Outfitter/Resident for Wyoming Unit 98

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any outfitter or licensed resident referrals for unit 98 in Wyoming? I have a group of 3 that put in for the limited tag in this unit with enough points we should draw. I've contacted Thompson and Big Sandy and am waiting for more info. Are there any other outfitters or willing residents with proper licenses in the area?

We researched the unit and knew it would be a hard hunt being non-residents but thought we would try it anyways. From what I found through research and talking to people who have hunted the unit our odds will increase drastically if we are able access the wilderness area.

Thanks

I don’t know how many points it takes to draw that area but regardless you should do what you can to put an elk tag to good use. But you’re late in the game for an outfitter. There are lots of places where elk don’t come down from wilderness until after the regular hunting season. If you’ve found that that’s the case you best get on the phone all day until you line something up. Hopefully this thread will give you some leads from personal experience because your time to do your own research by call outfitters and then calling references is pretty short. Your chances of finding a resident to get his resident license and take his time during hunting season to guide you or even hunt with you isn’t good at all so focus on an outfitter. Good luck man!

go_deep

WKR
If there's 3 of you, you need 2 residents. 1 resident can only take 2 NR's.
You may want to consider changing your app.

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I don’t know how many points it takes to draw that area but regardless you should do what you can to put an elk tag to good use. But you’re late in the game for an outfitter. There are lots of places where elk don’t come down from wilderness until after the regular hunting season. If you’ve found that that’s the case you best get on the phone all day until you line something up. Hopefully this thread will give you some leads from personal experience because your time to do your own research by call outfitters and then calling references is pretty short. Your chances of finding a resident to get his resident license and take his time during hunting season to guide you or even hunt with you isn’t good at all so focus on an outfitter. Good luck man!
And to add to Indian Summer's great reply: It's also worth remembering that it's against the law for a resident to take any form of payment or favor for taking a NR hunting in a wilderness area. Anyone worth risking their hunting privileges to take you isn't someone you want to be hunting with anyway.

OP
Josh86

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply, I have an outfitter that says they have availability, but its pricey. I thought maybe there's a resident that only hunts the general season that would be willing to go out in the field either before after the general and trade for a Kansas whitetail/turkey/waterfowl hunt. (not sure on the legality of trading hunts) I spoke with a biologist before we put in for the draw and he said our odds of killing elk are pretty good on the national forest/BLM ground the last couple weeks of Oct. after the general season closes. We'll probably go that route but taking horses into the backcountry during the rut is tempting. Just trying to weigh our options.

jmez

WKR
I wasn't aware you could change an app. I thought you could only cancel them.

Trading hunts is considered compensation.

Thanks for the reply, I have an outfitter that says they have availability, but its pricey. I thought maybe there's a resident that only hunts the general season that would be willing to go out in the field either before after the general and trade for a Kansas whitetail/turkey/waterfowl hunt. (not sure on the legality of trading hunts) I spoke with a biologist before we put in for the draw and he said our odds of killing elk are pretty good on the national forest/BLM ground the last couple weeks of Oct. after the general season closes. We'll probably go that route but taking horses into the backcountry during the rut is tempting. Just trying to weigh our options.
After the general season? Are you sure that’s not cows only? How much is pricey? If it’s not over $6500 or $6900 that’s not pricey for a pack in wilderness hunt. There’s a LOT of work involved before you get there and after you leave.

As far as elk coming down in late October… crap shoot. Totally weather dependent. It might be mid November or even December. Look at bison hunt on the NWR. They haven’t been showing up until after the December season the past few years.

OP
Josh86

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
After the general season? Are you sure that’s not cows only? How much is pricey? If it’s not over $6500 or $6900 that’s not pricey for a pack in wilderness hunt. There’s a LOT of work involved before you get there and after you leave.

As far as elk coming down in late October… crap shoot. Totally weather dependent. It might be mid November or even December. Look at bison hunt on the NWR. They haven’t been showing up until after the December season the past few years.
The general season closes on Oct. 15 our limited type 1 tag will be good until Oct. 31st. It's not pricey compared to other elk outfitters, its just hard to justify an extra $21,000 for 3 guys to have a little higher probability of taking an animal.

I've talked to a few people that have hunted the same tag, not all were successful but they all saw elk outside of the wilderness, and the biologist said the elk may not be down in the flat country by the end of October but a lot stage up in the mountains just below the wilderness area. I guess we'll take our chances and pray for snow and if it doesn't snow just hard hard and hope luck is on our side.

That doesn’t sound so bad. I see about your tag. That’s good. That’s why it’s limited so I’d be confident. Hunt as high as you can for starters. Gotta check it out. If there are any large tracts of private land don’t forget to see what’s going on behind them. Definitely hunt to the last day you can there. Good luck and don’t forget to give us a hunt report.

Thover

FNG
My neighbors shot a couple nice bulls out of there last season. Brought camp in with horses. That’s probably where I’m headed this year but I don’t know enough about the area to feel good about giving someone pointers.

Mojave

WKR
I thought Wyoming was one of those states that didn't allow residents to do swap hunts in exchange for guiding.

Maybe I am wrong, and worth looking into.

The general season closes on Oct. 15 our limited type 1 tag will be good until Oct. 31st. It's not pricey compared to other elk outfitters, its just hard to justify an extra $21,000 for 3 guys to have a little higher probability of taking an animal.

I've talked to a few people that have hunted the same tag, not all were successful but they all saw elk outside of the wilderness, and the biologist said the elk may not be down in the flat country by the end of October but a lot stage up in the mountains just below the wilderness area. I guess we'll take our chances and pray for snow and if it doesn't snow just hard hard and hope luck is on our side.
What did you end up doing and how did it go?