Outfitter Help

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for advice on an elk hunt for 2018 (I know we are a little behind the 8 ball on this one).

We have 4 or 5 guys total. My 70 yr old father with some mobility issues (new hip next week). He just can’t hike 5-6 miles a day any more and I doubt a horse is a good idea. Also in the group is my dad’s college buddy and son who are in good shape but are on a tighter budget.

We have no points so will be looking at landowner tags or OTC hunts.

My dad and I have been on multiple hunts and he has yet to harvest an elk. Therefore high opportunity is pretty important to my dad. The other guys have been on 1 or 2 self guided hunts and have yet to see an elk.

I think the ideal situation would be an outfitter that can cater to both a high end/private land 1 on 1 hunt and a more standard 2 on 1 hunt out of the same lodge or spike camp. We have been focusing most of our research on Idaho but are open to any state.

I’m not sure if anything like that exists, but I’d appreciate any recommendations. Average budget is $6000 per guy including license, with exceptions for my dad. We are talking with a couple places, but they can only cater to either one or another type of experience.

Also I know this isn’t the best forum for elk guide info (most people here seem to just focus on the elk) so if anyone can suggest another place I should look, I’d appreciate a PM.

Thanks in advance!

WRO

WKR
I'd call john coles in Oregon, he's got what your looking for with a pretty good success rate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Diamond D or a backcountry lodge hunt in Idaho seems like a solid possibility. It's remote enough in November that Dad could hunt near the lodge and the more spry guys could get after it further with horses if needed. They have trophy mule deer hunting and average elk hunting, with an occasional big bull, in November. That's going to be the case with many late season OTC Idaho lodge hunts.

You want a place that's remote enough or has private land so your dad can be close to the lodge without losing hunting quality obviously. Flying in helps with that.

Late season just seems like it would be easier because the game are lower. Private land might be more of a slam dunk though in certain cases. There are probably other Western states with more big ranches that would have a nice private and possibly more remote backcountry combo.

OP
B

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the replies. I have reached out to them all to check on availability and learn more about them!

Keep them coming!

gauge

Lil-Rokslider
thehuntingcompany.com

You can't go wrong with these guys. One of the best in the business, IMO. I have been with them when I first got into elk hunting and took my wife on a cow hunt. I hunt DIY now so I don't know their cost these days. I would say they are a little bit higher than 6000 but that was our hunt cost years back. Doesn't cost to call them. Good luck.

Sako76

WKR
Try to find a Colorado Outfitter who hunts in the northwest part of the state (units 12, 13, 4, 301/3). Second and third combined seasons OTC for elk. Good luck.

OP
B

blutooth

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to thank everyone for the comments and PMs. We contacted all of them, talked to references, and worked through schedules. We found an outfitter that fit our dates through Premier Hunting Adventures (Diamond D was a close second but their only availability was early November and we preferred an October hunt due to schedules). We will be hunting 2nd rifle with Rugged Rack Outfitters out of Hotchkiss, CO.

Thanks again, before I reached out to you guys we were scrambling!

Rebel73

FNG
Does not look like there’s been much going on in this thread for a while. But I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with Adams Lodge Outfitters operating in GMU 24. Thinking about a first rifle drop camp for fall 2020.
Thanks.

Looking for advice on an elk hunt for 2018 (I know we are a little behind the 8 ball on this one).

We have 4 or 5 guys total. My 70 yr old father with some mobility issues (new hip next week). He just can’t hike 5-6 miles a day any more and I doubt a horse is a good idea. Also in the group is my dad’s college buddy and son who are in good shape but are on a tighter budget.

We have no points so will be looking at landowner tags or OTC hunts.

My dad and I have been on multiple hunts and he has yet to harvest an elk. Therefore high opportunity is pretty important to my dad. The other guys have been on 1 or 2 self guided hunts and have yet to see an elk.

I think the ideal situation would be an outfitter that can cater to both a high end/private land 1 on 1 hunt and a more standard 2 on 1 hunt out of the same lodge or spike camp. We have been focusing most of our research on Idaho but are open to any state.

I’m not sure if anything like that exists, but I’d appreciate any recommendations. Average budget is $6000 per guy including license, with exceptions for my dad. We are talking with a couple places, but they can only cater to either one or another type of experience.

Also I know this isn’t the best forum for elk guide info (most people here seem to just focus on the elk) so if anyone can suggest another place I should look, I’d appreciate a PM.

Thanks in advance!

How'd you make out with Rugged Rack? Looking at them for 2021 1st Rifle.

Josh