Outer layers for September Elk hunt

KRATOCT

FNG
First time elk hunter headed out to Colorado for the last two weeks of September this year. I’ve waited until the last 2-3 months before we leave to dump a ton of money into gear that I should have been accumulating for the past year+ so getting down to what might be more of a necessity vs. what would be nice to have for an arsenal of clothing options. If you have not so necessary suggestions, mention those as well but they’ll probably have to wait until next year for the not so necessary.
I recently placed an order for the First Lite wick 1/4 zip and the kiln zip off bottoms and briefs. I have the early season scentlok savanna reign jacket and pants and Scentlok AMP midweight base layers top and bottom for whitetail that I’ve had for a couple years. The first lite gear will for sure be the first base layer against the skin. I’m not sure it would be necessary or helpful to wear the scentlok base layers over that or not. And as of now, planning for the savanna jacket and pant as the outer layer.
My main question, is this a bad plan? Do I need to try to invest in a couple more articles of clothing for more of a mid weight or outer layer? If so, open to recommendations.

For the last two weeks of September gaiters are pretty nice to have often. The grass and brush can be wet in the mornings from dew, or if it rains over night , and you don’t need to wear rain gear.

The last two weeks of September typically get rain/snow in mountains at some point. I would consider rain gear necessary, The gaitors nice to have if possible. Sometimes I just wear the rain pants if I don’t have gaiters if the brush/grasses are wet in the am.

No. You’re overthinking it. You don’t need those expensive name brands. A soft shell jacket with a packable puffy and merino base layer is sufficient. Many elk have been killed in jeans and a flannel.

If I had to pick one item as a bigger investment for that time of year it would be a Sitka Jetstream jacket. It’s unreal. Pit zips because you’ll definitely sweat. But a great shell with a light lining. Perfect pocket layout. A hood for when the wind is getting it. A puffy under that will serve you well when it gets cold. Put some rain gear over that if you’re sitting and want to retain all your heat. My Jetstream is like an old friend who tuffed it out through the same stuff I did.

I guess I’ll also say the best boots you can afford.

Couple of cheap poly or wool baselayer tops - couple pair of lighter weight pants - puffy coat- light raingear like Cabelas space rain -good socks - good boots - gators - warm hat is all you really need. - just no cotton and you will be fine - people way over do it on expensive clothes.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
prepare for wet or even a snow storm in late September, high country can get cold, windy too.
I pack clothes for temps that maybe encountered; 20-30's, 40-60's F.

Aside from rain gear, what I would add to your clothing would be a down-puffy and a wind proof vest. I like Sitka Jetstream vest but sure First LIte has something comparable.

OP
K

KRATOCT

FNG
I have gaiters and boots are already factored in, just have to choose one and send the rest back.

I also have a couple hundred dollars in cabelas gift cards I could contribute to something and that’ll help the budget. Would I be better served to put that towards the space rain gear or towards something like the Sitka jetstream?

What’s the rain like in the mountains? Lite and last all day or does it usually blow over quickly? I have a frog toggs poncho I thought I’d bring for down pour. Hearing mixed things on whether or not rain gear is necessary.

Also, as far as puffy coats go, what should I look for here? Not too familiar with them and haven’t hardly heard of them before.

Last edited:
I’m bringing rain pants and jacket.
Also, bringing a hooded waterproof puff jacket. It’s 850 fill, packs nicely. Have a 150 and 200 merino layer that should do me for moving around.

have a light down vest too, but that may be overkill.

JB64

Lil-Rokslider
Merino or preferably a merino blend like the First Lite Wick is great for next to skin. A mid layer like their Klamath, or Sitka Core heavy weight Hoody is good. You can also get a Patagonia R1 which is the garment that all others are imitating. For pants, hard to beat the Prana Stretch Zion in terms of cost and durability. Puffys: First Lite Uncompagdre is popular. Their Brooks is a down puffy thats also well built. Don’t wear the puffy jackets in brush or wear when doing much moving, you’ll warm up quick. Buy solids too, camouflage doesn’t matter. Plus you can use those items for other activities. Same with Rain gear, I have the First Light Vapor top but im not packing rain pants. Gaitors are always a good option as well.

The only camouflage im packing in is a beanie and neck gaiter. Layering is vital but it’s not hard to build a system and it doesn’t have to match.
Always pack an extra pair of good socks too.

Nothing special about a puffy. Mine is a Cabelas. Just a down insulated nylon jacket. The down is the ultimate insulation and the big thing is they are lightweight and very compressible. So no weight or bulk but a great mid layer.

bozeman

WKR
Keep in mind for those ppl saying many elk have been killed in blue jeans flannel that many people travelled out west with horse and wagon.......are expensive clothes needed, no, but you do need to be cognizant of being comfortable. Spend the $$ on boots for sure.....then a cheap puffy to put under a rain shell (REI, OR, Columbia, Eddie Bauer) can all be had for a decent price. Gaiters are a nice to have and find myself using them often (more than I ever thought). Also, keep in mind, you can help regulate body temp with the type of hat/cap/tobagan/beanie you wear...... best of luck and BE SAFE!

wytx

WKR
Just be prepared for any weather. This was last Sept. I would have liked to see someone in jeans out hunting in this. It amounted to about 18 inches when it was all said and done.
Plenty of layers, don't have to be expensive .

DSCN0770 copy.jpg

OP
K

KRATOCT

FNG
Well I ended up spending a lot more than I had planned for but took advantage of the First Lite sale and went with the wick merino base layer top, kiln base layer bottom, Klamath hoody and uncompahgre puffy. I still may burn a cabelas gift card up on the space rain if thats strongly recommended although I’m curious how rivers west compares. I’ve heard it’s much quieter.

For future reference, not for this trip, what is recommended for a good pair of pants for this time of year in CO? Like I said I have the bottom merino base layer but looking for more of a outer layer. Im not sure a mid layer is necessary. My legs don’t get cold nearly as quick as the upper half.

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Well I ended up spending a lot more than I had planned for but took advantage of the First Lite sale and went with the wick merino base layer top, kiln base layer bottom, Klamath hoody and uncompahgre puffy. I still may burn a cabelas gift card up on the space rain if thats strongly recommended although I’m curious how rivers west compares. I’ve heard it’s much quieter.

For future reference, not for this trip, what is recommended for a good pair of pants for this time of year in CO? Like I said I have the bottom merino base layer but looking for more of a outer layer. Im not sure a mid layer is necessary. My legs don’t get cold nearly as quick as the upper half.
I wore Wrangler stretch outdoor pants last season. For $26 a pair, I don’t think you could get better cheap pants for backpack/hiking hunting. I had merino bottoms on under them and didn’t get cold. Granted I was there after the big first week 18” of snow. Unless you plan on sitting over wallows or not moving much, you really don’t need super warm clothing. Good to be prepared for the cold weather, but for the most part you’re looking at 70+ in the day and 20 or so degrees at night. I’d focus on boots and your sleep system over the clothing aspect in regards to where to spend your money.

OP
K

KRATOCT

FNG
I wore Wrangler stretch outdoor pants last season. For $26 a pair, I don’t think you could get better cheap pants for backpack/hiking hunting. I had merino bottoms on under them and didn’t get cold. Granted I was there after the big first week 18” of snow. Unless you plan on sitting over wallows or not moving much, you really don’t need super warm clothing. Good to be prepared for the cold weather, but for the most part you’re looking at 70+ in the day and 20 or so degrees at night. I’d focus on boots and your sleep system over the clothing aspect in regards to where to spend your money.
Love those wrangler stretch pants from Walmart. Those are on my list to get. I actually wear them everyday for work. Very nice for the price. Not super durable but they’ll last me 4-6 months before the holes around the front pockets get too out of hand but I am a big fan.

kcm2

WKR
Use regular outdoor gear at half the price. Get a camo leafy suit to cover it. Spend the rest of the money on another hunting trip.