Outfitter Recommendation

Spyder

FNG
Looking to book an Elk hunting trip, preferably archery. I am leaning toward New Mexico, but am completely open to any ideas. I have never booked a trip with an outfitter, and the choices are somewhat overwhelming. I’ve been elk hunting once in my life, so do not need to 350+ bull or anything. Just looking for a good trip, with a decent chance of killing a good bull. I would love to be able to hunt in 2021. I would appreciate any advice you guys might have. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forest

WKR
Are you willing to buy a landowner tag?? If so better think seriously how much you are willing to spend on one plus the outfitter fees. That will narrow down your search quite a bit. No otc tags in NM but also no points so could draw anything. If unsuccessful you can buy a landowner tag but the good ones are $$$$

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

I have been looking at Bighorn Outfitters in Wyoming for a while - I was going to ask for information about them from the members here but haven't gotten around to it. You could check out their website. I would love to do their mule deer/elk combo - unless they are not a good option!

Wapiti1

WKR
Budget will determine a lot and likely which state. Price doesn't necessarily determine quality of the hunt, but tends to speak to size of potential animals. A $5000 hunt can be just as fun with lots of encounters, but you won't have the same top end animals as a $10,000 hunt, generally speaking.

Compass West is one that I would contact. I have hunted with them and they are a solid outfit. They hunt in NM units 30, 34, 36 and southern CO. So, hunts to fit a couple of price ranges.

Allout in CO is another that is good and offers several options.

These are a couple I know of, there are many other good ones.

Jeremy

OP
Spyder

Spyder

FNG
Thanks for the replies guys, I’m fairly open when it comes to budget. I would rather be closer to $5K than $10K and do understand the difference. One reason I was looking at NM is the draw system and the chance to get a decent tag though an outfitter. I realize the odds are still low, but definitely better than applying against someone with 15-18 points in one of the other states. Montana, Idaho and Colorado are definitely not out of the question either. Just trying to start doing my homework and find some info on a good outfit. I always said when I retired from the Air Force I was going to go on an elk hunt. Well that was two years ago and still haven’t went. I’m in a spot now I think I can swing it. Thanks again for the comments.

FLAK

WKR
Congrats on retirement!! I have a BIL that just retired from the AF.
Thanks for your service and good luck on the hunt.

If you are not looking for a 350 bull I would avoid NM and focus on MT or CO. There are many great outfitters that you can draw a tag the first year and have a great elk hunting experience. My experience has been that the outfitters there are more service oriented because they look for and count on return clients whereas the NM guys don't as they know you won't draw a tag every year. I have had 20 yrs of great experiences in MT and CO and 3 very so so experiences in NM. I am not saying there are not good ones there but because of the draw situation there is a different attitude.

Units in NM, AZ, UT, WY that are known for 350 bulls are very difficult to draw even with an outfitter.

good luck and enjoy

OP
Spyder

Spyder

FNG
That actually doesn’t surprise me CAElkhunter. You wouldn’t happen to have a few recommendations for CO or MT would you.

wytx

WKR
Buy yourself a PP for Wyoming now and maybe draw a general tag for next year.
Some good but more affordable hunts on NF in general areas in Wyoming. Also so great back country experiences on a general tag as well for more $ on the NW side if you want the whole grizz, wolf and elk hunt experience.

I did alot of research the last couple of years on outfitters across many states, and CO and MT are definitely the ones to look at if you don't have a bunch of preference points. When you boil it down, the options are generally this:

Horseback trip to a base camp with wall tents, then horseback/backpack each morning to the hunting grounds. Public land, lower percentage of success. Emphasis on wilderness experience. Less expensive.

OR

Ranch hunt. Sleeping in bunkhouse or lodge. Maybe driving around in a truck or UTV and then glassing, or sitting on a watering hole. Private land, high percentage of success. Emphasis on success rate. More expensive.

Let me know which you are looking for and I can share some names from my research.

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m headed to New Mexico for my second time and I had a great time with the outfitter I used. I think any state that has a lottery system requires luck anyways unless they utilize preference points. I don’t care what state you hunt if the guide service cares about the clients then you will have a great experience but if you are just a number for that week then you won’t. Also someone can say stay away from outfitter xyz and the next person tell you opposite. You just have to do your research, figure out what you want and how much willing to spend and just go for it.

who is the guy in NM that you recommend and which unit?

In Colorado I have had great success with Sean Zele of High Desert Hunting Hunting company in Aguilar CO.
I have shot 2 nice Elk and an B&C Mule Deer. Three guys in late 20's that bust their asses for you.
In Montana my outfitter of 20 years where I had a great time just retired and sold out to a guy who I won't be using so I am looking in Montana for a new guy.

RO1459

FNG
Try Jeanne Horn with J Bar H Outfitters. You will need one preference point but she get results. She was named the outfitter of the year in Colorado a few years ago and has great guides. She is in the $5,000 range and hunts GMU 12.

Jaker_cc

WKR
Montana Trophy Outfitters is who I would call hands down. I’ve hunted with them twice and had shots at big bulls both times. Been into elk every day and the country is incredible. I’ve seen more big elk there with them the last two years than any other place I’ve ever been. Plus Forrest and Will are great guys and work hard to make sure you enjoy your hunt and get your chance.

As far as drawing a tag, I’ve pulled it every year that I’ve put in for it, I’m sure one day that won’t be the case but it’s not a every 4 year general tag like Wyoming.

Shoot me a PM if you would like more details.

GKWMontana

Lil-Rokslider
Another one to check into is “Iron Wheel Outfitters” in Whitehall. It’s private land and they consistently kill good bulls. They also have an incredible cat hunting business.

Jaker_cc

WKR
Another one to check into is “Iron Wheel Outfitters” in Whitehall. It’s private land and they consistently kill good bulls. They also have an incredible cat hunting business.

Iron Wheel has some bullshit rules man. $1000 a miss, $1500 extra on top of the hunt fee if you kill a bull. I hunted with the old man before Scott took over, he was a blowhard. Scott is a good guy, but some of those policies would never get my business

OP
Spyder

Spyder

FNG
Thanks again for all the replies, there is a lot of information to look though. I appreciate it.

KHNC

WKR
Looks like MTO is 7500 for rifle elk and 10500 for combo hunt. Success rate looks very high tho. SW Montana. Plenty of elk and deer in that area. Also, mostly all private land hunts. Close to a sure thing with rifle it appears.