Overlooked hunts in the east

Sturgies

FNG
Hey Rokslide

I, like many others travel from out east to the mountains and likely overlook options closer to home that dont require the travel and time off as a western hunt.

I've enjoyed traveling to northern Alabama to the Bankhead forest for a late season deer hunt. Plenty of camping and cheap non res tags in comparison to western options. Its muchbmore about camping and time spent with good buddies than tagging out.

What are some of your eastern hunts you look forward to?

Attachments

• 20180127_085333_HDR.jpg
    20180127_085333_HDR.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 237

NY16ga

FNG
We have an early season bear hunt (September) here in NY that I might try out. It will be thick and warm and my expectations are low but I'll have to replace my prairie bird hunting trip with something so I figure I'll give it a try.

OP
Sturgies

Sturgies

FNG
We have an early season bear hunt (September) here in NY that I might try out. It will be thick and warm and my expectations are low but I'll have to replace my prairie bird hunting trip with something so I figure I'll give it a try.
What happened to the prairie hunt being cancelled? A couple friends and I may chase some prairie chickens in Nebraska

Rich M

WKR
I agree with the Maine reference - was raised hunting ME, NH, VT in the 70s-90s. Low deer numbers but a good chance at a true monster in body & rack. My uncle has 4 over 200#, up to 248# dressed. Guy we hunted with in VT had a dozen over 200# - he would out walk everyone and the bucks would stand there & watch him going by - LOL.

You can also hunt bears in ME - they bait em due to the thick cover. Not a bear hunter here, used to see em every now and again tho.

Otherwise, in my experience, "out west" has more visible critters and is much funner & easier hunting.

Hey Rokslide

I, like many others travel from out east to the mountains and likely overlook options closer to home that dont require the travel and time off as a western hunt.

I've enjoyed traveling to northern Alabama to the Bankhead forest for a late season deer hunt. Plenty of camping and cheap non res tags in comparison to western options. Its muchbmore about camping and time spent with good buddies than tagging out.

What are some of your eastern hunts you look forward to?

We went to bankhead this past spring looking for hogs. We knew the success rate was low, but we looked at it like a hiking/ camping trip while carrying a gun. Absolutely beautiful scenery there. A ton of public. Pretty rugged as well. Locals were extremely nice. I would love to go back and explore again one day. Resized_20200207_104621.jpg

OP
Sturgies

Sturgies

FNG
Hogs at bankhead was a draw for us while deer hunting as well. We found some decent sign and activity and spotted a giant in an ag field while driving one morning in the dark. We couldn't hunt the wilderness area but still ran into some pretty neat country.

We used that January hunt as a dry run for our newly purchased gear for our first elk hunt that next September.

Alabama spring turkey hunting is lots of fun. Season opens way earlier then anything here. Lots of big country too in the Talladega NF. I’ve yet to go and not kill one. But, you put on a lot of miles to find them. Just a good Hunt.

In the past, I’ve hog hunted in Florida doing the early months of the year. Lots of hogs too. But, I’d go with an outfitter if possible.

FLAK

WKR
Alabama spring turkey hunting is lots of fun. Season opens way earlier then anything here. Lots of big country too in the Talladega NF. I’ve yet to go and not kill one. But, you put on a lot of miles to find them. Just a good Hunt.

In the past, I’ve hog hunted in Florida doing the early months of the year. Lots of hogs too. But, I’d go with an outfitter if possible.

I grew up next to the TNF. I absolutely LOVE that place.

elkyinzer

WKR
Could you explain. Guys in my Catskill deer camp hunted Sikas a few years back, in Maryland, and did well. Has something changed?

Relatively speaking it's a small population in a smaller geographic area with even less public land. There was a meateater episode glorifying it. He has a loyal following and the resulting surge was entirely predictable. Lots of respect for Rinella in general but that was an awfully shitty move to bring attention to such a limited huntery.

Relatively speaking it's a small population in a smaller geographic area with even less public land. There was a meateater episode glorifying it. He has a loyal following and the resulting surge was entirely predictable. Lots of respect for Rinella in general but that was an awfully shitty move to bring attention to such a limited huntery.
MeatEater did an episode on Maryland Sikas.

Thanks for the enlightenment guys.

I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll not voice my opinion of him.

Hogs at bankhead was a draw for us while deer hunting as well. We found some decent sign and activity and spotted a giant in an ag field while driving one morning in the dark. We couldn't hunt the wilderness area but still ran into some pretty neat country.

We used that January hunt as a dry run for our newly purchased gear for our first elk hunt that next September.

What state is Bankhead in? I’ve never heard of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slaton

Lil-Rokslider
Cohutta in North Georgia mountains are always an adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk