Outer Layer Suggestions

cmat1120

FNG
I'm trying to rework my clothing system after testing it recently and not being entirely happy. I tried the base/fleece/rain (no need for puffy due to temps) combo and my system didn't quite work. Even with just a base and rain I got too hot (I'm one of those people that start sweating when I think too hard) and wearing the base or fleece without the rain jacket just seems likely to cause tears. I'll keep the rain set(core 4 element top and bottom) for hunts when rain is definitely expected and make the compromise then, but for times when rain is not expected I'm thinking I want to go with a lightweight(11 oz) poncho for just in case and then go with something like a softshell for my outer layer. Currently I run merino base + army issued waffle top for under layers and warmth wise I'm pretty happy with those so I would be completely open to an uninsulated soft shell(like the PCU level 6 jacket if it were quiet) or just an all around good soft shell to replace the waffle top if it breathes well. I have a preference for multicam styles when it comes to camo, but I don't care enough to let it influence this decision any more than a tie breaker. I'm not made of money, but I get the whole weight, performance, cost pick two thing so I'd be happy to hear suggestions on both sides of that spectrum with performance being a necessity.

TLDR: I'm looking for some suggestions on uninsulated soft shells if there are any good quiet ones, or regular soft shells with good breathe-ability.

BTW First Lite Catalyst has my attention currently

Last edited:
The surplus issue soft shell is not bad for the price. What I don’t like is the big Velcro patches on the arms but it’s not a deal breaker. It definitely blocks wind really good and is pretty water resistant. I e used the jacket and pants in an all day light drizzle and my body heat pretty much kept me dry under them

OP
C

cmat1120

FNG
The surplus issue soft shell is not bad for the price. What I don’t like is the big Velcro patches on the arms but it’s not a deal breaker. It definitely blocks wind really good and is pretty water resistant. I e used the jacket and pants in an all day light drizzle and my body heat pretty much kept me dry under them

I watched some videos online and it seemed pretty noisy, is this not the case? The PCU jacket would be perfect if its quiet enough to wear even while stalking, but if not then I don't see a useful place for it in my system as it would only be used as a rain jacket or wind breaker while sitting still. I need something I can wear while quietly moving around that at least protects my soft base layers from brush and preferably from wind and slight moisture.

I’ve worn that same fleece mid layer as an outer layer to work construction for years. Also regularly wear merino as an outer layer. Both in construction and in the woods. Yes they get worn out after a few years of use, but I don’t see that as an issue. I’d be more worried about ripping my rain gear than my inner layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MillCreekMike

Lil-Rokslider
Cabellas Lookout fleece. The name is deceiving. It's a fleece lined soft shell (lightly lined) it blocks wind well & has a great DWR. I bought & sold the Catalyst, thought it would be better. It's not & neither in Kuiu's DCS guide. If it had pit zips I would call it perfect. I got mine, pre-Bass pro sell, but they are still on the inventory.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have the FL Catalyst top and bottoms. Wore just the pants with nothing under it and the jacket with just a tshirt and my poncho liner hoodie under this morning. Temperatures were 28-34 in fog and everything was wet. It was perfect for a slow walk through the woods and brush with frequent stops to look for grouse. I tend to sweat pretty quickly whenever I do anything and if I were to throw a pack on I would ditch the jacket while hiking. It’s only form of ventilation is to unzip the pockets on the chest and the normal pockets (they are mesh inside). If I could change some things to it, I would add pit zips. It is a super quiet setup though, 10x better than the 100% polyester Browning speed pants I was using. I think the catalyst with a rain shell would be perfect for almost any weather. With some puffys you can do all the sitting you need too. Any other questions just ask.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Hey man. I have the firstlite vapor storm light jacket and pants. They are super light weight, perfect for keeping you dry but not getting hot.

OP
C

cmat1120

FNG
I currently have the FL Catalyst top and bottoms. Wore just the pants with nothing under it and the jacket with just a tshirt and my poncho liner hoodie under this morning. Temperatures were 28-34 in fog and everything was wet. It was perfect for a slow walk through the woods and brush with frequent stops to look for grouse. I tend to sweat pretty quickly whenever I do anything and if I were to throw a pack on I would ditch the jacket while hiking. It’s only form of ventilation is to unzip the pockets on the chest and the normal pockets (they are mesh inside). If I could change some things to it, I would add pit zips. It is a super quiet setup though, 10x better than the 100% polyester Browning speed pants I was using. I think the catalyst with a rain shell would be perfect for almost any weather. With some puffys you can do all the sitting you need too. Any other questions just ask.

I appreciate that info on your experience. Based on that I think I'm going to stick with a non insulating outer layer as I'll rarely see temps that cold so I definitely need something lighter. I'm 99% sure I've settled on the Outdoor Research Ferrosi jacket. Looked at them in person and they're crazy light and not noisy. I'm sure some of the suggestions here are more water resistant, but this will be for hunts where rain is unlikely and I'll just have a lightweight poncho packed in case. Still going to stick with my core 4 element rain pieces for rainy hunts.

*zap*

WKR
The pcu level 5 jacket is somewhat noisy but the level 4 wind jacket is not and is an awesome wind jacket for the $. If the Velcro bothers you just cut the stitching and take em off.