Overboots?

*zap*

WKR
I have icebreaker boot blankets and artic shield boot covers. Icebreakers are super warm and bulky and the artic shield are somewhat warm and pretty compact. I bet I could wear an uninsulated boot to walk in and the icebreakers would keep my feet warm...….will find out in a few months have not used them yet. The artic shields have seen a bunch of use but really did not have the amount of insulation I wanted for very cold sits. I have worn them walking in a few times with no troubles.

OP
westonadkins
I have icebreaker boot blankets and artic shield boot covers. Icebreakers are super warm and bulky and the artic shield are somewhat warm and pretty compact. I bet I could wear an uninsulated boot to walk in and the icebreakers would keep my feet warm...….will find out in a few months have not used them yet. The artic shields have seen a bunch of use but really did not have the amount of insulation I wanted for very cold sits. I have worn them walking in a few times with no troubles.

See that's more my price range. I want to add something to my uninsulated boots for sits but the $200 boot covers seemed maybe a little excessive..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Werty

WKR
I take an extra pair socks, I run uninsulated boots with a thin sock "sweaty feet".

OP
westonadkins

Forgot to add. Any qualms with the quality of these more conservatively priced ones?

Pepe55

FNG
I have used the boot blankets on below zero sits and they're good for the money , these are a little costly but really cool

gchs4464

FNG
I also use the artic shield boot covers, I typically use them for November tree stand sits. They do pretty well, not great but I’m pleased

*zap*

WKR
Wiggy is a very good salesman.....I have talked to him 3-4 times. He makes good stuff but take it all with a grain of salt.

RAPTOR

WKR
I don't have any that are made for walking, but I've tried all the stationary overboots. Arctic Shield sucked. Icebreaker were good. Best I tried and still use are the Boot Suits. Most important thing for any of them is that you put them on as soon as you sit down, and not when your feet begin to get cold.

Gonewest

WKR
I use the Boot Blankets when stand hunting here in Michigan. I put a couple of hand warmers in then put my feet in without boots.

OP
westonadkins
I ordered the boot blankets to try and my buddy went with those 40 below. I'll update this with our collective thoughts. Thanks all for chiming in!

I've used the Arctic shields and even with hand warmers inside them have never thought they worked at all. I just bought a pair of the Feathered Friends down booties and am hoping I can use those and not be as big and bulky as the ice breakers. The reviews have people using them in camp down to the teens, so I'm gonna try taking my boots off and sitting on stand with just the booties and see how that goes. Could always add a hand warmer if needed to get them a bit lower. They will pack down much smaller than the ice breakers, so hoping it works.

*zap*

WKR
So, the majority of boots or overboots have no insulation in the bottom under your foot which is a critical area for cold coming into the boot.....cut some insoles from a piece of refletix or something similar and you add 10 degrees or more of warmth to your foot area. I think the icebreakers have some insulation under the foot but I cut some insoles for mine anyway......I pretty much add the refletix insoles to any boot I wear once it hits 40's for lows when I am hunting/camping.

PredatorX

WKR
I use the Boot Blankets when stand hunting here in Michigan. I put a couple of hand warmers in then put my feet in without boots.

I've been doing this for many years as well. Talk about comfy.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I have a pair of the Arctic shields. They cut wind and have some heat retention. They are OK for me but if I was sitting in really cold temps I would be looking for another option. If you go that route size bigger than you think. Mine go over size 13 uninsulated boots but are tough to close over bulky insulated boots.

Conductive heat loss to a stand or ground is another issue. Having a piece of carpet or padding under your feet between you can metal or the ground is a good thing.