Outfitting on BLM/National Forest

Barnesc6

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody know how to obtain a map of what boundaries a given outfitter is allowed to guide on (BLM and/or National Forest)?

Marble

WKR
Go to the NF office. They have a guy there that runs then in each region.

Several years ago we had an issue with an outfitter. One trip to the office and that outfitter became downright pleasant.

OP
Barnesc6

Barnesc6

Lil-Rokslider
If asked will they give you boundaries of each outfitter, I’m looking to use the boundaries more so as locating sanctuaries animals may get pushed to because of less pressure

ericF

WKR
Depends on the office and how they are setup. At the one office we went to, they have a big map showing where the outfitters are and you are free to take pictures of that, but they don't have digital information or handouts to give you.

4ester

WKR
I didn’t know that outfitters had specific areas they had to stay in?

I do know that they had to have a use permit for their camp location and running a business on NF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
Where I hunt in CO, it was delineated by roadways. So it was pretty easy. But the lines can probably set up however.

Long story short, your info is at the NF office.

Bulldawg

WKR
There likely won’t be any “sanctuaries” that you will be able to pinpoint on a map with that data. Usually the outfitters boundaries but up to each other or they overlap, and typically most of all the land is permitted. The forest service doesn’t know which portion of the permitted area the outfitter is really using most they just know where their camps are. So while a nice thought I doubt you will get any real good information form a map of boundaries, you might get a little benefit by seeing where all the camps are at in the area, but those camps might not be used every year or they might not hunt anywhere near the camp might go several miles from camp to hunt.

Beendare

WKR
The FS is supposed to know exactly where their camp are and have it on a map.

I've been in some offices where they gladly give you that info.....other offices they outright lie to you and tell you they don't know...and wouldn't give it to you if they did.

My advice; Log the offices and names of FS employees that give you a hard time and send a letter or email to their superiors. These folks are essentially taxpayer funded public servants...and they should be helping not hindering us.

________

4ester

WKR
I emailed them and got in contact with the mapping guy. He sent me a file I can upload into google earth.