Outfitter Recommendation

4dcfries

FNG
Looking to book an Elk hunting trip, preferably archery. I am leaning toward New Mexico, but am completely open to any ideas. I have never booked a trip with an outfitter, and the choices are somewhat overwhelming. I’ve been elk hunting once in my life, so do not need to 350+ bull or anything. Just looking for a good trip, with a decent chance of killing a good bull. I would love to be able to hunt in 2021. I would appreciate any advice you guys might have. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mark Shutey...Stockton outfitters out of Butte Montana. I've used a number of outfitters and this guy was the bomb. Great camp, good location and even more crazy...a professional chef in camp. it is truly the best food in the state. I saw plenty of elk every day and put mine down on day two. If you listen to him and take the advice to heart you will see elk and get your shot...what more could you ask.

PA Hunter

WKR
My favorite place to Elk hunt is in the Thorofare of Wyoming google it. You will be in the Wilderness area with plenty of grizzlies and an unbelievable hunting experience on a horseback hunt with no motorized anything for 30 miles. I did this hunt a few times and there are plenty of elk. Start buying preference points in Wyoming. The outfitter changed but it’s the same and it is now Constant Quest. I have done Colorado,Montana but this place is special.

Harveyb

FNG
In NM I would put in with NM Arrowhead Outfitters- Justin Medina. Hunts mainly in units 34 & 36. If you don’t draw there then apply in CO or MT. Tough to get an elk tag but there are lots of elk in the unit. Have hunted wit them for elk, antelope, oryx and deer. Good guides that know the area.

rlmmarine

WKR
Give nick a call at Gunnison outfitters in Co he has ranch depredation tags for a july rifle hunt in Saquache Co for 4500. Plenty of elk but smaller since they are still growing. Definatly a fun hunt and the meat is excellent do to summer grazing and not all hormoned up for the rut or being hunted
Further more where else are you going to shoot an elk in velvet legally20190715_121913.jpg20200729_112322.jpg20200729_112322.jpg

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
My favorite place to Elk hunt is in the Thorofare of Wyoming google it. You will be in the Wilderness area with plenty of grizzlies and an unbelievable hunting experience on a horseback hunt with no motorized anything for 30 miles. I did this hunt a few times and there are plenty of elk. Start buying preference points in Wyoming. The outfitter changed but it’s the same and it is now Constant Quest. I have done Colorado,Montana but this place is special.
I agree with your recommendation, the Thorofare is special. Buying preference points in other states(especially MT and CO) is also a good idea.

mabrams

FNG
I have been looking at Bighorn Outfitters in Wyoming for a while - I was going to ask for information about them from the members here but haven't gotten around to it. You could check out their website. I would love to do their mule deer/elk combo - unless they are not a good option!
I have hunted with these guys 3 times and you will love it. I have not hunted Elk with them YET, but when i draw it will be my first call. It is a great place, great food, guides will become friends and you will enjoy your time with them. Feel free to message me if you want more info.

I have hunted with these guys 3 times and you will love it. I have not hunted Elk with them YET, but when i draw it will be my first call. It is a great place, great food, guides will become friends and you will enjoy your time with them. Feel free to message me if you want more info.

They look great. Will have to keep them on my file, but it's going to be a few years before I have enough points!

Taken from their website:

"Wyoming Elk Hunting Preference Points

All of Wyoming’s elk tags are distributed based on a preference point system. Due to the influx of hunter applications in the paster several years, the point requirement will increase each year. The amount of the increase varies depending on which area we’re looking at. Our private land hunt in area 34 will require roughly 5 points for 2021, in the special (high price) draw. Area 35 type 1 (rifle or late archery) will take a minimum of 6 points in the special draw. The area 35 type 9 (archery only) should take a minimum of 5 points in the special draw. Area 45 type 1, may take as many as 11 points and the type 9 license should take 10. These requirements are estimates based on the point creep over the past 3 years and are our best guess at the points required, there is no way to know for sure what the outcome will be."

GatorMike

FNG
Looking to book an Elk hunting trip, preferably archery. I am leaning toward New Mexico, but am completely open to any ideas. I have never booked a trip with an outfitter, and the choices are somewhat overwhelming. I’ve been elk hunting once in my life, so do not need to 350+ bull or anything. Just looking for a good trip, with a decent chance of killing a good bull. I would love to be able to hunt in 2021. I would appreciate any advice you guys might have. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can tell you who NOT to use...Valdez Northern New Mexico Hunting Adventures.....total scam...just got home today...owner has leases on properties that have little to no Elk at all, says he owns a lodge but you end up sleeping in a meth lab trailer full of mold, saw 3 elk in 6 days during the rut...every outfitter around us was dropping bulls...we had zero opportunity....in Mora NM unit 52....would not recommend