hunting partner doesn’t want to spend that kind of money.
I love it. I've not personally used the outdoorsman's but from everyone I know who has used both they claim the sirui is more smooth.

fatrascal

WKR
I've had the Outdoorsmans pistol grip and the pan head for about 15 years. Both are solid and durable. The pistol grip is faster and I feel the pan head is better for digiscoping but you can do it all with either. Fatrascal.

samolot

FNG
Another option that I have for swaro glass: https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=70&sprache=english

German made universal bino adapter - the green version is the same color as swaro and matches beautifully. Its simple, light, and you can use them with any binocular. Only negative is that you can't adjust IDP.

Relatively cheaper too. Id recommend buying direct from them and not the Vixen distributor state-side. They ship fast and if you ask nicely, theyll give you a discount.

I run the Jim White for my spotter and 10x42s. Really love it so if you're thinking about the fluid head I wouldn't hesitate. Some guys like the pistol grips but I'm not a fan. I like getting mine just loose enough to move my binos hands free by just moving my face.