outfitter recommendations

Hoot

WKR
I have a friend that asked me yesterday, a little late in the game I know, about an outfitted hunt for him, his dad, and his nephew. This would be a rifle hunt, his dad is older and they are not in the greatest shape so that is a factor, and they'd like nice cabin/accommodations, they are open to like 3-7k per person, and are open to CO, NM, really anywhere where they could get a tag and have a nice hunt with a decent chance at bulls.

I am more of a DIY and archery hunter, so I am not sure where to begin, anyone have any starting suggestions?

I'm not an expert, but I think in general the type of hunt you are describing would be outfitted, and the best outiftters are usually booked by now for 2021. That being said, I would search for guide and outfitter listings in the states you're interested in and starting making calls and sending emails. Also search for their pages on FB or Instagram to see if they are fully booked or have openings.

Good luck!

wavygravy

FNG
Call around and asked to be placed on the waitlist for any cancellations. It worked for me in 2020, but yea all the good ones are already booked for this year and next.

KHNC

WKR
Avoid the panhandle of Idaho and NW Montana. No matter how good the outfitter you find makes it sound. CO is probably your only hope of finding a tag and a hunt for this season. Call Dan Ardrey in Eastern Colorado for an easy (physically) elk hunt. OTC tags . 719 439 4759

Wapiti1

WKR
Call Shoshone Wilderness Adventures. They had a couple in a recent flyer for CO and NM.

Jeremy

Brooks

WKR
Call some outfitters in NM they will be buying landowner tags from landowners in June and will have hunts available. Now is the time to call because after the draw is announced in late April guys who didn’t draw will be looking hard for NM outfitters who have tags and hunts.

At this point if you want a hunt that fits your requirements I think you should plan for 2022.... at the earliest.

tigb27

FNG
Land owner tag would be only option for NM its to late to put in for draw. Land owner tag is also more expensive than drawing a tag threw an outfitter

BjornF16

WKR
Avoid the panhandle of Idaho and NW Montana. No matter how good the outfitter you find makes it sound. CO is probably your only hope of finding a tag and a hunt for this season. Call Dan Ardrey in Eastern Colorado for an easy (physically) elk hunt. OTC tags . 719 439 4759
What is the issue with NW Montana?

Great Bear Wilderness included?

KHNC

WKR
What is the issue with NW Montana?

Great Bear Wilderness included?
I dont know anything specifically about the Great Bear Wilderness. I can tell you that the majority of the public land in that part of the state is very low on elk populations. Deer as well. They have been devastated by wolves and excessive hunting pressure.

I dont know anything specifically about the Great Bear Wilderness. I can tell you that the majority of the public land in that part of the state is very low on elk populations. Deer as well. They have been devastated by wolves and excessive hunting pressure.
I asked our outfitter (3rd generation) his thoughts about wolves and their impact on deer and elk populations in the Bob.

"The wolf population is almost gone, compared to what it was 15 years ago. Elk numbers are currently on the “high” end according to the wildlife biologists, but yes, there are less populations of elk than there were twenty years ago. Every elk herd in the country can say the same thing though and that is due to more and more hunting pressure and an abundance of predators nationwide." He continued, "Wolf populations have decreased dramatically over the last 15 years in NW Montana and don’t have much of an impact anymore. They are almost an open season animal in Montana now and are hunted hard. Currently every person with a license is allowed to kill up to 5 wolves with any methods, hunting, trapping, etc. for an 8 month season."

Cabin or Lodge does not necessarily mean private land. I have hunted Montana out of Lodges for 20 + years all on public land. The outfitters lease or own Lodges that can sleep 6 - 8 people and have a cook. You drive out to your hunting area every morning. Unfortunately he retired and sold the business to someone I would not recommend.

KHNC

WKR
I asked our outfitter (3rd generation) his thoughts about wolves and their impact on deer and elk populations in the Bob.

"The wolf population is almost gone, compared to what it was 15 years ago. Elk numbers are currently on the “high” end according to the wildlife biologists, but yes, there are less populations of elk than there were twenty years ago. Every elk herd in the country can say the same thing though and that is due to more and more hunting pressure and an abundance of predators nationwide." He continued, "Wolf populations have decreased dramatically over the last 15 years in NW Montana and don’t have much of an impact anymore. They are almost an open season animal in Montana now and are hunted hard. Currently every person with a license is allowed to kill up to 5 wolves with any methods, hunting, trapping, etc. for an 8 month season."
First i have EVER heard this statement regarding wolves in NW Montana or Idaho border areas around there. I can tell you first hand that during the 2018 season, I saw wolf tracks ALL OVER the trout creek Montana areas we were hunting. I would have a hard time believing the wolf population is having less of an impact. In fact, that sounds like straight up BS to me. I would love to see some concrete evidence to that statement.

KHNC

WKR
Just did an extension search on the GOOGLE. I did not find a single link saying the wolf population had decreased the Great Bear Wilderness. Actually , I found several posts stating the wolves and grizzlies were thick due to the proximity to GNP. Also, did not turn up anything confirming an increase in the elk population in recent years. Quite the opposite was true. I would be sure to talk to SEVERAL references before booking an elk hunt in that area. Couldnt find anything on an outfitter with the name of 3rd Generation for Montana.

KHNC

WKR

Article from Jan 2021 stating highest wolf density in Montana occurs in the North West portion of the state. Estimated 850 animals. That is just a guess, likely much higher. Hardly a decrease from 15 years ago. They were delisted when the state determined 1000 wolves were alive in the state.

WRO

WKR
Oregon should really be on your list, easy LOP tags. I'd call Cody Coles or Walker Powell..

I can send you numbers if you'd like. You're realsitcally looking at bulls up to about 320 on the top end most years.

WRO

WKR
I thought most LOP tags in Oregon tried to charge $9-10K ?
No, Cody's hunts are like 6500, walker is in that 5k range with outfitter tags.

The only really expensive tags are for the big three, the rest are pretty inexpensive..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk