Overrated Gear

Ditto. Kuiu would be my answer as well.....
I agree besides their rain gear, and I have one of the heavy peloton hoodies that’s like 5 years old with a ton of use and still in pretty good shape… nothing special about it besides durability, but I do wear it a ton

Macchina

Lil-Rokslider
Zebralight headlamp or bust. One 18650 battery lasted the entire Fall for me this year. Multiple week long trips, and several day hunts. Still at 50%. I don't get it, but it's voodoo magic.
I agree. I have run Zebralights for over a decade. Once you figure their UI out, they are simply the best. Their power and efficiency are unmatched. I mostly run the 18650 versions, but also have an AA Zebralight headlamp I keep in the hip pocket of my hunting pack, it runs for a whole season on a single 14500. They are incredible and don't get the credit they deserve.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for Black Diamond headlamps being a complete PITA!

I actually really like the black diamond buttons as it has a memory and I don’t have to adjust the brightness every time I turn it on, have tried many others and bd seems the most straightforward to me 🤷‍♂️

CB4

WKR
Mine was a Jet Boil. Worked just like it should except for the ignition on it. Besides that was what it said it was.
Replaced it for less money with a toaks 650 ml pot a uber small burner from Amazon for 7 dollars. New kit weighs 1/3 of the old kit for less money and works just as well. Oh takes up half the space.
I had the same issue with mine for 2 years. However I finally figured out this year that the little wire that makes the spark(I'm sure it has a technical name) got bent down so it was too close to the burner. It would still spark but not light the burner. Messing with it in camp this year and bent the wire up and its back to normal function. To your other point is not that light or compact.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I have always used a cheap burner and cup that a small fuel canister sits in along with the burner, never had a reason to try jetboil, it just didn’t seem worth the weight or cost over what I use. The igniter on mine got bent so I just removed it for weight reduction lol

SwiftShot

WKR
I had the same issue with mine for 2 years. However I finally figured out this year that the little wire that makes the spark(I'm sure it has a technical name) got bent down so it was too close to the burner. It would still spark but not light the burner. Messing with it in camp this year and bent the wire up and its back to normal function. To your other point is not that light or compact.
I know my new kit weighs about 1/3. I am running a toaks 550 with a BSR stove. It is so so nice. Really weighs nothing and takes up no space. Picked up a collapsing cup made of silicone for 2 dollars at Wally World. Less money and better for my needs.

CB4

WKR
I know my new kit weighs about 1/3. I am running a toaks 550 with a BSR stove. It is so so nice. Really weighs nothing and takes up no space. Picked up a collapsing cup made of silicone for 2 dollars at Wally World. Less money and better for my needs.
Very similar system to what my hunting partner runs. I am jealous of the weight and size but his on average takes twice as long to boil water. No system is perfect IMO.

equinox

FNG
Whatever works is the old adage I still go by. I just buy whats cheap and works. Most of these brands, especially the clothing, I could care less about. If it worked in 1985 it probably still works in 2022. But If I can get a steal on something nice, sure I might bite.

Foxsoup

FNG
I get the expensive game bag hate. I’ve got 2 kuiu bone out game bags, one med one large. I use the med as my food bag on most of my backpacking trips and I use the large as a gear bag. This year I got my buck using my 35 litre day pack, I filled the 2 game bags put the rest in an Alaskan game bag. The Alaskan game bag went in the pack, the head got strapped on the back and picked up the 2 kuiu game bags by there handles and walked out the mile, nice and easy for farmland hunting. As game bags they are over priced, but i get multiple uses from them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
Unexpected helpful truck data here...

I second the "Kryptek rain gear is over hyped comments". Got a full set and it was a catastrophic disappointment in SE Alaska: left me soaked and severely hypothermic.

Oddly enough, thinking about it that's one of the few bad recommendations I've gleaned from people I trust. In some cases I think I paid too much to justify some items in my gear closet but most of it has worked out Well

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
Expensive broadheads. If you've had an amazing experience with expensive heads that's great. I shoot the most expensive, bishop holy Trinitys. The problem is they are just way way too easily lost for something so expensive. If I ever lose these 30$ bhs from here on out

Spiblin

FNG
Jetboil stoves for me. It's just so much heavier and expensive compared to other options, and isn't as versatile. I love my little msr pocket rocket way more and its significantly cheaper. I understand it's not as fast or efficient for boiling water, but I've never had running out of fuel become an issue and I'm not the type to be in a rush to cook when hunting.

Expensive broadheads. If you've had an amazing experience with expensive heads that's great. I shoot the most expensive, bishop holy Trinitys. The problem is they are just way way too easily lost for something so expensive. If I ever lose these 30$ bhs from here on out
500$ for 3😧

I also learned the wire can get built up with crap. You can trim the end with pair of nail clippers and pull out the wire a tad from ceramic base

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterk123

WKR
Jetboil stoves for me. It's just so much heavier and expensive compared to other options, and isn't as versatile. I love my little msr pocket rocket way more and its significantly cheaper. I understand it's not as fast or efficient for boiling water, but I've never had running out of fuel become an issue and I'm not the type to be in a rush to cook when hunting.
I never understood the love for jet boils. I too use a tiny little pocket rocket type burner. Then I can use whatever pot, or mug, I want.