Outer Layers

I’ve been reading some threads on here, and I want to know your opinions on some possible options of outer layers, mostly for treestand hunting with a little still hunting here and there. What are your experiences with these lines?
Kryptek Vellus
First Lite Solitude
Cabelas MTO50 Whitetail Extrem

I have the MTO50 bibs and they're great for tree stand hunting. Warm, Goretex, and maybe a little less expensive than other brand names.

brad407210

Lil-Rokslider
MT050 has worked well for me, I went up one size on the bibs to fit extra insulation under them and got my normal size in the coat so I could still shoot my bow. If I have the right layers underneath including a puffy, a set of boot blankets and a neck gaiter I'm good for all day sits in the teens and could survive a couple hours down to zero.

TN2shot07

WKR
If you can catch them on sale with your size the solitude is a nice setup. The pass through pocket is super nice for a stand and they have enough room to layer up/
down for everything I need (15-50 mostly). I’ve always have a separate setup for still hunting, I like something fairly light with a lot of mobility.

LostArra

WKR
Been very happy with sitka fanatic jck & bibs.
Just based on my adult daughter's hunting experience with the Fanatic gear I would say it's the gold standard for frigid tree stand hunting.

She hates being cold but never hesitates to hunt cold days once she got the Fanatic. A four hour sit that never reached 10 degrees was the ultimate test. Her dad got a bit uncomfortable but her stand was covered up in deer that morning so we stayed. Mr Big Buck never showed.

dallas.kc

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got the Vellus. I’ve used it twice, both times in the rain. I’ve been waiting for it to get colder here in Missouri so I can really put it to the rest. On paper it sounds like it would be great, need more first hand experience before I can say one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gclubb02

FNG
I like my solitude bibs a lot. I have yet to own a piece of first lite gear that I don’t like

I use the Cabelas MTO 50 bibs as well and one of their heavy wind Fleece jackets over a wool sweater unless rain is a maybe. Wonder if they will cheapen them up like everything else now they are part of Basspro.

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have the MTO50 and the Sitka Fanatic system. Similar warmth, but the Fanatic is much lighter, more athletic cut and allows me to shoot my bow like I'm target shooting. If I was gun/cross bow hunting I'd go MTO50, less expensive and Goretex is nice in the rain and snow. However, it's too bulky for me to shoot my bow, so I would recommend the Fanatic for archery hunting unless you're able to accurately shoot in the MTO50. It's a terrible feeling to blow a shot on a huge buck because your string hits your clothing on an odd shot angle. I know from experience.

Milwaukee heated sweatshirt and Under Armour base layers keep me warm late season treestands in WI. Cabelas windproof gear is really great too for the money

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Very happy with the solitude bibs and coat. Sat a stand in <20 and even some 30ish with rain and misty wind the last two seasons and never been uncomfortable.

Josh_

FNG
I looked at the Solitude when I bought some new treestand clothing the year before last. I love me some First Lite gear but it’s hard to justify the price of highly technical clothing for treestand hunting.

I went with the Cabelas Woolimate and have not been disappointed. I am bow hunting 90% of the time. It’s very warm. The Cabelas fleece stuff is also really nice.

OP
P
I looked at the Solitude when I bought some new treestand clothing the year before last. I love me some First Lite gear but it’s hard to justify the price of highly technical clothing for treestand hunting.

I went with the Cabelas Woolimate and have not been disappointed. I am bow hunting 90% of the time. It’s very warm. The Cabelas fleece stuff is also reall

I went with the Cabelas Woolimate and have not been disappointed. I am bow hunting 90% of the time. It’s very warm. The Cabelas fleece stuff is also really nice.
Can you give me an idea of the temps and weather you’ve used the wooltimate in?

JGTWI

WKR
I have a pair of the wooltimate pants that I have been comfortable enough in down to the teens with a base layer. They pick up burrs like crazy though.
I just bought the FL sanctuary jacket and bibs this year, and they would definitely be warmer than the wooltimate. It hasn’t been cold enough here to wear them yet, and I’m probably done for the season. Probably overkill unless the temps really drop.

Josh_

FNG
I have worn them in the single digits all day with the right layering. When it’s that cold ,FL furnace bottoms, FL hooded kiln top with some type of soft shell jacket or vest.
They do pick up burrs.
Don’t get me wrong would love to have the Solitude gear but the Woolimate is good bang for your buck in terms of warmth and functionality.
Saving my loot for some Alpha Glass. 😃

Can you give me an idea of the temps and weather you’ve used the wooltimate in