Outfitter canceled $9500 elk hunt 25 July. Thoughts on 2023 outfitters?

Fartface

FNG
This fall is looking pretty poor and I am asking for leads for 2023 archery elk outfitters which will be able to provide a tag or hunt units which a tag can be obtained OTC, or I should be able to draw a tag. My budget is $10k.

This is the first year I have every booked a guided elk hunt. Boy was I wrong. I placed a $3000 deposit over 12 months ago, and I called the outfitter up 25 July, to get any last minute details and he tells me my hunt is canceled because he no longer has ranch access. I really needed this hunt for my sanity. I am a combat veteran with a service connected disability for ringing in my ears due to multiple IED detonations on my vehicle. I personally disarmed 198 explosive devices as a Navy EOD Tech Team Leader and was awarded a Bronze Star with V from General Mattis USMC.

I have bow hunted since 2005 DIY on public land and been successful with deer, elk, bear, cougar. I typically ultra light weight back pack hunt alone with a bivy and enjoy being cold, tired, and hungry for 10 days. I now have kids age 2 and 5, so I scout less and less, and as a result my success has decreased.

I am ready to regroup, and look to 2023 archery elk. I would like first hand recommendations for an outfitter based on the following criteria.
  • physically demanding hunt
  • minimal interaction with other hunters
  • hunts an area with OTC tags or can provide a tag
  • guide has multiple years hunting experience with clients in the area
  • guide knows how to call elk.
  • personal preference would be to multi day overnight hunt with a ultra light pack or a drop camp
  • unguided drop camps may also be ok because it removes the unknown variable of the competence of the guide.
  • budget $10k
  • Preference points Colorado 10 pts; Montana 3pts, Wyoming 1pt;
  • I do not like horses. I am happy to meet them at camp, but I dont like to ride.

OP
Fartface

Fartface

FNG
To follow up, since the Utah outfitter canceled my hunt the month before season opened I had a to scramble to get a tag. I booked a self guided Idaho hunt in my normal hunting area. The outfitter was to provide a tag, lodging, meals, and meat pack out. He ran my credit card and he has not responded to any emails in the past two weeks. WTF is going on with outfitters?

Gila

WKR
You should be able to buy a great hunt for that price in New Mexico. Hunt elk in the Gila or the SACS in the South, and you will have a hunt to remember. I am DIY (so far) so I can’t really recommend any outfitters but these two do alot of business down here. You can try A3 Trophy hunts or Compass West. Who knows, you might get lucky and someone canceled at the last minute for this year:

OP
Fartface

Fartface

FNG
I was able to get a $3500 refund for my canceled hunt. But I also put in for points only for Colorado, Montana, and Wyoming and didn’t buy an OTC elk tag for Idaho when they went on sale based because I had a hunt lined up with an outfitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donjuan

WKR
Thank you for your service and I hope you can find some peace (and a bull) in the mountains

Dos XX

WKR
I was able to get a $3500 refund for my canceled hunt. But I also put in for points only for Colorado, Montana, and Wyoming and didn’t buy an OTC elk tag for Idaho when they went on sale based because I had a hunt lined up with an outfitter.

So, the outfitter cancelled a 9K hunt and only refunded you $3500? What was his reason for not giving you a full refund? If he cancelled it, that would be a hard pill for me to swallow.

Also, thank you for your service, sir.

Last edited:

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for your service. Can't help you with an outfitter because last year I sent a down payment of 1500 to an outfitter that took eveyone's money and left the state. That was the first time ever trying an outfitter and I'll just continue to go DIY.

sneaky

"DADDY"

There's tags available now in Idaho first come first served in a handful of zones. These tags are leftovers for a reason.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
OP-your handle brings me back to being an 11 year old!

I hope you pursue a full refund for the outfitted hunt. Semper Fi Brother-hope you have a great hunt this fall.

OP
Fartface

Fartface

FNG
The $3500 was my deposit and full amount I paid. So as far as cash; I am even, just lost opportunity to plan a hunt for 2022. Now looking to 2023. I pretty much don’t care how big a bull I kill. My favorite part and biggest is the split second after the arrow is released and before it hits. Second favorite part is finding the animal at the end of a really poor blood trail. If you have done it you know what I mean.
74f9ee9bb7ab3c647595d86ab5a17c64.jpg

Pic for credibility

snvts82

FNG
Try compass west in NM. I have not booked with them but talked with them last year and vetted a bunch of their references successful and non successful hunters. Your price range should be about right their with one of their landowner tags. They have a ton a videos online as well. Seem to put down some quality animals

Thanks for your service,I am an outfitter and have been in the business for 30 years,mostly big Whitetail in the Midwest and Canada.If you ever have a itch for a whitetail or black bear in Canada I can help you out with that.Those leftover tags in Idaho may be just your style,some of that part of the country is straight up and down.Put on your pack and go hunting. Great therapy for a service man as yourself.By the way my heroes wear uniforms but not damn ball uniforms.

WRO

WKR
You should be able to buy a great hunt for that price in New Mexico. Hunt elk in the Gila or the SACS in the South, and you will have a hunt to remember. I am DIY (so far) so I can’t really recommend any outfitters but these two do alot of business down here. You can try A3 Trophy hunts or Compass West. Who knows, you might get lucky and someone canceled at the last minute for this year:

I'd be really leery if a3, I've had a couple buddies that have had really shitty hunts with them.

I'd call Jeff Lester with hunthard or Keith Williams with Arizona pro outfitters. Both are legit and have great lo tags you can get for NM if you don't draw in the guided draw. You'll have opportunities at bigger bulls realistically than at your point levels in other states.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

mcr-85

WKR
Nothing to add on outfitters. I have never used one. I just wanted to thank you for your service. It is appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Hntelk

FNG
Look up hunting fool they have some landowner tags in New Mexico, archery, muzzleloader and rifle. You can DIY or hire an outfitter to help you, I am sure Garth /hunting fool has some recommendations for an outfitter that would guide you if you have the tag.

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
Call Epic outdoors, and talk to any of the guys there. They will have a list of very good outfitters across the west, and will know who has cancellations this year. That will be a far quicker process than trying to hunt down each individual outfitter. You can bet their endorsement is good too, so you will have to do less due diligence.

Thank you for your service, and good luck.