Outfitter recommendation for Newfoundland moose

bgbuck153

Lil-Rokslider
4 of us are wanting to go in 2022. Ive contacted Portland outfitters but looking for people that have hunted with them or suggestions on another. We’d be driving from PA.
A couple of us love hunting with flintlocks but we wouldn’t be able to take the blackpowder across the border or on the ferry so has anyone ever bought BP in Newfoundland? Does it rain a lot there?
Also considering taking my 16 year old daughter. Does anyone know of a place that’s do a father/daughter hunt where the kid would be discounted? I couldn’t swing 2 full price hunts so my other option is pay fir her hunt snd I pay as a guest and enjoy watching her.

The only bad review I ever heard of a NL outfitter is Gander River. Every other outfitter has rave reviews. and it rains there most every day. Very wet island.
The daughter thing, you just need to decide if you want a road hunt, or remote fly in hunt.

Paradox

FNG
I would absolutely NOT hunt with Mountain Top Outfitters, Art Ryan. I can give you details but it was the worst outfitted hunt ever!

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Effords did everything they said they would and more. Weather didnt make things easy. But everything in their control exceeded my expectations.

My nephew and I hunted with A1 Hunts Twin Lakes sept. 2021. I'm booking with them again for 2023. Great accommodations, outstanding meals. The guides were great and they were meticulous about caring for the meat. It was an all-around great experience and I highly recommend them.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted with Portland creek this past September. It was a good time. 6 out of 7 of us killed. 7th guy lost one. 2 bow, 4 gun. It rains there a lot. Also be aware weather can affect the bush flight into their camps. We got in 2 days late. But still saw enty of moose. Portland is all fly in hunts. I would avoid drive in road hunts. You will be competing with the locals.

PA Hunter

WKR
4 of us are wanting to go in 2022. Ive contacted Portland outfitters but looking for people that have hunted with them or suggestions on another. We’d be driving from PA.
A couple of us love hunting with flintlocks but we wouldn’t be able to take the blackpowder across the border or on the ferry so has anyone ever bought BP in Newfoundland? Does it rain a lot there?
Also considering taking my 16 year old daughter. Does anyone know of a place that’s do a father/daughter hunt where the kid would be discounted? I couldn’t swing 2 full price hunts so my other option is pay fir her hunt snd I pay as a guest and enjoy watching her.
I drive to Newfoundland pretty much every other year from PA moose hunting. Yes it can rain allot and you would have to be real careful with black powder.

You can call me if you want I like Roberts Outfitting Deer Lake Newfoundland but like anything else each outfitter usually has multiple camps and each camp is completely different,
Also only hunt the rut don’t let any outfitter talk you into just any week or you may have an uneventful trip. Don’t forget they want to book every week so they will sell you the world.

OP
B

bgbuck153

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I’m sending some PM’s to a couple of you

Last edited:

DaHardy

FNG
I drive to Newfoundland pretty much every other year from PA moose hunting. Yes it can rain allot and you would have to be real careful with black powder.

You can call me if you want I like Roberts Outfitting Deer Lake Newfoundland but like anything else each outfitter usually has multiple camps and each camp is completely different,
Also only hunt the rut don’t let any outfitter talk you into just any week or you may have an uneventful trip. Don’t forget they want to book every week so they will sell you the world.
My group is going to Robert's this fall, Sept 18-24. Rex Lake. 3 guns 2 bows. Where do those dates fall rut wise? Any helpful info or suggestions? I've seen very mixed reviews on the processing quality. Thanks!