Over the Saddle Panniers

wyodan

WKR
What does everyone use when they need over the saddle panniers? I have one mule right now, hunting season is going, and I don't think I will get another mule prior to needing it for its job. I would like to make sure I have looked at all the good companies prior to making an order. Thanks.

I'm not a fan but for bulky items they are adequate. When you add weight then I think the foppy becomes a problem especially if things start clinking, banging and in general rattling. I have seen a green horse have a blowup over a popping lid on wood panniers. Silverware in a metal pot could trigger an all day event.

I have mannied on a saddle set up with 2" d-rings behind the cantle. With a little more effort, a set of canvas panniers can be made to be saddle handy.

Nomatter what you chose I would still use a lash cinch to minimize the flop in your journey. If you are starting out, pick up the book on packing from Back. It's entertaining with a lot of make do attached. Suprisingly the last copy I picked up was in an Exxon station in Dillon,Mt.

mntnguide

WKR
Mountain Ridge Gear makes some awesome quality stuff. I have his pack lite panniers...less than 4lbs for a full set, easy to roll up under rain coat on the back. I like that they ride much higher than traditional OTS panniers. They are different in using straps with opposing buckles so you can sling them over a pack saddle, or your riding saddle. Work great for me

BKehoe05

FNG
This is what I use to start horses with when packing. They last quite awhile and usually State Line Tack has them on sale for about $60. It fits over the saddle or can be added to cross bucks. They are inexpensive enough that if a horse has a meltdown and they get damaged I’m not out much money. The issue is there is no real cinch. It’s a 1” nylon strap that adjusts under their belly. I have one of those fake wool paint roller covers on it for a bit of padding and only lightly snug it up. I wouldn’t put more than about 60 lbs (30/30) in them but it works well for day trips and training rides. If you are going to really pack you need to consider Mountain Ridge Gear, Horseandmulegear.com, Outfitters Pack Station or the like.

I second Mountain Ridge Gear though. It’s tough and well constructed.

IMG_7399.jpeg

Procision Arms

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Have had really good luck with the mountain ridge gear meat panniers, works great with a pack saddle or riding saddle.

Don’t judge the lash cinch- we build pretty rifles, not pretty knots 😂

Attachments

• 60739F32-20A7-4858-A6E2-CECE37DC456B.jpeg
    60739F32-20A7-4858-A6E2-CECE37DC456B.jpeg
    701.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 7DACC419-B3E8-4C83-AF3C-A96194BFC17C.jpeg
    7DACC419-B3E8-4C83-AF3C-A96194BFC17C.jpeg
    551.1 KB · Views: 53
Wade with Outfitters Pack Station can make ironcloth over the saddle panniers, definitely well built. Iron cloth is much stronger/longer lasting than canvas or cordura like most other makers use. Downfall is it will be a little bulkier setup then the pack lite meat panniers that mountain ridge makes.

Wyomuleskinner

Lil-Rokslider
Wade with Outfitters Pack Station can make ironcloth over the saddle panniers, definitely well built. Iron cloth is much stronger/longer lasting than canvas or cordura like most other makers use. Downfall is it will be a little bulkier setup then the pack lite meat panniers that mountain ridge makes.

Smith and Edwards has the best deal I've seen on the iron cloth panniers if your into that sort of thing