Outfitting An ATV For The Rocky Mountains, By Chas Carmichael

All great advice and easily over looked stuff as well. Thanks for the reminders sir. Complacency can be a b#%@h lol
Great information!

This time of year is when complacency bites hard! When I published the article I just had a rack failure on the rear and barely got it repaired, 2 weeks before season begins, for the last scouting trip this weekend! In the process made several improvements for secure bolted attachment instead of the friction lock-n-load Polaris system that is prone to failure.

In getting my camp trailer loaded and ready for a family scouting and camping trip this weekend, was very glad I checked and repacked the wheel bearings last night. One area I hunt regularly has that superfine powder dust and one wheel bearing was loaded with gunk - 20 minute repair. Parts were less than $25 to fix. Would hate for that to disintegrate on the way to camp this year - the $500 tow bill is nothing compared to a hard earned vacation day lost hunting and sitting in a repair shop waiting for repair!

FLAK

WKR
I will probably drag mine out to NM sooner or later. Was going to this coming season but decided to go to TX on a guided hunt. Maybe next year.
Anyway, I see NM requires that spark arrestor muffler. Is this a total muffler replacement at the dealer?

I will probably drag mine out to NM sooner or later. Was going to this coming season but decided to go to TX on a guided hunt. Maybe next year.
Anyway, I see NM requires that spark arrestor muffler. Is this a total muffler replacement at the dealer?

Most any factory muffler from probably the 90's or later is likely USFS spark arrestor approved unless it has been modified. If in doubt, run by a dealership and have them look at it in the parking lot to verify. On some older bikes it is as easy as looking inside and seeing screens or fins. Always best to make VERY sure, have seen several folks get nabbed for a ticket on ATVs or dirt bikes running big cans made for racing and not USFS approved. Have witnessed folks getting a warning for no registration but never seen the spark arrestor sin forgiven in the woods.

Here is an informative article I found that towards the end tells you how to inspect it yourself also: Spark Arrestor How-to

Some only offer electric start, it's good to have a kick or pull start option as well.

Excellent point. My Polaris only has electric start unless I spend $400 for the kit to add a pull-start. Similar to a spare tire, I keep a portable battery jumper kit in the truck for just this reason. If something dies I can at least walk (or send a buddy) back to the truck and bring it back to get off the hill with the machine.

Part of annual Spring (and again before hunting seasons) routine is to top off the jump starter kit and actually test it. If using one of these periodically, maybe once or twice a year, run it down to a low level then recharge it, prevents battery imprinting and extends life of the unit. I plug a small 12V-DC-110V-AC inverter into mine plugged into a shop trouble-light which drains it pretty quickly and safely.

Voyageur

WKR
Hello, Chas.
I enjoyed your article on outfitting an ATV.
I live in flat farm country but 90% of the time my ATV is ridden in rocky mountainous country, usually the Black Hills of SD or the panhandle of ID. I have a Honda Rancher with the stock factory tires. I'm always really careful when riding out west but even so am worried about flats caused by rocks and such. To date I've been fortunate.
As my tires age I'm looking to upgrade to a more durable tire but have no idea what direction to go. I haven't asked at the Honda shops around here as their experience is all with tires needed for ag land mud.
Can you recommend a good solid tire for my Rancher?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello, Chaz.
I enjoyed your article on outfitting an ATV.
I live in flat farm country but 90% of the time my ATV is ridden in rocky mountainous country, usually the Black Hills of SD or the panhandle of ID. I have a Honda Rancher with the stock factory tires. I'm always really careful when riding out west but even so am worried about flats caused by rocks and such. To date I've been fortunate.
As my tires age I'm looking to upgrade to a more durable tire but have no idea what direction to go. I haven't asked at the Honda shops around here as their experience is all with tires needed for ag land mud.
Can you recommend a good solid tire for my Rancher?
Thanks.

the Sedona Ripsaw tires have proven indestructible on my bike so far. 3,000 miles and still 70% tread left. Zero flats in 3 years. Buddy runs Big Horns. We ride together 80% of the time. His also are doing very well. Ripsaws are better in rocks it seems, big horns might be better for ag use.

Vikinger

FNG
Nice write up. You had my respect with your confession on the first year issues on the Polaris. We all live and learn. Lots of other good info here but one i'd second is hand guards. I grew up on dirt bikes in CO. Other than than helmet, gloves, and good moto boots, nothing has saved me from more injury than bark busters. I don't put the heavy duty ones on ATV's but good plastic covers prevent a lot of "small" but potentially debilitating injuries you mentioned.

fmyth

WKR
Nice article, Chas!

I'd love to take an ATV or SxS more often, but the biggest gripe I have with them is how loud they are. Do you know of any aftermarket parts, or mods, that are effective in quieting these machines down? I've seen some that claim to knock several decibels from the exhaust, but this doesn't seem like it's enough.
I have an ATV silencer on my Rhino and it is much quieter.