Outdoorsmans vs Kramer Bino Tower

ChrisAU

WKR
Anyone happen to have a pic of them side by side? I need just a hair less IPD than I can get on my BX-4 12x50's with an Outdoorsman's tall adapter. Anyone know if the KDC tower is any narrower? It also looks almost like it would work with the Outdoorsman's quick release adapters but I bet I'd need to put it on an Outdoorsmans 1/4-20 plate to make it work?

I played with the KDC at sheep show this year, I personally think it’s superior to the Outdoorsmans stud and tower as far as weight and speed/ease of install.

I would suggest give Terry Kramer a call 406-933-8658 (from his website)

Disclaimer: I do have the Outdoorsmans on my ELs and I own a KDC tripod. KDC and Outdoorsmans are both great 👍

Tag_Soup

WKR
No experience with KDC, but I hear they rock. If the KDC doesn't get you where you need to be, the Field Optics Research V2 probably will. I have swapped to it and it rocks. Probably wouldn't be quite stable enough for 15's, but for 10x42's it rocks and I suspect 12's wouldn't be an issue.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Here’s the issue I’m having, I’m losing a good bit off the minimum IPD.

025E15D3-D282-44EA-A34D-47A31913D683.jpeg

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I really just need 1MM or so it seems. I can look through it and barely notice it or not notice it at all with the eye cups fully in but I'd bet a headache is coming if I try to glass long. Would prefer the comfort of the eye cups extended but I can definitely tell then - maybe I need to be viewing with them not extended though?

I really just need 1MM or so it seems. I can look through it and barely notice it or not notice it at all with the eye cups fully in but I'd bet a headache is coming if I try to glass long. Would prefer the comfort of the eye cups extended but I can definitely tell then - maybe I need to be viewing with them not extended though?
Have you looked into the Outdoorsmans Ring Adapter? They sent me one when I had the same issue with their quick disconnect adapter. It allowed me to get the IPD on larger binos so that my bino barrels touch within 1mm.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Well the KDC allowed me to close them 1.1mm further.

It is also significantly lighter. The KDC stud barely registers on my scale, it is 0.05 oz max compared to the 0.2 oz Outdoorsmans stud. Also the KDC bino tower is 0.55 oz vs 1.9 oz for the Outdoorsmans tall bino adapter, though with my Outdoorsmans pistol grip I’ll have to add a 1/4-20 adapter plate to it which is additional 1 oz. I know these weight are basically trivial but I’m sure someone will search for weight data on them at some point.

Still want to play with them both more to decide which I like better as far as function.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Just messed around with them for an hour. I think if you have been using one system for years you may struggle moving to the other, but starting new with one I don’t think the learning curve is any different.

I do think the KDC is a bit more simple attachment/detachment process but you have to be a little more precise with the stud placement when attaching binos. I do believe if your system allows for it that attaching the tower/adapter to the binos before putting it on your tripod is easier if you are using the Outdoorsmans quick disconnect plates to attach it to your tripod head or a similar system.

If you are clumsy or want to use your tripod as a walking stick with the bino tower/bino adapter attached the Outdoorsman’s does seem to be a good bit stronger and more substantial, though I don’t see that being an issue for me.

Here’s some pics for size comparisons, note that in this pic I do have the KDC bino tower on an Outdoorsman’s adapter plate.

B3DF1877-9B6B-4551-B109-6C06E4206287.jpeg69FD8C31-E8F2-4565-8BB6-35C23526BDC3.jpeg