overnight bivouac

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
Curious to know how many times anyone has done an overnight bivouac because they had located sheep but was too late to get in a shooting situation and so waited it out until the next morning.

Bambistew

WKR
Once the night before, only to pass on the ram we waited out. I've slept out on the mountain a few times after killing one near dark-thirty and not wanting to climb down in the dark.

Ram94

WKR
Did it this past year with just a backpacking tarp and the clothes we were wearing. It rained and snowed all night relentlessly. Most miserable 8 hours of my life. And the rams ghosted us to boot. Ended up getting one the day after.

VernAK

WKR
Years back!
We carried those little candle lanterns and we'd sit cross-legged with a space blanket around us and the candle between our legs. Not a comfortable position but it helped to keep us warm. Those UCO candle lanterns are now made that hold three plumbers candles for about 7-8 hour burn and 5K BTU. I carry one in each of my vehicles in the winter.

Last year I went on a stalk and took my pad and sleeping bag, knowing full well if I killed him I'd be sleeping on the side of a mountain. I ended up getting the ram, taking care of the meat and just laid out the pad and bag. It was a beautiful night, but woke up at the ass crack of dawn and got moving right away. Snow and rain came shortly after, so I got lucky. I'd do it again.

I’m usually prepared to spike out in the event that I get on something, yet not able to close the deal before night fall. That particular scenario has never occurred for me, although on two occasions I’ve killed animals that I wasn’t able to get cleaned, packed up, and carried off the mountain before dark, so I ended up just spiking out right there and packing the animal off the next morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leoni1

FNG
I’m usually prepared to spike out in the event that I get on something, yet not able to close the deal before night fall. That particular scenario has never occurred for me, although on two occasions I’ve killed animals that I wasn’t able to get cleaned, packed up, and carried off the mountain before dark, so I ended up just spiking out right there and packing the animal off the next morning.

^^^ this

I typically keep a small tarp I’m my pack, and also pack up my sleeping bag and pad every morning.

The extra 3 lbs in your pack won’t hold you back, and often opens up options that you would not otherwise have in terms of putting sheep to bed or spending the night on the mountain if you kill an animal just before dark.

The safety margin that it gives you is worth the weight.

duchntr

WKR
Last year sort off, stalked a group at first light, got hung up on another group between us and the legal rams ended up waiting for a long period of time before they moved off. Ended up doubling at last light, made it back to camp around 9am. It wasn't bad, nice change of pace from the 8-5 office work in the city. I always pack a tarp and from then on I will bring puff pants in addition to my normal loadout.

Attachments

• P1010275.jpeg
    P1010275.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 62
Last year I went on a stalk and took my pad and sleeping bag, knowing full well if I killed him I'd be sleeping on the side of a mountain. I ended up getting the ram, taking care of the meat and just laid out the pad and bag. It was a beautiful night, but woke up at the ass crack of dawn and got moving right away. Snow and rain came shortly after, so I got lucky. I'd do it again.

You couldn't have picked a more spectacular spot to bivy out with your ram! I'm sure you would do that again haha.

I got caught out a couple years ago when my partner and I doubled up on Caribou on a backpack hunt in September. Of course as it would turn out, this was the one time I did not have an emergency bivy or a legit puffy. I crawled under my pack cover and slept only a tiny bit between waking up shivering badly and having to do air squats and push ups most of the night.
I always make sure to keep either a SOL emergency bivy or my Borah Bivy as well as my Nunatak PCT puffy jacket and pants (depending on time of year) with me now. If your away from camp, your pack will be light anyhow, so don't wimp out on not carrying a couple extra lbs of gear that will make a huge difference if your caught out. It will also give you the ability to choose to stay out if you do get on a ram close to dark, and that could mean all the difference to your success.

My first sheep hunt I was solo and ended up getting a ram late in the day. Pulled my Barney's Carnivore bag up over my waist and put on everything I had with me. Built a tiny little fire and shivered all night. At least I had fresh ram to eat and plenty of water. Now, I carry some items that would make such a scenario much more pleasant.

idig4au

WKR
Yep, did it on my snow sheep hunt on Kamchatka last year. Slept on my pack, butt pad in all my puffy insulation and rain gear. I survived the night. Shot a nice sheep the next day. It added to the experience and memories.

last year was the first time ive had to do it in my sheep hunting career. september 11th, 6500ft eleveation, 2 dead rams, no sleeping bag. ill remember that night for a long time