Outfitter suggestions for 2019 or 2020 Moose Hunt

Dries

WKR
Me, Dad, and a friend of ours did New Found land last year. It was a fly in Helicopter hunt and we all harvested a Moose over 40 inch my dads was 43 mine was 48 and our friends was 46. We shipped our moose home VIA the transport service and picked it up in Detroit. It was less than 10 k for the hunt, proccessing of the moose and shipping it to Detroit.

bwlacy

WKR
Me, Dad, and a friend of ours did New Found land last year. It was a fly in Helicopter hunt and we all harvested a Moose over 40 inch my dads was 43 mine was 48 and our friends was 46. We shipped our moose home VIA the transport service and picked it up in Detroit. It was less than 10 k for the hunt, proccessing of the moose and shipping it to Detroit.

Who did you hunt with? My brother and I are interested in NF in 2020 and looking at all options.

Thanks for any info.

Dries

WKR
Who did you hunt with? My brother and I are interested in NF in 2020 and looking at all options.

Thanks for any info.

We went with Next Ridge Outfitting. We were done hunting by the second day and it is a 2 on 1 hunt. We seen bigger bulls than we actually got there also. There is a lot of potential in their area for Trophy Moose. If you watch Jim Shockey Newfoundland hunts for him and Eva it was at Next Ridge Outfitting. We had a blast there.

Great to see another person from Zeeland on here!! I am flying out on Saturday morning to Patey & Sons for a week in the moose bogs of Newfoundland. I am going to go the same route you did with picking the meat up at DTW after being shipped on a reefer. Out of curiosity, what did you end up paying for the freight service and what sort of time frame am I looking at for transit time? Looking forward to this adventure!!

Dries

WKR
Great to see another person from Zeeland on here!! I am flying out on Saturday morning to Patey & Sons for a week in the moose bogs of Newfoundland. I am going to go the same route you did with picking the meat up at DTW after being shipped on a reefer. Out of curiosity, what did you end up paying for the freight service and what sort of time frame am I looking at for transit time? Looking forward to this adventure!!

If I remember correctly it was less than $500 but I can’t remember exactly but they also shipped the horns and capes to us also.
We got ours back the first part of December.
I loved Hunting the Rock!! We did lots of walking in their bogs.
Enjoy the Adventure and the God created Nature!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mooster

WKR
Newfoundland is probably the price point mentioned using a guide. I'd think 30-40" is the realistic trophy moose hunt in NF.

Meat costs for me last year were about $1400 to process & ship a total of 350 lbs. moose & bou back from Deer Lake to Atlanta area via a consolidated refrigerated truck organized by the processor. So add that to your budget if your a fly-in hunter.

PA Hunter

WKR
My biggest Newfoundland moose was 46 1/2 the other two were 6 pointers no paddles. Good luck trying to get a 50 inches there. If you want a meat hunt great place to go allot of moose. I would look for an outfitter who caters to archers most do not. Everyone I hunted with that brought a bow had their guide carry their rifle also and the bow was never used.

Dries

WKR

How did your hunt go??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA Hunter

WKR
I would suggest Newfoundland to you and if you can drive that is even better. I hunt Newfoundland every other year and I recommend always driving it avoids allot of problems like you showing up without your gear or rifle. Saw that happen to two hunters. Additionally I would only book the rut not what some outfitter has left trying to fill. Hell of allot of moose on Newfoundland bring your rifle along just in case you can’t get one in bow range.

mcseal2

WKR
2 of us went to AK last year and we spent about 8k each. This included flights, travel, food, and all other expenses except gear we bought for the trip. We went with a transporter unguided. We also donated a lot of our meat instead of shipping it all home. The transporter had freezer space for out loins and tenderloins so we froze them and took them home in the tote we hauled our food up in. If we had taken more home we would have had to use a processor and have it shipped adding considerable expense. I work on a ranch and beef is part of my pay so it didn't make sense for me to go that route. The guy who got my meat was very thankful. He had family who couldn't hunt that he shares with. What I did bring home is excellent.

OXN939

WKR
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a 2019 or 2020 Archery Moose Hunt and looking for an outfitter.

Bowhunting a big bull Moose is at the top of my bucket list now so I'm reading through the threads here and looking at all my options. Any advise or ideas welcomed.

I a meat hunter so I want to get all/most of the meat back to Florida. I've heard they have a refrigerated cargo ship from NF that can bring the meat down the east coast.

I really would like a trophy size moose.

I'm also in my mid 50's and although I keep myself in decent shape but not trying to prove anything.

I don't mind paying a little more for the right outfitter.

I'm open to any ideas.

Thank you

Just make sure you do not go with Hidden Alaska Outfitters. Went with them in '17 and it was a horrible experience for all parties.

One legal game animal seen between three guys the entire trip. Miserable accommodations, even on a full priced guided trip. Poor provisioning and planning on the outfitter's part.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you'd like pictures or a more detailed description.

GatorMike

FNG
I was going to call you. Do you guys still have openings for 2019?
I am curious how your Newfoundland hunt has progressed, I am considering a 2020 trip from Florida and it is so difficult to gauge who is a good outfitter, how much meat shipping and taxidermy costs are because they all give varying prices?

OP
Kilboars

Kilboars

WKR
I am curious how your Newfoundland hunt has progressed, I am considering a 2020 trip from Florida and it is so difficult to gauge who is a good outfitter, how much meat shipping and taxidermy costs are because they all give varying prices?

I change it to a 2020 Alberta sanctuary hunt with Ryk Vesscher.

Elk guy

FNG
This is very doable if there is no guide involved... I'm saying outfitted with basic camp gear, food, and bush flights, but hunting purely on your own. If you bring your own gear and food its even more doable. You have to plan well and do your research.

Once you get a guide involved, you need to consider their time (premium during that time of year), expenses, and possibly twice the number of flights so I can't see this being possible with a guide for $10k.

I've never hunted moose outside of AK, but getting meat home isn't as terrible as people think... depending on your method. If Alaska Airlines flies to your home city its much easier than if they don't.
Actually I was just quoted a fly in diy price for 2023 from Papa bear adventures. They said to plan on 10k -12k. For 12k you could find a BC guided moose. 50" is close to the average size for around 12k. Its pricing most guys out of the hunting for moose including myself.