Outer layers for September Elk hunt

stickbuck

FNG
Recently added a puffy to my hunting clothing boxes. The first time I wore it I was instantly regretting not purchasing one so many years ago. It will compress down to nothing to conserve space and provides a great amount of warmth when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arock

Lil-Rokslider
You'll want a packable puffy. We were up in the high country the last two weekends, first weekend trip got cut short due to a dramatic weather change - dumped 25 degrees in the middle of the afternoon and we were not prepared to deal with sub 40 temps especially with the wind and rain. When people say anything can happen weather wise up there - it isn't BS. Edit: Just saw you picked up the Uncompahgre, that'll be perfect.

Brought the right gear this past weekend and even though it frosted we were comfortable and had a good time. My girlfriend ended up with my puffy so I got by with a merino t shirt, light long sleeve, a fleece hoody and a down vest and gloves for the evening meal and morning coffee. I wouldn't go up there again without a puffy at least in the truck to avoid having to completely abort or drive into town to pick something up.

Pants - depends on how hot or cold you run. Any not cotton pants with a merino base layer is usually fine for me when its under 35 if I'm moving. Any pants work above 35 for me (again when moving). Puffy pants around camp or having a woobie or similar blanket is a nice luxury item for when you're not moving but maybe not worth the weight or space penalty.

A sleeping pad with a decent R value would be a good thing to spend some money on.

Last edited:

arock

Lil-Rokslider
Any recommendations on the best rain gear?

Anything Gore-Tex usually doesn't suck. Packabality from there depends on budget. That being said I have a less expensive Columbia rain coat that will eventually wet out but for Colorado it would probably be good enough.