Outer Layers

psalm1715

FNG
I the price of Sitka and First Lite may be daunting at first, but it is worth it in the long run. Also, there are places to find deals on those clothes.

DComer_55

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the FL solitude. Sat in the low 30s, snow and windy this past weekend and never even got chilled. Dead quiet too.

Jhoff041

FNG
I've worn cheaper Cabela's silent hide insulated bibs and jacket over FL base layers the last 2 years and it's worked great for the tree stand. Temps into upper 20s core was warm hands and feet only thing cold. Found my next gear upgrades.

I'm strictly a stillhunter in the NE for whitetails, and I stillhunt, and glass/stalk out west. I have zero experience sitting in a treestand all day, so can't speak to that. I've had two seasons with the Vellus coat and pants, and love em. I don't have anything negative to say about them. Always warm, dry and quiet. For early season, I have the Dalibor coat and pants. Very satisfied with them, also. Only negative with them is that Kryptek stopped putting in the pit zips.

I also still wear my Woolrich Pa. tuxedo coat and Johnson green woolies when it's single digits.

ephul

FNG
I use a wool base layer, fleece mid layer, and a heavy coat and bibs on the outside. Sitting in a treestand in the teens really isn't an issue. Your base and mid layer are essential.

fey

FNG
I'm strictly a stillhunter in the NE for whitetails, and I stillhunt, and glass/stalk out west. I have zero experience sitting in a treestand all day, so can't speak to that. I've had two seasons with the Vellus coat and pants, and love em. I don't have anything negative to say about them. Always warm, dry and quiet. For early season, I have the Dalibor coat and pants. Very satisfied with them, also. Only negative with them is that Kryptek stopped putting in the pit zips.

I also still wear my Woolrich Pa. tuxedo coat and Johnson green woolies when it's single digits.
Are you able to comment on the fit of the Vellus? Looks like I should be a medium in the pants (typically size 32) and want to make sure there's room for a base layer and slim fleece pants under them when it gets especially cold.

Are you able to comment on the fit of the Vellus? Looks like I should be a medium in the pants (typically size 32) and want to make sure there's room for a base layer and slim fleece pants under them when it gets especially cold.
For the pants, I ordered my straight size. I can easily wear a pair of BDU pants or medium merinos underneath. Maybe both, but haven't tried that.

The jacket I ordered 1 size larger so I could layer with their excellent Kratos Primaloft packable jacket and/or a heavyweight wool shirt, if need be, and have plenty of room without binding.

Having said that, bear in mind, I am a stillhunter. Even though I'm moving slow, I am moving and maintaining/generating body heat. With the Vellus line, I haven't really found the need to layer yet in temps to the low 20s. YMMV.

Last edited:
Reactions: fey

Titan_Bow

WKR
I've got 3 seasons now in the Kryptek Vellus and I love it. Initially, when I first got it, I felt the jacket was a little noisy when you put your hands in the pockets, but that definitely went away as it got worn in a little. I guess its the waterproof layer inside the fleece. Anyways, its been a really good set for me. I primarily use it for later season deer, elk and rabbit hunting. Its quiet, waterproof, windproof, and when layered with merino and mid layers, has kept me warm in single digit and teens weather. Another benefit, is you can probably find it on sale at some point, so its most likely going to be cheaper than FL or Sitka, for a comparable set.